need help 2004 honda civic deck swap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help 2004 honda civic deck swap

yea i got a 2004 civic and cannot figure out how to get the old deck out... and the local car audio place wants to charge me 100 bucks to swap decks. any help?

As many will tell you this is a forum dedicated to carpcs you might want to try else where or search for more timely resources.
    "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
    "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
    [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

You could always get a master installation kit for your ride from http://www.crutchfield.com they're like $5.
      Tidder

Try RevFE
      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

From Honda-Tech:

"2004 requires removing the entire center console. It’s easiest to pry gently at the bottom left and right sides first - then the panel comes off fairly easily. That will expose screws to remove cig lighter panel. Removing that will expose 8mm bolts securing the radio/climate control bezel in place. Then you can pry from the front and push from the back to remove the entire assembly..."

Comment

this is not for the same year civic but you can have an aide how to take the radio out

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/466005.pdf

Comment

2001-2005 are all the same. Automatic or Manual transmission matter for the first bit. I have a manual '01 civic and this is how I did it:

The part above the cupholder that contains the pocket and the cig lighter, is the master key. It is held in only by plastic tabs. Use a butter knife and wedge it around until it pries off. Unplug the cig lighter and put that aside. Then if you look under there, there is a metal bar with 2 ratchet type screw in it. Those screws are STUCK on there! It took me like 2 hours to get them to start moving. There was a lock-tight kind of stuff on there. After you take those out, then the radio console comes out. Just use the butter knife again, and pry it out. Real easy once you get those screws out.
            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

i just hate the way honda design it. I almost rip the dashboard few months ago when i was trying to take out the factory radio for code reading.
              2006 Camry
              Compaq Laptop
              Holux GPS Iguidance 3.0
              7" Xenarc Touch Screen
              Carnetix 1900 Power Supplied, Wireless b/g

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                2001-2005 are all the same. Automatic or Manual transmission matter for the first bit. I have a manual '01 civic and this is how I did it:

The part above the cupholder that contains the pocket and the cig lighter, is the master key. It is held in only by plastic tabs. Use a butter knife and wedge it around until it pries off. Unplug the cig lighter and put that aside. Then if you look under there, there is a metal bar with 2 ratchet type screw in it. Those screws are STUCK on there! It took me like 2 hours to get them to start moving. There was a lock-tight kind of stuff on there. After you take those out, then the radio console comes out. Just use the butter knife again, and pry it out. Real easy once you get those screws out.
                YOU GOT THOSE TWO SCREWS OUT??!?!!! That cant be normal! You must be on steroids....
                Please! share the wisdom..... how did you manage to get those two screws out?? I've tried everything!

Comment

All you need is a 8mm socket on an extension for a 1/4" ratchet. I dont believe they put locktight on there. And remember "if she's tight then you're going right, but if she's loose its about time you left".

2k1...? a butter knife, lol, are you 4real?
                  "In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few."- Shunryu Suzuki
                  "Do it right or don't do it at all"

PROGRESS:
                  [-------90%-] (New Car=New Build)

Comment

Of course he's for real... he's the man.
                    Tidder

Try RevFE
                    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Originally posted by pancit175 View Post
                      All you need is a 8mm socket on an extension for a 1/4" ratchet. I dont believe they put locktight on there. And remember "if she's tight then you're going right, but if she's loose its about time you left".

2k1...? a butter knife, lol, are you 4real?
                      Yes I'm for "real". The gap is huge between those two (relative to other plastic joints). I reccommend anything flat, durable, and thin that you can shove in there. I used a set of silver butter knives that were part of a wedding present to my parents. It worked, didn't it?

And as for getting those screws out, there was definately a solidified pre-goo on mine. Coincidentally, it was stuck on there pretty damn well. 2 used a ratched, I used a wrench, I used a flathead positioned at the base and a hammer to try and loosen it. I finally got a really old screw driver, bent the shaft to make a 90 degree, and epoxied it in the socket over night. Then my friend and I (both pretty big and strong) yanked it. It moved about three quarters of a turn, and then ran out of space. so we sawed that off. then using vise grips and those locktite things got it to make a full couple of turns. then it just hand untightened.

But yes. A hell of a lot of work. And no there was no rust or physical deformaties. Just what looked to be dried up goo...
                      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                        Of course he's for real... he's the man.
                        Yay!

Comment

Working...
                        X