true stereo sound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• true stereo sound

I've spent a good amount of time searching on this and am still a little unclear. I would like to totally replace my factory HU (especially since the GM secure lock kicked in and I dont know the code) with my carputer. I like the idea of using a 4 channel amp to power my speakers, which is simple enough to hook up. My problem lies with hooking up the sound card to the amp. Im cheap, I dont think I'll be able to have true stereo sound by going from 1/8" line out to RCA to amp. So my question is how can I get that sound? Perhaps a decently priced sound card with separate outputs (Ive seen some but looks like I would lose fade ability) or if stereo sound is possible by converting from just the line outs on the sound card. I really appreciate anybody taking the time to read this lengthy thread.

All the current PC's have true stereo sound.

Until I get a new sound-card I have a 3.5mm jack splitter taking 1x stereo output from the line out on the PC and turning it into 2 outputs. Then I have 2x 3.5mm to rca cables plugged into the 4ch Amp

It's not ideal, but it does the job

Comment

PC sound card outputs stereo, typically through 1/8" mini stereo jack. you need an adapter for mini-stereo to RCA such as this one http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family
      you get true stereo, one RCA for left channel, one for right channel.

Comment

I've seen a mini jack with 4 seperate channels on it. Count the bands, that's how many channels there are on the circuit
        mono looks like this <|=====
        stereo looks like this <|=|===
        usually only AV looks like this <|=|=|==
        4-channel looks like this <|=|=|=|=
        not to scale of course

Comment

I have a few 4 channel ones. One is for my old camera which has audio out (L and R), RCA video (3rd channel), and power for charging(4th channel), and then the sheath was ground. Definately not standard. I guess it was actually 5 channels if you include ground...
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Ground doesn't count because it's shared

How come I've got no reputation? What gives?

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
              Ground doesn't count because it's shared
              Who made that rule?!

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
              How come I've got no reputation? What gives?
              Go to the rep whore thread! We'll share some lovin. We got a system going.
              Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
              1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
              30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
              15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
              Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by cheever View Post
                I've spent a good amount of time searching on this and am still a little unclear. I would like to totally replace my factory HU (especially since the GM secure lock kicked in and I dont know the code) with my carputer. I like the idea of using a 4 channel amp to power my speakers, which is simple enough to hook up. My problem lies with hooking up the sound card to the amp. Im cheap, I dont think I'll be able to have true stereo sound by going from 1/8" line out to RCA to amp. So my question is how can I get that sound? Perhaps a decently priced sound card with separate outputs (Ive seen some but looks like I would lose fade ability) or if stereo sound is possible by converting from just the line outs on the sound card. I really appreciate anybody taking the time to read this lengthy thread.

I am curious about this too. If you have ONE audio output on your board doesnt that only give you a left and right sound?

I know listening to some music it fades from back to front and from left to right. I really want the 5.1 sound. (seperate base, seperate left, right front and back)

Also how could you use the fader? Say if someone was sleeping in the back seat and you wanted to put all the sound up front. Is there an interface for that?
                2003 E46 BMW
                Lilliput Transflective, GM965 mobo w/ Processor
                ELMSCAN 5 USB, Slot load DVD, BU-353 GPS
                Everything is for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by polo6979 View Post
                  I am curious about this too. If you have ONE audio output on your board doesnt that only give you a left and right sound?

I know listening to some music it fades from back to front and from left to right. I really want the 5.1 sound. (seperate base, seperate left, right front and back)

Also how could you use the fader? Say if someone was sleeping in the back seat and you wanted to put all the sound up front. Is there an interface for that?
                  If you want a fader control, you need a device to control that. You're looking at either a headunit or a pre-amp with a fader control, like the Audiocontrol 3.1.
                  Some hardware equalizers also have fader control, and would work well in this scenario, as well.

Ad FL, FR, RR, RL and sub is 4.1 sound, not 5.1. 5.1 includes a center channel for dialog tracks in movies. Unless its HDAudio or some other advanced format, your audio isn't going to be 5.1 anyway.
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

So there is really no sence in buying a 7.1 surround sound card? Of course your car doesnt have a center channel so does that mean you are actually losing sound?
                    2003 E46 BMW
                    Everything is for sale.

Comment

Depends on the software. Some software can combine the missing channels. 7.1 is TOTALLY useless in a car because there's nowhere near enough space to get away from the speakers. 5.1 is even pushing it

Comment

So there is really no sence in buying a 7.1 surround sound card? Of course your car doesnt have a center channel so does that mean you are actually losing sound?
                        Unless that sound card has some incredible sound quality or some feature that is a must-have for your project goals, then no.
                        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

to get a true surrond sound and less power use, is it best to go with an onboard sound card or USB?

I see alot of people using PCMCIA cards but I do not have a laptop.

I would really like a recomendation on a good PCI sound card to use. I plan on going from PC to Amp.

(Sorry to steal your thread cheever)
                          2003 E46 BMW
                          Everything is for sale.

Comment

to get a true surrond sound and less power use, is it best to go with an onboard sound card or USB?

I see alot of people using PCMCIA cards but I do not have a laptop.

I would really like a recomendation on a good PCI sound card to use. I plan on going from PC to Amp.

(Sorry to steal your thread cheever)
                            It's all good, your actually doing the same thing I am. PC to Amp, just trying to find a way to do it without spending a $200 on a sound card.

Comment

try the m-audio audiophile 192, very good reviews out there. also good rates in (german) home hifi mags

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...e192-main.html

although its msrp is 199,- you can get it cheaper if you look around.

this is as cheap as you can get and still get quality sound, everything else is crap and not considered hifi (even higher priced audigy..)

Comment

Working...
                              X