SQ for $1500??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ for $1500??

Okay, I know jack squat about car audio but it's time to get that part of the car squared away. I'd liked to replace the stock (Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4) Infinity tweeters, 6.5s and 6x9s and add one 10" sub. I know I'll need an amp of some kind as well. What else is needed? I listen to rock 99% of the time. Any thing from CCR to Metallic and NIN. I'm not looking to win audio competitions, but I'm not looking for cheap crap either. Think middle to upper middle class here

If you had $1500 to spend on a system (with or with out head unit) what would you get?

Thanks.

I buy a non brand all in one from taiwan or hong kong or don king or some of those places and expend the $1410 in some whores.

Now seriusly man just read around cus this have been asked 100 times (latest was that retard with the scion that thinks that cus he pay $3000 he is better than any one else here, oh and that is what he claims he paid for is system..... yeah right!!! )

Search tips:

FAQ emporium (all of it)

Thanatos.
    RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
    We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

Originally posted by thanatos106
      I buy a non brand all in one from taiwan or hong kong or don king or some of those places and expend the $1410 in some whores.

Comment

$1500 isn't a lot of coin to spend on a system if you figure in amps. I'd get a higher end Alpine, Pioneer or Panasonic deck $300-400. I'd not put in 6x9s at all and get a kickass set of components $200-300. I'd buy a really good single 10 or 12 either DVC 2 ohm or 4 ohm SVC $150-250, then buy a good 4-channel amp to run the components and the sub off of (bridge 2 channels for the sub). $300-500

If you go with the top end of all my recommendations you'll come out about $1500. You'll be lower on some of the stuff so spend the rest on wiring. Go with at least 4AWG power and grounds and get GOOD interconnects.

Comment

Originally posted by Mobo
          Okay, I know jack squat about car audio but it's time to get that part of the car squared away. I'd liked to replace the stock (Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4) Infinity tweeters, 6.5s and 6x9s and add one 10" sub. I know I'll need an amp of some kind as well. What else is needed? I listen to rock 99% of the time. Any thing from CCR to Metallic and NIN. I'm not looking to win audio competitions, but I'm not looking for cheap crap either. Think middle to upper middle class here

If you had $1500 to spend on a system (with or with out head unit) what would you get?

Thanks.

I know how you feel, knowing jack squat and coming into a hobby you are really just looking for some leads. I agree with shadow...if you're going with a sq setup then drop the rear speakers... you dont need them in your car and they are just going to ruin your soundstage. as far as brands I've had good experience with cdt audio for speakers and they just came out with a new line of amps that are supposed to be top notch (the guy who used to design the old kick *** nakamichi amps is now designing for cdt). Shadow gives a lot of good advice too. for interconnects I really like knewkonceptz wires. compared to the old monster cable i ripped out of my car i really was ****ed that i spent so much more on monster cable and got an inferior product.

another company to check is elemental design. I recently purchased some of there 6.5" subs and am very impressed with the quality of their product. they also have a good price and reputation on their speakers and amps. 3ondubs has their amps and really is happy with them. oh..and they are an outstanding value.

lastly, check out image dynamics. I had one of their 12" subs in my car and absolutely loved it. I was shocked at the woofer/value ratio and all around performance. 3ondubs recently purchased some idmax subs (i think) and now needs back surgery because it hits so hard :-)

also...don't get a head unit. spend the money on a better usc dac, soundcard or active crossover
          New System in progress:
          M10k
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
          Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
          Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81064

I'd recomend that thread for starters.

Come in with some questions that show us that you have done a tad bit of research on your own, and I'd be happy to help out some more!
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Some of you may say $1,500 is not a lot or enough money for a good SQ setup. I'm sure I can do a lot from that money and get good ***** too.
              :::::EBAY:::::
              Sub amp JL 500/1 = ~$300
              Speakers amp JL 300/4 = ~$300
              Alpine Deck = ~$250
              Diamond Audio Hex 600a = ~$250
              D A 6x9 = ~$150
              Eclipse TI Sub= ~$300

MAX Total = ~1550
              Prices for these items can be cheaper if you're lucky. I can also substitute the JL amps for other low cost amps, I wouldn't spend 600 bucks on those amps, but more like $400 bucks.

