Amplifier Help please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amplifier Help please

Hi. I went to brandsmart and bought an rf p3002 amp for 70 dollars, they are discontinued so they selling cheap, but only had one left, and was a floor model. I tried it out, first i hooked it up using my old wiring, 8awg. Stuck in protect mode. I tried each channel seperate, first channel it works, second channel back in protect mode. I thought maybe it was the wiring. Went picked up some 5awg, tried it out still in protect mode. Wouldnt even work when i plugged it into one channel this time either. Now i have no fuses left the amps fuse blew, and wondering was the amp bad since i bought it?? or am i doing something wrong?? Would it be better just to return it at brandsmart, or send it to RF, its still under warrenty since i bought it today. Running my dual 2 sub in series to a 4 ohm load

I'm confused about how you are trying each channel seperate. You may need to post some sort of diagram on what you are trying to do.

Comment

i mean plugging my sub into one channel at a time

Comment

what would be better to run my amp with, 5awg with an 100 amp fuse or 8 awg with a 50 or 40 amp fuse. The amp has a 40 awg fuse on it. It was working for a second with 8 awg and a 40 amp. I was gonna replace the 40 amp with a 50 amp since it blew the 40 amp one.

Comment

First of all, if the amp went into protection when you hooked the sub to the second channel, then there's more than likely something wrong with the amp if it didn't play at all.

When you say it went into protection, was it instantly, or only after playing?

Secondly, you REALLY need to learn more about power and fuses.

Never throw a bigger fuse in a circuit because the smaller one blew!

If the 40a fuse on the amplifier blew, then something is wrong. Replacing that fuse with a larger fuse is only bringing you closer to a short or a fire. If it keeps going into protect, either something is wrong with your wiring, or the amplifier is dead.

Also, you don't need to use larger power cable if the one you have is large enough. 8ga should be fine for a 40a amplifier.

Comment

it goes into protection instantly, and i meant adding a bigger fuse to my wire 50 amp instead of 40, not the amp itself. I kno not to put a bigger fuse on the amp than required.

Comment

Sounds like you've got a burnt (shorted) power output circuit. You might be able to see scorching if you take the cover off.
              homebrew sound deadening + sub and amp install... 04 Dakota QC

fuel economy calculators

Comment

well what do you think, should i just return it to brandsmart or ship it to RF to get it fixed??? So its like i paid 80 for a new amp?

Comment

Seeing as how BS doesn't have any more, I would, in your case, send it in.

fuel economy calculators

Comment

actually, screw it ill just return it and buy a better amp.

Comment

Good choice; sounded like you were wanting to go on the cheap so was reluctant to suggest that.

fuel economy calculators

Comment

Jahntassa, the damndest thing happened. A circuit breaker in my house kept tripping so I pried it out and replaced it with pennies. Now the breaker doesn't trip anymore.

Comment

Make sure your smoke detectors are working!

fuel economy calculators

Comment

Working...
                          X