Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alt whine problem solved, now do I need more powerful amp?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alt whine problem solved, now do I need more powerful amp?

Hey all,

For all the folks that have seen my dozen or so posts over the last 10 months about the alt. whine problem I had in my car - it's gone. Long and short of it is that regrounding and really scraping down the ground point to a mirror finish knocked the whine level down to about 10-20% of what it was before. Then I went back to my amp and started the tuning with the gains turned all the way down and BANG - no more alt. whine!!!! The problem is, even with the carpc volume setting at 100% now, I am only about 70-80% of where I'd like my max volume to be. So, do I have to get a more powerful amp to have more volume with the gain turned all the way down? Alternatively, will a better quality amp allow me to turn the gain higher without inducing the whine?

Thanks,

Mark

Gain has notting to so with the whine.

Comment

Kicker, you're totally wrong. If the gain is set higher it's more likely to amplify inducted noise that's picked up in the signal cables.

vette. The gain is not a volume knob! The gain allows you to match the amplifier's input voltage with the source unit's output voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow
        Kicker, you're totally wrong. If the gain is set higher it's more likely to amplify inducted noise that's picked up in the signal cables.

vette. The gain is not a volume knob! The gain allows you to match the amplifier's input voltage with the source unit's output voltage.

Ah, yes, I do recall someone saying something like this before, and I am quite sure you are dead on. Well, I have used 3 different sound cards now, and I've just about engineered the hell out of this setup, and this is where I'm at now. Any recommendations on how I can get more volume out of this type of setup? Thanks a ton!

Mark

Comment

what sound card are you currently running and what sound cards have you run?

Originally posted by kickercivic1
          Gain has notting to so with the whine.
          looks like Shadow already nailed this one down...lol
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I have run the onboard sound (NForce3 150 6-channel ALC650), an Audigy 2 NX, and now a Turtle Beach Montego 7.1 DDL card. They all seem to max out around the same volume, which is a small but noticable deal lower than what the basic stock radio would put out by way of volume (in other words, I am not trying to get ear-splitting sound here).

Comment

I'm tempted to say that it has more to do with your voltage output levels on those cards.

You wouldn't happen to know what those would be on the external cards would you? Onboard is rearely more than .5v.

Also, I'm assuming you have messed with ALL settings in windows. What media player are you using? WinAmp, WMP? Also, what are your MP3s recorded at? Are you basing your comparisons on the same recordings or just a general statement?
              Jan Bennett
              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I dunno the voltage output on those cards, or even where to begin looking, but I will start Googling. Over the 9 months I have been trying to eliminate the whine, I have used most all of the media players commonly used here: Winamp, Media Player 9 and 10, Media Player Classic, as well as reloading the machine a half dozen times. I have tried maxing out things like the Winamp Pre-amp, etc. to gain some volume, but even when I adjust it back, it hasn't seemed to help if the whine is already there....

Thanks for thinking through this with me. I am going to try to find the external voltage info.

Comment

Oooh! Get a good line driver. Audiocontrol makes an awesome one.

Comment

Do you have a model # by any chance Shadow?

Comment

Originally posted by vettejock99

if i were you i'd get a x-over from audio control, like the 24xs. It will give you a great hardware x-over and as an added benefit you'll get a boosted signal as well. I noticed a nice bump in SQ when i added it to my old system.
                      New System in progress:
                      M10k
                      Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                      Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                      Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                      Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                      Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                      My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

I say this to everyone with CarPC's and noise in the audio line - ground your case. I don't mean just a ground to the PSU but actually on the outside of the metal case. If your PC case is not metal, then get one. My personal tests showed that the closer you add this ground to the audio card the better.

Make sure to get a good metal-metal connection. So sand down any paint at the grounding point(s) and I recommend the use of star washers, too. Use the same guage (or thicker) wire as you did for your 12v+ and keep it under 16" in length.

I had a problem with weird noises, clicks, hdd/cd-rom spinning, alternator/engine whine etc through the speakers for a LONG time. Finally last week I added a good ground to my case (near the sound card by the PCI slots in the back) and I'm amazed at how clean the sound is now.

I also added a line driver today and I'm VERY pleased with that as well.
                        My Install Thread
                        digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
                        How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

Originally posted by vettejock99
                          Just search for Audiocontrol Line Driver. They only make 2 I think; a 2-channel and either a 4-channel or 6-channel. They're either white or grey(they call this salmon for some reason).

Comment

Working...
                          X