Comment

eBay = no warranty

Have fun with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow
                  eBay = no warranty

Have fun with that.
                  If you're expecting some warranty, it might need to be professionally installed by an authorized dealer. If not it probably come with a 1 year warranty. Besides I think if electronics are gonna go bad, they either do it from the beginning or years later. I'd rather buy from ebay or an online retailer rather than cartoys or any other local dealers that costs 2X as much and another 1x-2x for installation. I trust my own work than some half-assed work done by some techs.

Comment

1 year > 0 years

Comment

if you REALLY know what you're doing, yes, I can see your point j2. However, if those half assed techs mess it up, it's their *** and the company has to pay to fix it. If YOU mess it up? out of your pocket.

I despise Ebay. You never REALLY know what you are getting, you have very little course of action IF somehting is wrong, paypal can suck a fat one, and dealing with the people who sell on ebay can be a ROYAL pita.

1 year beats out 0 by far.

Some people prefer to cut corners where ever they can manage to. They just don't throughly think out those corners that they are cutting first.
                      Jan Bennett
                      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by j2eDX
                        Some of you may say $1,500 is not a lot or enough money for a good SQ setup. I'm sure I can do a lot from that money and get good ***** too.
                        Sub amp JL 500/1 = ~$300
                        Alpine Deck = ~$250
                        D A 6x9 = ~$150
                        Eclipse TI Sub= ~$300

MAX Total = ~1550
                        Prices for these items can be cheaper if you're lucky. I can also substitute the JL amps for other low cost amps, I wouldn't spend 600 bucks on those amps, but more like $400 bucks.
                        ditch the 6x9's! if you want SQ you only need a good frontstage and a sub!
                        Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

CarPC: none at the moment
                        CLARION HX-D2
                        CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
                        CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
                        CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

Comment

Besides I think if electronics are gonna go bad, they either do it from the beginning or years later.

generally your right, things mostly fail when first used because they werent manu'd very well, or when they're reaching the end of their life

mind you, any number of factors can kill them at any time

working in a repair shop for couple years, you wouldnt believe some of the things people come in and say to us "i poured water on a plant, that was on my tv, and some water got in the tv, and now it doesnt work, do you think the water hurt it?"

my favourite of all time "my jvc faceplate is broken, can you replace the outer glass piece?" "no i'm sorry, from JVC its only available as one piece" "THAT'S BULLS**T, I CAN SEE THAT ITS MORE THAN ONE PIECE" "sir, thats because its broken, we cant repair that, it has to be replaced" "LET ME TALK TO YOUR MANAGER"

ahh, some people are stupid

and yes, from what i've ever dealt with, NO manufacturer (at least large manu) will cover any warranty issues from anything purchased on Ebay, mind you depending on the repair shop, they can... overlook.. where it was purchased, but that all depends on the manufacturers repair process :T, if they require a receipt for service, then ur screwed

Comment

Originally posted by FC3S
                            and yes, from what i've ever dealt with, NO manufacturer (at least large manu) will cover any warranty issues from anything purchased on Ebay, mind you depending on the repair shop, they can... overlook.. where it was purchased, but that all depends on the manufacturers repair process :T, if they require a receipt for service, then ur screwed
                            not completely true...cdt actually sells their own speakers on ebay.
                            New System in progress:
                            M10k
                            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Sub amp JL 500/1 = ~$300
                              Alpine Deck = ~$250
                              D A 6x9 = ~$150
                              Eclipse TI Sub= ~$300

MAX Total = ~1550
                              how good are the jl slash amps?
                              New System in progress:
                              M10k
                              Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                              My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Working...