Centre Channel - Location Selection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centre Channel - Location Selection

I'm trying to make this as unobtrusive as possible and still get optimum centre channel staging. I'm considering 2 centre channel speakers on either side of the centre consol. Her's a what my centre consol looks like (pic is not mine specifically). I'm thinking that a 4" on either side should work well???
    http://gickr.com/results4/anim_5055e...a2b3b197c9.gif
    1990 RHD JDM 300ZX TT 2+2 5sp T-Top
    491RWHP / 18psi / 94 octane

What goes in that hole above the screen?

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow
      What goes in that hole above the screen?
      HVAC

Comment

without seeing a pic of the dash of your car it's next to impossible to give any suggestions.
        Jan Bennett
        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Is the HVAC all electric or are there vacuum lines or cables? If it's all electric relocate it and get a wide dispersion horn for your center channel to put there

You spelled center incorrectly

Comment

Well he's canadian "eh" give him a break... Well then on second thought, go ahead...
            "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
            "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
            [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

Is the HVAC all electric or are there vacuum lines or cables? If it's all electric relocate it and get a wide dispersion horn for your center channel to put there
              You spelled center incorrectly
              HVAC is cable actuated and unfortunately can't be moved. Wide dispersion horn??? - I didn't think the freq range for one would go low enough to cover cent(er) channel freq range effectively.

Comment

Most center channel stuff is human speech which is upper midbass and above. Horns have REALLY good response ranges but they're pretty freakin expensive.

I was just messing with you about the spelling. Us yanks spell a lot of stuff differently.

Comment

Originally posted by pancit175
                  Well he's canadian "eh" give him a break... Well then on second thought, go ahead...

grrr, centre, harbour..

doesnt matter, means same thing, haha

why do canadians/americans spell them differently anyway, never really understood that

Comment

Originally posted by jschrauwen
                    HVAC is cable actuated and unfortunately can't be moved. Wide dispersion horn??? - I didn't think the freq range for one would go low enough to cover cent(er) channel freq range effectively.
                    Its going to be tough to get that out of 4"s in a free air environment. I wouldnt worry so much about frequency range on the center channel unless you are timber matching. A single decent quality 4" should do ok.

I'm using the center of my dash, pointing up, for my 6.5" center channel. It requires cutting out the center of the HVAC duct but that can be easily fixed with duct tape.

You could always grab a center channel speaker from home audio (a little enclosed number) and work it into the space between the windshield and dash. Keep it as far as you can forward. Play a bit with making a custom grill and some decent adhesive and you are good to go for a temporary solution. (Temporary until you switch your vehicle).

Most home speakers are 8 ohms so plan on double the power for your center channel when appropriate. you get the idea...
                    Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

Originally posted by FC3S
                      grrr, centre, harbour..
                      doesnt matter, means same thing, haha
                      why do canadians/americans spell them differently anyway, never really understood that
                      center/centre, check/cheque .... psssst ..... French history may have something to do with it??

Most center channel stuff is human speech which is upper midbass and above. Horns have REALLY good response ranges but they're pretty freakin expensive.
                      $$$$, hmmmm. I think I may have to continue to look at some small 4" full range speakers. I've only got about 1 .75" of depth to play with so I think my options are limited. I haven't started to look for specific speaker brands since it's been a while since I've had to do car speaker shopping (11 years - don't laugh either - previous install by me was so good, it's never hiccupped or failed in all of those years). I'm not to aware of current market quality speakers in this size area and will start with some familiar old names like Boston Acoustics, MB Quart, KEF, Audax and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                        without seeing a pic of the dash of your car it's next to impossible to give any suggestions.
                        I hope these will help Jan. I'd use the grills that would come with the speakers of course. Something in the range of a 4" +/- speaker with a max depth of 1.75".

Comment

Install it in one of your upper vents. Do it behind the grill. Block it off and feed air to the other side.
                          Take my advice: Do not try to build a system that includes EVERY feature. Start with the basics, build it to a bug free state, and THEN add on.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Albers
                            Install it in one of your upper vents. Do it behind the grill. Block it off and feed air to the other side.
                            I imagine that's an option too. I'd prefer not to though since it took me some time to source the 4 dash vents from an E-Spec 323F from Holland.

Comment

I'd use the grills that would come with the speakers
                              Do it behind the grill
                              My speakers just came with packing foam, some crappy speaker wire, mounting hardware and grilles. No grill.

Comment

Working...
                              X