Small rca amp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small rca amp

I've just installed my video system and now I've found that my dvd player does not put out enough audio to push both sides of the stero sound. I only get the left hand side of the sound from both my fm modulator and my rf output. I'm looking for a small amplifier that takes rca imputs and has rca outputs. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

sounds like you are looking for a line driver.
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

That's what I was looking at. I read up on them and it appears that they'll multiple the output by 6 to 10. My question is would that be enough of a boost to push all of my speakers? I emailed the tech support for the dvd player and they didn't know. Here is a link to the dvd player I have.
      http://www.mp3playerstore.com/stuff_...d/dvd/FD-1.htm

Here is a link to the line driver I'm looking at.
      http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=1074

The video system is in my 2002 chevrolet trailblazer.
      I appreciate the input.

Comment

it doesn't do anything about pushing the speakers. it boost the signal that goes into the amp... the amp powers the speakers. how do you have this thing hooked up?
        New System in progress:
        M10k
        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

The dvd player is only hooked up to the factory audio system through the fm modulator. The video signal is boosted by a video splitter and amp. The audio isn't amped in any way. Thanks for the help.

Comment

i'm not sure that the voltage on the rca's is your problem (that's what a line driver will boost) it sounds like htere may be an equipment fault. what happens when you switch the rca's? (put the left on the right and vise versa)
            New System in progress:
            M10k
            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

When I switch the left ouput with the right output the right side works and the other way around. I know all of my cables are good and I know my fr output and my fm modulator works. At first I thought it might be the aux cable that came out of the back of the dvd player. I appreciate the help.

J.Lee

Comment

If the problem switches, it's not the source, it's whatever the source is running through.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow
                  If the problem switches, it's not the source, it's whatever the source is running through.

no...shouldnt it be the source? the right signal rca isnt working if he swapps them and the sound goes from the left to the right. if it was the modulator that was faulting, switching them would have no effect. unless i read his post wrong.
                  New System in progress:
                  M10k
                  Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                  My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

If you aren't getting sound out of one of the outputs, then there's something wrong with the outputs or the cables. The line amps within the DVD player don't have a problem where 'there isn't enough power to push both sides'. If you aren't getting sound out of one of the channels, it's the player, or the cables. A line driver can't amplify what isn't there.

Also, if the problem moves (when you swap left and right), then the problem IS the source.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow
                      Scratch that, reverse it. The source IS the problem. I misread his post.

Comment

The thing that I can't figure out is that why if the watt output of the dvd player wasn't stong enough why can I get left side sound? The right side sound through the rf ouput is scratches, hisses, and some actual dvd audio. I can tell that I do need some type of amp though. When I play the audio through the radio (fm modulator) I have to turn the sound way up to hear it. That at least tells me I need an amp. When I use the fm modulator I don't hear any right side audio. I'm not sure it that's because the audio is so weak that you just can't hear that side. I appreciate all the help. I've emailed the distributor and told them that I feel like it's the dvd player has a problem and unless they know how to fix it I need an rma and a replacement.

Thanks again.

Comment

Ok, crazy question. I have a 200 watt amp that has RCA input and speaker wire output. Shouldn't I be able to split and strip an RCA cable and hook the outside wire in the rca cable to the negative speaker wire ouput terminal on the amp and the inside wire of the rca cable to the positive speaker wire output terminal on the amp and it work? As long as I strip the two wires so that they never touch shouldn't it work? If not does anyone have any ideas how I could convert speaker wire outputs to rca? Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by carpcguy
                            The thing that I can't figure out is that why if the watt output of the dvd player wasn't stong enough why can I get left side sound? The right side sound through the rf ouput is scratches, hisses, and some actual dvd audio. I can tell that I do need some type of amp though. When I play the audio through the radio (fm modulator) I have to turn the sound way up to hear it. That at least tells me I need an amp. When I use the fm modulator I don't hear any right side audio. I'm not sure it that's because the audio is so weak that you just can't hear that side. I appreciate all the help. I've emailed the distributor and told them that I feel like it's the dvd player has a problem and unless they know how to fix it I need an rma and a replacement.

Thanks again.
                            part of your problem is the (crapy) fm modulator and part of your problem is the defective dvd player. to test this for yourself. hook up the dvd player directly to your amp (rca output from the dvd player to the rca input on the amp) I bet you'll see that the sound is great (minus the faulty righ chan)
                            New System in progress:
                            M10k
                            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by carpcguy
                              Ok, crazy question. I have a 200 watt amp that has RCA input and speaker wire output. Shouldn't I be able to split and strip an RCA cable and hook the outside wire in the rca cable to the negative speaker wire ouput terminal on the amp and the inside wire of the rca cable to the positive speaker wire output terminal on the amp and it work? As long as I strip the two wires so that they never touch shouldn't it work? If not does anyone have any ideas how I could convert speaker wire outputs to rca? Thanks again.

this would ruin anything you hooked that rca cable to. You should take some time and read up on pre-amp signal and line level signal and the differences of each. what you are proposing to do is the equivelant of buying a v6 engine to power an electric shaver (no really...but that is on the same level of absudity)
                              New System in progress:
                              M10k
                              Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                              My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Working...
                              X