Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought a new amp, distribution block and wiring. Now I have questions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a new amp, distribution block and wiring. Now I have questions.

I figured I'd save myself the headache and just post in the newbie section.
    I just got a wicked deal on an amp and wiring kit and distribution block.

The amp is a Rockford Fosgate Punch p325.1 monoblock amp with:
    397 watts RMS at 2 ohms
    245 watts RMS at 4 ohms

The distribution block is a 8 gauge in and dual 8 gauge out and accepts 2 5AG fuses.

The wiring kit has a 20 foot 8 gauge power wire and everything else needed.

And lastly, the amp I already have running the speakers is a 120 watt MTX 4244 Thunder 4 channel amp running 18 gauge speaker wire into the harness and then 22 gauge stock speaker wiring to the stock speakers. This is powered by an 8 gauge power wire with a 30 amp inline fuse.

So my questions are as follow:
    1. Is it okay to run all 8 gauge all around the distribution block, or is it too many amps for the wire?
    2. What's a 5AG fuse?
    3. How do I know how many ohms I'm running at?
    Ampie Case
    2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
    Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
    Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Answer to #1
    Answer to #2
    Answer to #3; More on #3

These are pretty basic questions, although in the Newbie sections,
    the answers are easily found with Google.
    For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
    Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
    Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

Comment

The first link doesn't really help, I've been working with this one of the past hour or so. http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm

So using the calculations on that page, I have:

Resistance:
      R = 1 / 1.26 ^ (difference between 8awg and 10awg)
      R = 1 / 1.26 ^ 2
      R = 1 / 1.586
      R = .629881582

Amps:
      I = E / R
      I = 12 / .629881582
      I = 19.051200008

Is this right? Hey, I'm using the resources you're giving me and trying. If someone explained the rest, it wouldn't be spoon feeding. My next question is, "Do I now get the amp rating for my speaker amp, add it to the 19 for my sub amp and use that to see if it'd draw too much power on the single 8 gauge going from the distribution block to the battery?"
      Ampie Case
      256 MB DDR2 PC5400
      M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by DJiK View Post
        Answer to #1
        Answer to #2
        Answer to #3; More on #3

These are pretty basic questions, although in the Newbie sections,
        the answers are easily found with Google.
        It's Maheriano, what do you expect?

To prove my point, note that there is a calculator right in the middle of the page called "Determine Maximum Amplifier Power for a Given Wire Size", and all he has to input is like 2 things, and get an answer. (here is a direct link to it http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/wir...calculator.swf)

Mehariano is the laziest guy on this board right now. Never listens, never searches, never reads, and never understands, he just wants people to do it for him.

Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiredwrx View Post

...snip...

Mehariano is the laziest guy on this board right now. Never listens, never searches, never reads, and never understands, he just wants people to do it for him.

Michael

Be nice...

This is better than the last times. At least he is trying to search.
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

To prove my point, note that there is a calculator right in the middle of the page called "Determine Maximum Amplifier Power for a Given Wire Size", and all he has to input is like 2 things, and get an answer. (here is a direct link to it http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/wir...calculator.swf)

Michael
            Don't be such an ***. If you'd understand why I was doing the calculations, it would make the difference.
            So the output I got for my amp is 358 watts max which is right around where my amp is. Now, do I have to add my other amp to this which would put it over the top, or is that it?
            This board operates like no other and I think it's highly due to 1% of the users like yourself. I've been searching all night, for hours. I have this questions posted on www.dc5ab.com and also www.beyond.ca and I'm getting completely different reactions. You may say it's because this question has been asked 100 times before, but it hasn't. Yes, the general question has, but this particular question I'm asking now is very very specific except for the ohms question.
            Ampie Case
            256 MB DDR2 PC5400
            M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Correction, the efficency on the sub amplifier is 66.13% making the max wattage for the wire over 400. Safer, but the question still stands.
              Ampie Case
              256 MB DDR2 PC5400
              M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by Maheriano View Post
                Don't be such an ***. If you'd understand why I was doing the calculations, it would make the difference.
                So the output I got for my amp is 358 watts max which is right around where my amp is. Now, do I have to add my other amp to this which would put it over the top, or is that it?
                This board operates like no other and I think it's highly due to 1% of the users like yourself. I've been searching all night, for hours. I have this questions posted on www.dc5ab.com and also www.beyond.ca and I'm getting completely different reactions. You may say it's because this question has been asked 100 times before, but it hasn't. Yes, the general question has, but this particular question I'm asking now is very very specific except for the ohms question.
                Notice how you ******* posted questions in other forums, instead of looking for the answer. You are just a lazy ***, plain and simple. In addition, you lack any amount of common sense.

No idiot, why would you add the amps together, because they are on the same wire. Now, that doesn't sound right, does it. See schmuck, you lack common sense. If you want to run things off the same wire, then you add them the hell together. Why in the hell would you not.

