sq vs spl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sq vs spl

Now ive been reading different forums for the past few days, and I don't get why 95% of the forums have members saying spl is better then sq. Maybe its me , but I dont get why. SPL is basically how many subs can you pack into your car, with little to no regard for how it actually SOUNDS. Sure there is a place for it and I have great respect for the people that have the time/money/endorsements to create show vehicles for SPL. Now dont get me wrong I love bass and deep thumps, and SPL helps out SQ by pushing manufacturers to create stuff that can work at SPL levels and in turn (generally) means that at lower volumes (SQ levels that is) they put out louder clean sound.

My problem with all these SPL forums is that alot of people getting into car audio (like me), that dont do alot of research and just go blow $3k on stuff to get higher DB's on their daily drivers. Granted this is their own d*** fault for being ignorant, but why would you even WANT a SPL based system in a daily driver? There are many cons to a SPL based system on daily drivers, like police attention as an easy one.....

So can anybody explain to me the reasoning behind all these SPL daily drivers? I would rather have a system that puts out 110-120 DB max, but has GREAT quality and depth to the music, then something that can throw out 140 DB and you cant hear the music at all. Either way your hearing is screwed but at least at 110 DB you get 30 min a day (according to OSHA)
    (link http://www.lowertheboom.org/trice/safedblevels.htm)

Sry bout the rant type thread, but its just bothersome reading different forums and seeing "hey can i hit 145 db with this audiobahn system?" type threads.... maybe its just me

SPL competition is usually a lot easier to get into and once you start moving up the ranks it's easier to see dramatic increases in scores.

Also, most people are dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow
      Also, most people are dumb.
      ROFL i was laughing for 5 min straight when i read that

Comment

I think its a showoff thing... Its much easier to "impress" people with deafening bass then with SQ. I mean, how many times have you turned your head to see what car was making that thumping noise (probably with a badly rattling trunk ).

Personally I'm with you and have a SQ setup but I can't count the number of times I've played my system for someone and they said "turn it up man, I though you had a system in there". My response of "I do, check out the sound stage and dynamic range" gets a response Then I have to crank up the non-fader to make them happy

Comment

and then it gets all distorted and its not a clear, full, fluid sounding system, its a BOOM BOOM BOOM BURRRRRRRPPPPPP BOOM BURPPPPPP BOOM b/c the system is designed for a loud QUALITY system lol

as i said there I am glad there are SPL competitions, but SQ is a MUCH better choice for daily drivers (for a few reasons, clearity being one, and not drawing as much attention as another. btw thats usually a good thing b/c police dont bother you as much then usually )

blkwrx do you know about how many DB's your system can hit (while maintaining SQ)? 90? 100? 110? even at 90 db's thats a loud *** system and the best part is YOU CAN HEAR THE ACTUAL RECORDING OF THE MUSIC HOW THE ARTIST WANTED IT TO BE HEARD!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol oh well

LONG LIVE SQ!!!! lol

Comment

I just don't bother with those spl-freaks anymore. everyday I hear some dumbass with his pimped up (they think) car passing my door. And indeed, I take a look, and then I have a good laugh
            Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

CarPC: none at the moment
            CLARION HX-D2
            CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
            CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
            CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

Comment

SPL has it's time and place.

If it weren't for SPL, I never would have gotten into SQ.

I can't stand it when I hear people talk blantant **** about one or the other.

SPL is fun, there's nothing wrong with that.

I had 4 12s in my GTi and I had a crap load of fun with it. I'd roll up next to some 2 bit wanna be gangsta with their system a blarin, I'd bump mine, they would shrivel up and turn the other way.

It was fun.

Did I listen to it like that all the time? No, absolutely not. Was it fun, **** yes it was. I still miss it actually.

I'd come home from a weekend long show, and pull out 4' tall tropheys from my car. Guys would be rolling by in the apartment parking lot, and would stop and ask me if it was for a dance contest, or gymnastics. I'd tell then no, actually for SPL. They would **** themselves when it became apparent that A) my system was louder than they ever thought theirs would be B) I knew more about what I was talking about than they did.

