Proper grounding method.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper grounding method.

Is it better to run your ground all the way back to your battery instead of just bolting it to the car next to the amp? I keep researching and researching just to find mixed information. Does it make a difference? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

A shorter ground is better in most cases.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
      A shorter ground is better in most cases.
      Yeah that, and even better, ground it into a bolt somewhere in the back (like another washer)
      Carputer? ~ Rainbow Profi Vanadium Kickbass ~ Memphis Belle ~ Diamond Audio D6 x2 ~ AudioControl Matrix

Comment

Its always best to remove the paint in the area you are attaching the ground wire as best you can. If you're not using an existing bolt, i'd suggest you use a star washer as well so that it would create a good connection between the bare chasis and the ground wire.
        And i'd recommend upgrading the gauge or adding an additional wire from your negative terminal of you're battery to the chasis of your car.

Edit: Dont forget to upgrade the engine ground as well
        "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
        "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
        [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

panict: don't forget to recommend to upgrade the engine ground too.

Comment

Well, what I'm reading is saying to go back to the battery for a ground instead of just grounding to the chassis. It's saying to do this to prevent noise from entering the system through the ground. Is this true?

BTW, this is coming from Car PC Hacks by Damien Stolarz. Not really sure how reliable this book/author is, I just have a habit of reading every technical book that I can get my hands on

Thanks for all of the input!

Comment

I grounded my 2 amps and my computer (with a bit longer ground cable) and I have absolutely no regrets. No alternator whine. Sounds clean.
              PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
              GammaControl v2.4
              SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

Originally posted by 0l33l
                I grounded my 2 amps and my computer (with a bit longer ground cable) and I have absolutely no regrets. No alternator whine. Sounds clean.
                Good that you grounded it but to where!
                Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster
                  Good that you grounded it but to where!
                  There was a stock grounding location in my trunk. So I just took out that bolt and added three other cables to it.
                  PowerVoice v1 | NaviVoice Source
                  GammaControl v2.4
                  SKINbedder v3

1995 Lexus SC300

Comment

One thing that I did to ensure an excellent ground when I installed my two amps underneath my front seats was to screw the amps directly into the chasis. I have experienced a level of alternator whine in the past and under the advice of the audio expert that built my current subwoofer box, I drilled directly into the floor of the truck. IMPORTANT!! Before you decide this is a good idea for you, LOOK UNDER YOUR CAB!!!! I took a good look underneath the cab of my truck and there was nothing that could possibly get damaged, so I removed my seats, drilled pilot holes for the machine screws, then screwed my amps directly to the chasis. Just try to steal my amps now!!! This provides an excellent grounding source for my truckputer because I then ran the ground wires from the video amplifier as well as the breadbox (my computer) and I have absolutely no static or alternator whine. Again, if you decide this is an option for you, MAKE SURE that you check under your vehicle and make sure that you are not going hit your gas tank, electrical system, etc.
                    Check out the updates. Project 2003 Dakota worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85490

IS JACK BAUER GONNA HAVE TO SMACK A *****?

Comment

I ran a separate 1/0 cable from the neg terminal back to a grounding distro block for my application. I also had a bunch of different electronics going in (not JUST a carPC). We did this to ensure no ground loops. Depending on the complexity of your system, it could be the better option for you.

If you're just running a CarPC and an amp or two, then I would recommend trying to install everything fairly close together so you can use one common grounding point and keep your grounds as short as possible.
                      Jan Bennett
                      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

when you say shorter is better for a ground line, I have about a 1-2 ft wire to ground is that too long, should I try shorter?

Comment

18 wire inches is the accepted norm.

If it's not giving you problems though, I wouldn't necessarily worry about it.

Just make sure that your ground wire is the same gauge or bigger than your power wire.
                          Jan Bennett
                          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I also did a distribution block straight to the battery... never had a noise issue. It was a obvious choice for me, however as the battery is in the trunk anyway.
                            Is this where the witty comment goes?
                            97 Black pearl Mazda Miata MX-5 Carpc V2? maybee..

Comment

Working...
                            X