Just because your SPECIFIC situation with your amps, with it's special numbers and ratings, doesn't make your question unique or different then the basic question of, CAN I RUN THESE OFF THIS WIRE. You take the damn numbers, and put them in the formula, and you get the answer. The reason why you get such a reaction is becuase you are a damn idiot. Look at your past posts, they are moronic, and you refuse to listen to the people that give you the damn answer. No wonder you are confused, you probably have a couple of answers in all these places, but you just refuse to listen to them.

You really should just stop posting.

Michael
                ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

This board operates like no other and I think it's highly due to 1% of the users like yourself.
                  Thanks, I will take that as the complement I am sure you meant it as.

Michael

Comment

I found the answer, idiot, I was looking for confirmation. I retract my statement that it's this forum, it's not. Even Darquepervert is criticizingly helpful, but the problem is you. You're talking to a software engineer with a computer science degree from the top university in the country, I'm not a moron. I do, however, have trouble understanding why I can touch the positive terminal of a battery while touching the ground, I'm an electrical idiot. I know nothing about wires so even the simplest of searches is not just a search for an answer, it's a 2 hour trek of trying to understand how the basics of electronics work and then trying to pull my answer from the mix.
                    Looking at the fact that I didn't know what DC-DC meant, and now I have a working PC in my car, that's pretty good. I give 70% of the credit to this forum and the people on it. But I also do some tech support at my work and 95% of the stuff I'm asked about the hardware is right in the detailed user manual that came with it, but what do I do? I help them figure it out and tell them where to find subsequent information to stop them from asking me in the future. Statistically, if you have a lot of newbies asking the same beginner questions here, that means you have a high input to this forum, there must be huge numbers of people signing up every day. Hell, I just spent 20 minutes answering questions via PM to another guy on another forum to steer him away from inverters, and at the end I gave him a link to this site so he can take the knowledge I gave him (no jokes) and continue his searching here. But mp3car is the only place I've ever heard reference of on another forum and had people say to watch what you say because of the reply you'll get here. You should realize yourself that is rediculous and I'd say Ziplock is unappreciate of it since it's driving away business.
                    It sounds like your pefect poster is supposed to read the FAQ for a few days, keep reading the forums for another few months, start putting together hardware, and consult Google when he runs into trouble. But whatever he does, he should leave you alone apparently. You need to realize people are going to keep asking the same question, that is going to happen and there's nothing you can do to stop it. It's a simple fact. So instead of ignoring it, or helping the mounds of people find the answer, you criticize.
                    Ampie Case
                    256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                    M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

I found the answer, idiot, I was looking for confirmation. I retract my statement that it's this forum, it's not. Even Darquepervert is criticizingly helpful, but the problem is you. You're talking to a software engineer with a computer science degree from the top university in the country, I'm not a moron. I do, however, have trouble understanding why I can touch the positive terminal of a battery while touching the ground, I'm an electrical idiot. I know nothing about wires so even the simplest of searches is not just a search for an answer, it's a 2 hour trek of trying to understand how the basics of electronics work and then trying to pull my answer from the mix.
                      Looking at the fact that I didn't know what DC-DC meant, and now I have a working PC in my car, that's pretty good. I give 70% of the credit to this forum and the people on it. But I also do some tech support at my work and 95% of the stuff I'm asked about the hardware is right in the detailed user manual that came with it, but what do I do? I help them figure it out and tell them where to find subsequent information to stop them from asking me in the future. Statistically, if you have a lot of newbies asking the same beginner questions here, that means you have a high input to this forum, there must be huge numbers of people signing up every day. Hell, I just spent 20 minutes answering questions via PM to another guy on another forum to steer him away from inverters, and at the end I gave him a link to this site so he can take the knowledge I gave him (no jokes) and continue his searching here. But mp3car is the only place I've ever heard reference of on another forum and had people say to watch what you say because of the reply you'll get here. You should realize yourself that is rediculous and I'd say Ziplock is unappreciate of it since it's driving away business.
                      It sounds like your pefect poster is supposed to read the FAQ for a few days, keep reading the forums for another few months, start putting together hardware, and consult Google when he runs into trouble. But whatever he does, he should leave you alone apparently. You need to realize people are going to keep asking the same question, that is going to happen and there's nothing you can do to stop it. It's a simple fact. So instead of ignoring it, or helping the mounds of people find the answer, you criticize.
                      You are looking for confirmation. So, do you expect the people that you provide tech support to call you up to confirm everything that they read. So, when I click delete, does it actually delete the file. When I click open, do I really open a new file. Sorry for asking, I just need confirmation?? While DP is wonderfully scarcastic, I am not. I am blunt and to the point. I could care less what school you went to, or what degrees you have. This forum is a carputer forum, and that is what were are talking about, and in this area you are most definitely an idiot.

