HD Radio Question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD Radio Question...

Hi, just a newb here... but, is there a way to have HD radio that's hooked up to the carputer instead of having a HU interface? I was looking at the kenwood adapter that was 200 bucks but it only has the HU connector. Is there any hacks or something to adjust it for windows?

I was thinking about having radio for my carputer but, instead of having something like a radioshark or HQCT.

Any input on this would be awesome!

I'll bump this up for you cause I'm wondering the same thing. I have the Radioshark already, but I'd really like to have HD. If I find anything out, I'll post it up.

Anyone else have any ideas?

-Ben

Comment

Not possible, and as far as anyone knows, nobody's planning on developing this either. Right now the only choices for HD radio are home units, or units that connect directly to aftermarket radios.

IMHO, HD Radio is one of the biggest wastes of money in all time, but that's just my opinion.

Comment

I'm wondering the same thing
        Me too.
        http://gickr.com/results4/anim_5055e...a2b3b197c9.gif
        1990 RHD JDM 300ZX TT 2+2 5sp T-Top
        491RWHP / 18psi / 94 octane

Comment

Originally posted by Jahntassa
          Not possible, and as far as anyone knows, nobody's planning on developing this either. Right now the only choices for HD radio are home units, or units that connect directly to aftermarket radios.

IMHO, HD Radio is one of the biggest wastes of money in all time, but that's just my opinion.
          It free over the air radio, can it be that bad? XM and Sirus sounds like highly compressed mp3's and there is a monthly fee.
          Opus case. MB 899 core duo 2.0ghz
          Dual vga out, 400 gb hard drive, Centrefuse front end
          zapco 1000.4 for zapco 6.5 componets
          zapco 1100.1 for 2 13" W6.

Comment

BUMP!!!!

Well ive been trying to keep up with this.. So far ADA has compe out with a USB interface for their duo tune hardware.. the cool thing is that is does Sirius XM HD Radio all in one! however it also costs $2199 for the base model..

So we know the technology is there now we just need to wait for it to become less expensive..

I think the only way we can make this now would be to find the Alpine or Kenwood or Pioneer HD unit and make a usb bus converter for one of them..
            -Jack
            2006 Chrysler 300C AWD
            Samsung Galaxy Tab In dash

Comment

Originally posted by inniss777 View Post
              It free over the air radio, can it be that bad? XM and Sirus sounds like highly compressed mp3's and there is a monthly fee.
              If the HD radio sub-stations they have is anywhere near as ad-laden or repetative as their SD radio stations, then yes. I'm willing to pay $13 a month for new music, a wide playlist, and the ease of taking my XM unit anywhere I want and always know i'll be able to hear the music I want to hear.

As said, it's my opinion. Just because I think it's not worth the money doesn't mean that you don't love it. There's nothing wrong with that. I've got my tastes, and you've got yours! Please don't think i'm saying you're stupid just because I think the terrestrial radio industry is trying to save themselves with HD radio! (And not doing a good job of it)

Comment

Personally, I feel like SAT radio is a waste of money.

It's horrible SQ, worse than FM even.

To pay for that kind of quality is mind boggling to me. We had XM for 4+ years, dropped it and never looked back. I think all radio is struggling right now. The free stations play nothing but top 40 it seems, and the sat radio companies are sacrificing sound quality for the sake of more stations.

It's a lose lose situation IMO.
                Jan Bennett
                FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I don't know why everyone whines about the SQ of XM. It really isn't that bad. Worse than FM? Sure. FM isn't compressed, except for compression / limiting. It's got more frequency response as far as audio goes, so of course it'll have a better sound quality.

But so what? There are no radio stations in Atlanta I want to bother listening to. And those I do, have static and dropouts depending on where i'm driving. It's a pain. HD Radio in my case would do nothing, because it'd drop out even SOONER than the FM signal.

I have a lot of MP3's. Sure, I can listen to those all the time, but that's all music i've already heard. If I want to hear something new, i'd have to buy a CD or use iTunes. And then, what if I don't like it afterall? I'm out $0.99 or anywhere up to $17.

I pay $13 a month for Satellite radio because it's got good programming on it. I can change channels whenever I feel the mood change and listen to practically any type of music I want at any time.

However, i've made my point, and i'm not going to argue it, because everyone obviously has their own opinion, and as i've said myself, what I like isn't neccesarily what you like!

Comment

See, we agree, to each their own....
                    Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Yep! As for me, I don't think I'll be getting HD or SAT.. actually no radio for me. I've been thinking about it for a while now and I think I could do without it. I mean, it's been the same thing everyday for me since I only listen to a couple of stations and if there is some new music I wanna listen to, I just look it up online. Even just going on mtv to look at stuff you get a basic idea of what's good or what's not.

I feel like mtv is kinda like kiis fm too. very pop and not a lot of other stuff.

well, rock on! (to whatever you guys feel like.)

Comment

I've been without a radio in the car for 2+ years. Never looked back...
                        Jan Bennett

Comment

There are manufacturers out there that offer 'turn-key' HD tuner solutions. They are basically a TI DRI200 (HD Radio) chip, and tuner on a board. Unfortunately, an adapter to the computer would be required, as they are usually controlled via an I2C interface. Also, these companies usually only sell in large lots, so someone would have to develop a market to sell the units, to make it worth it. The easier option, would be to make a serial or USB adapter to an add-on unit, like the Kenwood one. I have seen threads on here where people are reverse engineering the Kenwood changer control signals, so they can control an mp3 player or some such device with their kenwood head unit, but I imagine the opposite would be possible as well.

OT: I know I'm new to the forum, but I have noticed this happen a LOT so far. Someone asks if something is possible, and instead of yes or no answers, or pointers to more information, the threads are chock full of 'Why would you want that' or 'I don't need that, so why would you?' responses. Obviously the OP was interested in whether this was a possibility, not whether you listened to your radio for the last 2 years.
                          2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer - Bi-Fuel Gasoline/CNG
                          Intel D945GCLF2 w/512MB RAM, CL Audigy w/KxProject, M2-ATX, Lilliput EBY701

Comment

Originally posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
                            OT: I know I'm new to the forum, but I have noticed this happen a LOT so far. Someone asks if something is possible, and instead of yes or no answers, or pointers to more information, the threads are chock full of 'Why would you want that' or 'I don't need that, so why would you?' responses. Obviously the OP was interested in whether this was a possibility, not whether you listened to your radio for the last 2 years.
                            It's a forum. Forums are used to facilitate discussion. This is a discussion.
                            Jan Bennett

Comment

XM quality is garbage. I hear Sirius is even less at 32kbps. On a stock stereo you wouldnt probably notice. If you have a SQ system, there is undoubtedly a huge difference.

I have XM, but i rarely listen to the music stations...mostly just talk which is fine at 64kbps.
                              G945GLCF2 | 512MB RAM | 160GB HD | Holux GPS w/ Routis | XMPCR w/ TOSLINK mod | Audigy 2 NX | | Xenarc 700TSV |Opus 150W PSU.

Comment

Working...
                              X