help with trunk layout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with trunk layout

Guys I need some input here. I can't lose too much trunk space, but I need to add some bass to my system to take the stress off my 6.5's.

Here's what I'm thinking might work. I build a new floor 4" higher. That would give me about 4.4 cubic ft total between the floors. I factored the old wheel well into that, it is about 0.8 cu ft. My tire takes up 0.63 cu ft.

So beneath/in the floor i need to fit 2 amps, the pc which is the size of a medium sized amp, spare tire, and 1 sub (12"?). The amps would be flush with the top floor to get some airflow. Here's a pic of what I'm thinking. It's fairly close to scale, the front circle would be the sub, rear the tire. I'd be happy to hear other ideas too.

{Xenarc 700TSV} {Celeron M 1.3 ghz} {ASUS mATX mobo w/CT479} {MX440 128mb AGP} {1x512mb RAM} {3.5" Seagate 40gb (rated at 350 G's)} {M1-ATX}

MY INSTALLATION LOG

I have an 05 SXT and what im thinking is (this what im going to setup with one sub as of now, until i find something better ) similar to what your pic is with the subs behind the wheel wells in custom fiberglass enclosure. The right side would have my sub, the left one be my car pc (but they would take up the same space and would look the same on the outside). The amps for my front/rear speakers would be mounted on their side on the wheel well (velcro or some other tie down method to keep em there). Then the rear of the trunk wall would have my alpine pxa-h701 and sub amp (I checked and the trunk when closed is flush with the interior wall, it dosnt hang over at all). I would most likely end up putting custom enclosures around everything so you dont see it (except for its not the same as stock Neon's trunk).

I like your idea also, i have a few questions though. Now the current space the spares in, are you gonna use that? and if not are you leaving the cover on, and putting stuff on top of that? The reason i ask is, unless your gonna cut out the metal so its all even with the current floor (so that you still have the same amount of cu ft as stock trunk).

Comment

Originally posted by BDVirus View Post

I like your idea also, i have a few questions though. Now the current space the spares in, are you gonna use that?
      Not sure yet. I might need it for the sub, I'll have to make more calculations and pick out a sub before I know for sure. I'm also thinking of something along these lines:
      http://mp3car.com/vbulletin/showpost...2&postcount=21

Can you post a photochop of your idea?
      {Xenarc 700TSV} {Celeron M 1.3 ghz} {ASUS mATX mobo w/CT479} {MX440 128mb AGP} {1x512mb RAM} {3.5" Seagate 40gb (rated at 350 G's)} {M1-ATX}

MY INSTALLATION LOG

Comment

Ok heres what im thinking. A1= Amps for front and rear speakers. A2= Amp for sub. C=Computer. D=Alpine DSP. S=Sub.

its too bad we cant put stuff on top of the wheel well lol, friggin trunk hinges slide in there. Now i would create enclosures so it dosnt look out of place for the amps and DSP. it would be attached to the metal under the carpet (the wheel well amps that is).

ps this was done in paint and was a 5 min jobbie hopefully you now have an idea what im thinking though
        Attached Files

Comment

This is what I did because I wanted to keep some trunk space. I also still have access to the spare tire.

Comment

Originally posted by blkwrx View Post
            This is what I did because I wanted to keep some trunk space. I also still have access to the spare tire.
            Nice install. I wish I could get away with something similar, but my job requires that I keep the fold down seats functional. (often have to make a run to the hardware store for building supplies)

BDVirus, your solution seems workable, and easiest for me, since I'd just leave the amps and pc in the box I have in there now, and put the sub in one corner. The problem is I'm not sure I want the sub to be off-center. I've heard so many different arguments for and against I think I'm best off just having it centered.

MY INSTALLATION LOG

Comment

Originally posted by damarble View Post
              Nice install. I wish I could get away with something similar, but my job requires that I keep the fold down seats functional. (often have to make a run to the hardware store for building supplies)
              Oh, I don't have fold down seats so that wasn't an issue for me. In that case I like the false floor idea. You can also make it so the equiptment is protected for those hardware store runs.

Originally posted by damarble View Post
              BDVirus, your solution seems workable, and easiest for me, since I'd just leave the amps and pc in the box I have in there now, and put the sub in one corner. The problem is I'm not sure I want the sub to be off-center. I've heard so many different arguments for and against I think I'm best off just having it centered.
              I don't think you will notice much of a difference. Actually the corner facing accross is probably better then the floor facing up... I was just reading a thread on speaker placement. I can't remember if it was this forum or not.

Comment

Your ear can't effectively discern where low frequencies are coming from. The difference is minimal at best.

Comment

One thing that I imeediately see is the space on either side that's free. With some time and some fiberglass you could build a sub enclosure on either side keeping it out of the way. Then for the amps, you could mount them to the back of the seat, super easy. Or if you wanted to go more integrated, build them into the drivers side along with the sub enclosure as well. Would keep them up off the floor and off to the side out of the way.

for the pc, you could fabricate something to go on the other side in the space.
                  Jan Bennett
                  FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
                    Your ear can't effectively discern where low frequencies are coming from. The difference is minimal at best.
                    That all depends on what frequency his subs are crossed over at. If he has them fairly high (80Hz or so) to make up for missing midbass fill in the front, they can definitely be localized.
                    "It's a blessing . . . and a curse."

Comment

I think you're missing the point of Shadows post Siezmik....lower frequencies can't be localized. Doesn't matter where the speaker is crossed over at.

SPEAKERS can be localized based on where they are crossed over at though.

Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

regarding speaker placement:

it's a sub, if it's in one corner or the other, it doesn't matter, it's still in the back, behind you. if it's able to be localized, THAT'S what will be localized, not necessarially what side the sub is on.

The actual direction that the sub is facing is another story. That will have some effects on loading and SPL, as well as wave length and where that wave hits the listeners ears. That's something though that is a mute point since you are so limited in placement, as you've limited yourself with it.
                        Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Red GTi VR6 View Post
                          I think you're missing the point of Shadows post Siezmik....lower frequencies can't be localized. Doesn't matter where the speaker is crossed over at.

SPEAKERS can be localized based on where they are crossed over at though.

True enough. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of being able to tell where the speaker was that was producing said low frequencies.

Comment

I don't know what kind of amp you're running to drive your sub, but if it's capable of driving two subs you could try a setup similar to the one below.

Two subs with individual sealed enclosures, and a short box (for lack of a better word) to enclose your amps, PC, and other miscellaneous errata (i.e. distribution blocks, cap, etc). The box would be just tall enough to clear the components and allow for air circulation, and a lid of sorts would be cut into it for access to your tire below. You could place some clear plexi over the components to protect them, while still showing them off at the same time.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I kindof like where you're going with that Siezmik. But the one problem I see it there would be a huge wasted space over the tire. I figure the raised floor would have to be about 4" to fit everything.

How about this then? I leave the box behind the seat I have in there now. It's flush with the seats when they're folded down. It holds 1 amp, the pc, and all the misc. stuff. Then I have 1 sub in 1 corner, and it's amp molded in the other.

MY INSTALLATION LOG

Comment

Working...
                              X