Your "process" for a perfect poster is absolutely correct. As explained to you MANY times before, you don't just walk into a library and ask for the answer. READ THE DAMN BOOK. When you have to roll out a new program in your IT department, do you just contact the vendor for every question, or have you read the manual already, and most likely, referred to it once again before you actually contact the vendor?? I thought so, you do your research first. I also assure you that if the same person continued to call you, about the most basic of information like, " how do I turn on the computer, how do I use the keyboard, what is a mouse" you would also get annoyed, and might even tell him so, BUT, you get paid, and that is your job. It is no ones job here to help you. Your questions are just like that. And even more annoyinbgly with you, you refuse to listen to the answer, needing confirmation after confirmation. So, how often after you tell someone "do this, and do that" to fix their computer, do they come back at you with "I just need confirmation, do I really need to "do this and do that"? See what I am getting at. You are a pain in the ***.

And while you might think ZIP is losing business, I can and will make the argument that I help him avoid dealing with stupid customers, who will end up calling him for tech support, and quite possibly breaking things and expecting warranty work.

While you might think I can't stop people from coming and posting, the truth is, perhaps those people take mine, and many other peoples on this forum advice, and before they ask a dumb beginner question.

You might think you are some inteligent person, and your questions must be sooo new and interesting, and unique but I got to tell you, THEY ARE NOT. They are stupid, and basic, and have been asked by dumb people on this forum over and over.

Michael

Comment

You're talking to a software engineer with a computer science degree from the top university in the country, I'm not a moron.
                        Degrees don't mean everything apparently... Where did you go? Anyways, computer science, is software. Everbody has their niche. I am a moron when it comes to speaking yiddish, yet I consider myself very intelligent. (Even though I have a dancing badger avatar...) What I am saying is that your degree in software, does not neccessarily put you any farther ahead then Bob your local burger king employee when it comes to carPC's installation. In the setup aspect, that degree sure does help out, and give you a leg up over Bob though.

I do, however, have trouble understanding why I can touch the positive terminal of a battery while touching the ground, I'm an electrical idiot. I know nothing about wires so even the simplest of searches is not just a search for an answer, it's a 2 hour trek of trying to understand how the basics of electronics work and then trying to pull my answer from the mix.
                        Well I find that sort of unbelievable, because you still post ?'s like this. I am the way you state. I may get a "yes that will work" or "it just does" answer, but I want to know why. I research and use all my bits of knowledge and conclude an answer. I don't want that kind of answer, so I only ask when I am stumped. I cannot find anything on Google, or on these forums, so I ask. My questions take hours to formulate because I answer a bit, and open up another question. You seem not to, but I guess that is how you really operate...

Looking at the fact that I didn't know what DC-DC meant
                        Really??? And you have a degree? Now I think you're lying...

Hell, I just spent 20 minutes answering questions via PM to another guy on another forum to steer him away from inverters, and at the end I gave him a link to this site so he can take the knowledge I gave him (no jokes) and continue his searching here.
                        What goes "clip, clop, clip, clop, clip, clop, BANG, BANG, clip, clop, clip, clop"???

An Amish drive-by shooting!!!
                        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

No idiot,
                          careful. This is bordering on name calling...

Yes, while I agree that the OP has proven to be a bit of a headache, he is putting forth more effort this time around it seems.
                          Jan Bennett
                          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

gotta love people like this

gotta agree a little with maheriano tho, newbs who ask questions get flamed bad (done it myself, but i try not to)

but getting into the name calling, and "i've gone to this school so i know what im doing" doesnt help anyone does it? arguing on the internet is pointless, doesnt help anyone

though maheriano, good to see you got the answer you needed, tho it doesnt seem like anyone actually tried to help you :/

btw, so what if he asks stupid questions, the answers and replies you gave him, only justify that you think you need to be better than him, you could've just not answered at all :/

Comment

I'm "wonderfully sarcastic".
                              Thanks Michael.

Although, I gotta agree w/ Red. Let's please watch the name calling, everyone.

It's one thing to be frustrated and angry. I get that way with clients all the time when they don't listen or follow advice. It's a lot easier to accept that from a client who's paying $90/hr to ignore you, however.
                              However, when you're giving of your time, knowledge, experience and skills to help someone out and you get blown off, it's a whole other matter.

Either way, it's not right, and not acceptable on these forums. Consider this a blanket warning for all parties involved.

Originally posted by FC3S
                              btw, so what if he asks stupid questions, the answers and replies you gave him, only justify that you think you need to be better than him, you could've just not answered at all :/
                              Then the newbie whines that nobody wants to help him.
                              That route has been tried, as well.

The fact is, that there are too many n00bs that want the coolness of having a PC in their ride, but they don't want to learn anything about it and don't want to do any work to accomplish that goal. There's one solution to that that I can see:
                              Start charging to do installs for n00bs.
                              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
                              X