amp input wiring question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amp input wiring question

hello. i am wiring a kicker kx650.4 amp with two image dynamics IDQ10D4 V.2 subs.
    i have a question...im going to tap into the rear door speaker's wires, so do i need a line level converter? i talked to radioshack and they said i could just crimp on rca plugs onto the speaker wire. is this true?

thanks
    2004 C230K SS
    Custom Silver CF Enclosure with 2 Image Dynamics IDQ10D4 V.2 Subs and Kicker Kx650.4 Amp

yeah you sohuld now have a problem, take a Rear Right, a and Rear Left, split, , one eng goes to the speker, second ends are going to the amp

Yev
    R. T. F. M

Comment

Originally posted by Yevmeister
      yeah you sohuld now have a problem, take a Rear Right, a and Rear Left, split, , one eng goes to the speker, second ends are going to the amp

Yev
      thanks...so using rca plugs on speaker wire is no problem, right? so whya do they sell that line level converter for 20 bucks? hwat does that little box in it do?

also, can i just tap into the right speaker wire to get a signal for both subs?
      thanks
      2004 C230K SS
      Custom Silver CF Enclosure with 2 Image Dynamics IDQ10D4 V.2 Subs and Kicker Kx650.4 Amp

Comment

Originally posted by rlee02135
        thanks...so using rca plugs on speaker wire is no problem, right? so whya do they sell that line level converter for 20 bucks? hwat does that little box in it do?

also, can i just tap into the right speaker wire to get a signal for both subs?
        thanks
        sorry for the bad writing, im using my sisters laptop because my computer crashed and im not used to these tiny buttons.
        2004 C230K SS

Comment

I wouldn't just snip-snip up the RCA's and splice another wire into them; the wires inside the RCA cables are tiny and gay to work with. I've seen an RCA adaptor that you can then "convert" the RCA male end to your own speaker wire.
          2004 Ford Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by Epon
            I wouldn't just snip-snip up the RCA's and splice another wire into them; the wires inside the RCA cables are tiny and gay to work with. I've seen an RCA adaptor that you can then "convert" the RCA male end to your own speaker wire.
            im not just nsnipping up a rca cable. im taking these:http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search and putting speaker wire into them and plugging it into the amp's input. do you think it will work?
            thanks
            2004 C230K SS

Comment

You WILL need a line-level convertor. The signal going to your door speakers is "High-Level" or "Speaker-Level". Your amplifier needs a much "smaller" and lower power signal. It needs a "Low-Level" or "Line-Level" Signal.

A line-level convertor will take a speaker-level signal and give you a line-level signal that your amplifier can deal with.

Some amplifiers can take either speaker-level or line-level signals, but RCA jacks almost always carry signals that are line-level.

Peace.
              ** Denotes an "in car" post
              In-Car posts made from passenger seat - Be safe, Don't Post and Drive.

Comment

Okay, here's the deal...

From reading the thread it is my understanding that you want to know if you can take an active speaker wire, add the phono plug from radio shack to the end of it, and plug it into your amplifier. I'm pretty sure that this WILL NOT work. Why? Because there is power running through that speaker wire, and RCA cable is not made to have significant amounts of power in them.

Why do they sell line level converters, or AKA line output converts? Because "what that little box does" is it takes the watts out of the signal coming through the speaker wire. If you put pure speaker wire into your RCA inputs like you are proposing, you are going to either A) Fry your amp; or B) Get a distorted sound, or at least not nearly as good a sound as you would if you did it properly.

If cost is a problem, I would recommend using the Tsunami line output converter, available at Circuit City. Here's the link:
                http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Tsuna...oductDetail.do

What you want to do with this is basically tap your speaker wire that is going into your rear door speakers, or better yet, if you have 6X9's mounted above the rear seats, tap into those. Run your positive from the left speaker to the positive on the line output converter, and run your your negative from the right speaker to the negative on the line output converter (or vice versa if you want). Then, connect RCA's from the line output converter to the RCA inputs on your amp. Be sure that after you verify your connections, you properly tune the gain on the amplifier as well as the line output converter, if they are improperly tuned you will get distortion.

I utilize a similar setup in my car and it works great for me....

Good luck.

Comment

Sorry walky_talky20, musta been posting same time as you, but we said the same thing anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by walky_talky20
                    You WILL need a line-level convertor. The signal going to your door speakers is "High-Level" or "Speaker-Level". Your amplifier needs a much "smaller" and lower power signal. It needs a "Low-Level" or "Line-Level" Signal.

A line-level convertor will take a speaker-level signal and give you a line-level signal that your amplifier can deal with.

Some amplifiers can take either speaker-level or line-level signals, but RCA jacks almost always carry signals that are line-level.

Peace.

thank you...i was amazed at the bad advice that was given before this post.
                    New System in progress:
                    M10k
                    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
                    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
                    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
                    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
                    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Because "what that little box does" is it takes the watts out of the signal coming through the speaker wire.
                      New Ronco Watt Remover! I think you mean it attenuates the voltage of the signal.

Comment

Working...
                      X