How to connect my CarPC to my sound system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to connect my CarPC to my sound system

Ok, well I will be buying/building a car PC in the near feature. One of the things I will be purchasing is a Lilliput 7" In-Dash Motorized Touchscreen found here - http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...roducts_id=206 -

I want to know how it would be possible to connect my computer VIA the VGA adapter + USB (for touchscreen capabilities) and also connect the sound through this. Would I have to purchase an amp? Would it be more beneficial to buy an external screen and mount it somwhere else and just buy a new head unit to go through?

I am very very new to car components in general and this is the one part that really has me confused as far as how to hook things up.

At the top of every subsection is a list of FAQs... what you have asked is covered in these faqs. Due to this, you will get quite a bit of neative responses. There is also a search function. You may want to explore it.

This forum is a resource for research, but not a hand holding service. We expect the new users to do a little work before we generally respond.

I see your new so please dont take this offensively. So far you got off easy.
    Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

Hey Will, maybe if there were less dickheads like you this fourm would be more helpfull ??
      MECA Car Audio Judge

Comment

Sorry, someone had to do it!
        Check out the updates. Project 2003 Dakota worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85490

IS JACK BAUER GONNA HAVE TO SMACK A *****?

Comment

Originally posted by snoopdan
          Hey Will, maybe if there were less dickheads like you this fourm would be more helpfull ??
          For the name-calling you can have three days off.
          If there were less people calling users names, the forum would be a lot more firendly, too.

A lot of forum members have invested a lot of time and effort to compile information for newbies. frank112916, this thread is an excellent place to start reading & learning: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78795
          Welcome to our hobby.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

frank:

Yes you can you this unit for you audio.

It has an internal amplifier so you would not need to purchase one. You will, however, need to gain access to the wires that go to your car speakers. These are almost always available in the dashboard where your current car stereo plugs in. You can usually buy a handy adapter harness that plugs in place of your car stereo and gives you direct and easy access to the required speaker and power wires. Depending on your car, it can get a lot more complicated than that.

Alternatively, you can choose not to use the lilliput for your audio. Perhaps if you are in love with your current car stereo, or maybe your current stereo has much higher audio quality.

You might be able to get more specific answers if you let us know exactly what kind of car it is.

I hope this helps, Good Luck.
            ** Denotes an "in car" post
            In-Car posts made from passenger seat - Be safe, Don't Post and Drive.

Comment

Originally posted by walky_talky20
              frank:

Yes you can you this unit for you audio.

It has an internal amplifier so you would not need to purchase one. You will, however, need to gain access to the wires that go to your car speakers. These are almost always available in the dashboard where your current car stereo plugs in. You can usually buy a handy adapter harness that plugs in place of your car stereo and gives you direct and easy access to the required speaker and power wires. Depending on your car, it can get a lot more complicated than that.

Alternatively, you can choose not to use the lilliput for your audio. Perhaps if you are in love with your current car stereo, or maybe your current stereo has much higher audio quality.

You might be able to get more specific answers if you let us know exactly what kind of car it is.

I hope this helps, Good Luck.

Thanks alot, and it's a 2002 Dodge Neon.
              The thing is, the only inputs are for the speakers, a VGA input, USB for touchscreen, and 2x RCA (which includes a video source). Now I was going to just get a 3.5mm M to RCA but if I use this...I might have to turn to auxillary sound which might switch to AUX video also, but I want it specifically from the VGA w/ the AUX sound. That's my problem solved if turning it to AUX still keeps the VGA input on.

I'm sorry about this thread guys, I was looking through the faq and I guess I just didn't look hard enough. And the first poster wasn't being a dick, he's just tellin the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by frank112916
                I'm sorry about this thread guys, I was looking through the faq and I guess I just didn't look hard enough. And the first poster wasn't being a dick, he's just tellin the truth.
                Don't be sorry, man.
                Most newbies don't realize the depth of the information in the FAQs here. Also, It's refreshing to see a newbie that doesn't get offended when the get shown where to find the correct information.
                We're all librarians pointing newbies toward the card catalog.

No matter what your project goals are, there are some ways to make it go smoother:
                1) Plan thoroughly. Plan everything from component purchases to wiring to audio upgrades to fabrication. Keeping a worklong here s a convenient way to keep track of your plan as it changes... And it will change along the way.
                2) The FAQ Emporium is a great source of information, as you've been told already. The Show Off Your Project forum is a great source of inspiration and ideas, as well. I haven't encountered a member yet who isn't willing to discuss their setup, pros & cons, and what pitfalls to avoid.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Do NOT go out and buy all of the products that you *think* you need after only having read a week worth of stuff on these boards.

TAKE your time! And welcome!
                  Jan Bennett
                  FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                    Do NOT go out and buy all of the products that you *think* you need after only having read a week worth of stuff on these boards.

TAKE your time! And welcome!

I kept on making that mistake and jumping the gun....i ended up replacing everything i had originally bought and not using most of it.
                    PostCount++

- SrCsTc's Bezel
                    - Alpine W200/H701
                    - ED Nine.2X
                    - OZ Matrix Elites
                    - ED Nine.1
                    - Idmax 12's

Comment

You also might want to be aware on how far you want this project to go and how much you're willing to spend, because those factors are co-dependant. Like these guys are saying take your time and dont rush into it because you're bound to run into more problems if you just throw it all together just to get it. Some newbies may be in over their heads when jumping into this project, in terms of install skills, money, and time. You'll find out that the hardest portion of this project is the integration of all the equiptment into your car. But as long as you've done your homework and have the right equiptment, you will be fine.
                      And dont be afraid to ask anymore questions on this forum. Just be sure you search before hand and dont double post, that is one thing that annoys most people. You may run into people with attitudes who think they are under appreciated elitest or just needs a hug. But if you have a legitimate question you'll be sure that someone will come on here to help you.
                      "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
                      "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
                      [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

legitimate questions always get answered, it's the nonlegit ones that don't, and that lead to flame wars..

Jan Bennett
                        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Then flame wars lead to hatred and then hatred leads to division in the forums....umm

yeah so and but if you are still stumped...
                          or better that you have a halfway idea...
                          POST AWAY!

but .... keep on topic.......dont post wats a sound car in a fabrication section...now that tics people off...legidimate question or not!
                          Brown 2010

Comment

Working...
                          X