Because of my great experiences in SPL, I made the choice to try SQ.

From the SPL side of the fence, SQ is nothing but a bunch of stuck up pricks. There's no real competition, it's nothing but a bunch of politics and brown nosing. In spl, you show up, you burp your system, you're done. You can't argue too much with a mic.

SQ has it's time and place as well. Both sides take a lot of hard work and dedication to be at all compeditive.

I'd encourage you to see what SPL is actually about rather than trying to place yourself on a higher pedestal than those who enjoy it.

Like it or not, SPL drives the sport and it drives the innovation. You really can't have one without the other.
              Jan Bennett
              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by BDVirus
                blkwrx do you know about how many DB's your system can hit (while maintaining SQ)? 90? 100? 110? even at 90 db's thats a loud *** system and the best part is YOU CAN HEAR THE ACTUAL RECORDING OF THE MUSIC HOW THE ARTIST WANTED IT TO BE HEARD!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol oh well

LONG LIVE SQ!!!! lol
                if your SQ system can't even hit a 130, you've got some issues.
                Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

90 db isn't loud at all

SQ has a TON of politics in it but it's still fun. I rolled up at a show in my Sentra with stock speakers, rear unplugged, an aftermarket deck and a small sub and amp and took home first in my class. The judge was really impressed with my car and said it's one of the top 20 cars in my class in the US. How hilarious is that?

Comment

and what class would that be?
                    Jan Bennett

Comment

Meca As-1

Comment

Originally posted by BDVirus View Post

LONG LIVE SQ!!!! lol
                        I haven't tested the spl of my new system. My last sub setup was 2 Audiobahn 10" subs and a Power Acoustic amp. It hit 127db. I was using a Focal front stage with a PG amp (still am). My new sub setup is 2 Eclipse 10" subs running off a PG titanium amp. I'm guessing it could hit 135-140db but I haven't tested it. It is much louder than the old setup but I keep the subs balanced with the front stage so unless I mess with the non-fader and/or the amps gain I doubt it would go much above 120db.

I can crank my Eclipse deck up to full volume without distortion but it sounds best at 3/4 volume.

Comment

just to clairify red i dont hate SPL and love SQ, both have their issues. I personally just prefer the quality of sound as oppossed to how loud. SQ is alot of personal opinion on it, not so much real metrics. Sure they can see how flat your responses are, but even so its still alot of personal opinion on it (tweeters are softer more "warm, vs the more "shrill" type for example).

there is a time and place for SPL, however i dont think that its on the streets. I do however think that SQ is POSSIBLE to be on the street (now i dont suggest or recommend it, nor do i like ppl that do it mainly b/c i dont like their music which is why at stop lights i turn it down. Highways and while moving on main roads ill turn it up however).

Next subject as far as DB's i should have clairified (my fault i was thinking 2 diff things at the same time lol). What does your system hit in competitions? the DB's i said earlier was me referring to driving around or listening at friends houses and such. Basically the 90 db was actual volume that you can listen to for the drive to/from work daily w/o major ear damage (granted 90 db will hurt your ears over the long term, but as long as you keep it under 100 db for an hr a day at least OSHA says its ok )

I dont hate SPL, there definately IS a time and place for it. Its just annoying seeing 95% of forums talking about how many DB's they can hit, not the quality of it. I dont see the point of having 160 db system, that you cant make out the words (even if it is 100 ft away, since inside the car that would basically cause immediate ear damage), just me though. Both have times and places, I just think SQ is overlooked. Either way it does require time/money/and KNOW HOW in both.

Comment

you're new to the sport...get into it a bit and you'll understand that everything you're talking about has already been beat into the ground so many times sickening to hear it again and again and again...much like newbies posting on here...
                            Jan Bennett

Comment

Oh, get ready to sink all of your money into this My first SPL setup was over $6000. Two extra batteries, HO alternator, 30' 1/0, MANY high dollar 1/0 connectors, two Concept 2400W amps (benched 2470WRMS), Stinger Hyper RCAs, two Concept PT12s, and a Planet Audio 4-channel biamped on some Planet Audio components.

Comment

Working...
                              X