Jeep Cherokee - upgraded Infinity amp connector/harness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep Cherokee - upgraded Infinity amp connector/harness

Anyone know where I might be able to find a connector like "Connector 1" in the following picture (besides the junkyard - seems like every wreck I've looked at either didn't have this unit or it was yanked with the wiring):

http://www.wjjeeps.com/radio_ampdiag1a.jpg

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with that system. I am happy with how this factory audio system sounds and will only be replacing the headunit with a computer sound card.

From the amount of info I was able to gather here, the Infinity amp I have is expecting high level input. Therefore, I'm planning on getting a Phoenix Gold SLD44 (http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-SLD...QQcmdZViewItem) to drive the soundcard's low level to high for the factory amp.

This should get me the sound levels that I am used to with my current factory setup, right?
    2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4WD
    Lilliput 7"
    VIA EPIA M10000, 512M, 80G WD
    Soundblaster Live! 24-bit
    Phoenix Gold SLD44 Line Driver
    Griffin Radioshark (reboxed)

The Infinity Gold amp is expecting low level input. If you unplug the end of that cable from your radio, you can just tap into the wires for the inputs. If you get a 9V battery and one of those little things that snaps on the top to give you a pos and neg wire you can test it by sticking them into speaker pairs. If you hear a pop, you've got an output channel. If you don't hear anything, you've got an input channel. That make sense?

Comment

This is not the Grand Cherokee, so it is not the Gold system. I'm pretty sure that everywhere else I've read that the amp is expecting a high level input, as the head unit is amplified. Maybe I'm wrong. Is the "premium" Infinity system in my car the same as the Gold?

Also, I already have the wiring diagram (the image link that I posted), so I'm not sure how/why you are trying to help me out with your reply.
      Lilliput 7"

Comment

You've got a newer generation truck. The mid-late 90s has Infinity Gold Infinity/Phoenix Gold hybrid. It's all the same in the end.

If you don't want to cut into any harnesses, buy a wiring harness for your truck. It'll plug into the wires that eventually run to that amp that live behind the factory radio. From there you will have everything you need to trick that amp into turning on and also you'll have discrete 4-channel input. You'll just have to wire on RCA jacks to run signal from your computer soundcard.

Comment

Originally posted by akula169 View Post
          Anyone know where I might be able to find a connector like "Connector 1" in the following picture (besides the junkyard - seems like every wreck I've looked at either didn't have this unit or it was yanked with the wiring):

http://www.wjjeeps.com/radio_ampdiag1a.jpg

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with that system. I am happy with how this factory audio system sounds and will only be replacing the headunit with a computer sound card.

From the amount of info I was able to gather here, the Infinity amp I have is expecting high level input. Therefore, I'm planning on getting a Phoenix Gold SLD44 (http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-SLD...QQcmdZViewItem) to drive the soundcard's low level to high for the factory amp.

This should get me the sound levels that I am used to with my current factory setup, right?
          the WJ is the Grand Cherokee, the regular cherokee is the XJ, so you might want to double check that you actually do have that sound system installed

Comment

The amp will be under one of your rear seats if you've got one.

Comment

I understand the differences between the WJ and the XJ (and the CJ, and the ... Compass? - wait, I won't go there, we'll just act like that one doesn't exist) - been exclusively a Jeep owner/enthusiast for about 10 years now.

I do have a similar amp... at least the connectors are the same.

I'm going to run the SLD44 off the head unit connector, so I guess I don't need to worry about the connector I was asking about...
              Lilliput 7"

Comment

SLD44 works like a charm

By the way, just wanted to report that, yes, I did need this line driver.

And, yes, it works like a charm - bumped up, clean sound over my existing amplifier. Highly recommended if you want to stick with your factory amp in your Jeep.
                Lilliput 7"

Comment

Dont know the problem???

hello, can anyone help. i have a 98 jeep cherokee limited edition (not grand) and the stereo/cd/tape player work just fine. but only the back two speakers work. the two in the front doors and two on the dash dont work. i asked the dealership to tell me what was wrong and they said it would be $100 just to take a look, then fixing the problem would be a seperate charge. anyone know what the problem is? im assuming that it is the amp. but would the back speakers still work if that was the case? also, the back speakers have barely any bass. if i play a cd i have to turn the bass all the way down on the eq or it sounds horrible. any guidance or help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, tim

pps. if this helps at all. it is a 56007653ac - 36670 infinity amp.
                  (if it has anything at all to do with the amp)

Comment

Originally posted by maxcarpro View Post
                    hello, can anyone help. i have a 98 jeep cherokee limited edition (not grand) and the stereo/cd/tape player work just fine. but only the back two speakers work. the two in the front doors and two on the dash dont work. i asked the dealership to tell me what was wrong and they said it would be $100 just to take a look, then fixing the problem would be a seperate charge. anyone know what the problem is? im assuming that it is the amp. but would the back speakers still work if that was the case? also, the back speakers have barely any bass. if i play a cd i have to turn the bass all the way down on the eq or it sounds horrible. any guidance or help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, tim

pps. if this helps at all. it is a 56007653ac - 36670 infinity amp.
                    (if it has anything at all to do with the amp)
                    Proper netiquete requires you to NOT HIJACK someone elses thread with something unrelated (even though they are both about Jeep stereos, they post and your questions are no where near related)

Additionally, this forum is for carputers, and thier integration into car stereos, and NOT a car stereo forum. This question is therefore not really appropriate for this forum.

You will have a much better chance of finding helpful information in a Jeep specific forum.

Good luck.

Michael
                    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

sorry.

my mother never taught me netiquette. sorry. new to forums. -tim

Comment

Ah.

Google...

Blessing? Curse?

Side note: the rear speakers in the 97-01 models have no bass to speak of... might as well be tweeters. All the bass you're gonna get out of the factory is from the air space in the front doors.
                        Lilliput 7"

Comment

thanks for responding...

google the devil... no come on! a def. blessing! thanks for responding, even after my bad nettiquete. do you know if i can sub out the factory rear speakers for any type of newer higher quality ones that can be pushed by the infinity amp under the rear seat? the sound is god awful, needs some serious help, at the only price i can afford. cheap!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X