Wiring dilemma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring dilemma

As it is, we all say place the fuse closest to the battery.

What if we run 4AWG from the battery to the trunk, connect it to a dist block splitting it to 2 8AWG wires. How big of a fuse for the terminal at the battery? Do we install two fuses at the dist block for the 8AWG wires? If so, how big?

I'm powering a JBL GTO75.4 Amp, and a Carnetix P1900 with the two 8AWG wires.

Well, I'm using a similiar setup (as far as power consumption) and I'm using a 30A fuse in the engine compartment, 30a for the amp (my amp has an additional blade fuse on it) and 20a for the PC. The PC is the only one i'm not entirely sure should be that high, but it too has an additional blade fuse on the PSU.
    DON'T PANIC.

Previous install pics in 2k3 S10

Project CarPc V2

Comment

Originally posted by drPheta View Post

I'm powering a JBL GTO75.4 Amp, and a Carnetix P1900 with the two 8AWG wires.
      Are you satisfied with from the JBL amp? did you install it? for how long have you been using it? I was planning to get it next week... wanted to see what were your comments
      VIA EN15000 C7 // CTF700 7" Screen // Morex 3688 Black Case
      M2-ATX // 80GB HD
      DVD-RW // PowerMate
      Belkin Bluetooth V1.2 // Hauppauge WinTV FM

Centrafuse RC5

JBL GTO 75.4 520W // Pionneer Kevlar 260w Speakers

Comment

Add up the fuses on all of your stuff you're going to be connecting and add 15% and you'll be good to go.

Comment

the fuse is there to protect the wire from burning up. so find the rating of the wire and use that fuse or a smaller rated fuse. if you run a line to the trunk you need to install a fuse less than 18" from the front battery before it gets to the rear.
          99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
            Add up the fuses on all of your stuff you're going to be connecting and add 15% and you'll be good to go.
            That is what I would do.

Comment

ok so what if your addition exceeds the power rating of the wire you're using?

i'm not saying you can't do this. just watch the rating of the wire
              99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

Working...
              X