power question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power question

I currently have 2 10 inch mtx's subs and and led undercar light kit. In the next month or so i will be installing 2 more 10 inch subs, laptop, 10 inch flip down screen, and an xbox. My ? is will i need to upgrade me alternator or just go from a one battery setup to a 2 battery setup any advice would help me out a bunch thanks matt

need to know more info, such as:

Type of amps pushing subs, specs of laptop, brand 10" screen....

Also, if you go the 2nd battery route, you will need to upgrade your alternator anyways, as the 2nd battery will overrun the stock alternators charging abilities, as its not made to charge 2 batteries + run the car.

Comment

The screen doesn't matter as far as current draw.

Killa, unless he completely discharges the second battery, its effect on the system is negligible.

Comment

chances are he will manage to put signifigant draw on the 2nd battery considering the amp he will need to run those subs correctly, so an alternator would be needed with or without that second battery... adding the battery in the mix just makes that much more, as the equiptment is now discharging 2 batteries slightly less instead of one battery slightly more. And i figured i'd ask about the screen to make things accurate. Obviosly its onlu going to draw a couple amps at the most.

He'd be better off just getting a yellow top and HO alternator and calling it a day really.

Comment

The amps are 1000 watt sony, the laptop is a dell d610, and the screen is an audiobahn.

Comment

Killa, he NEVER said what equipment he had. We all know what happens with assumptions.

So those sony amps are about 500W peak total power. I'd spend some money and upgrade ONE set of subs and an amp before I even worried about adding a second one.

Yellow tops are deep cycle batteries and don't work as well if they're not cycled often, thus having a yellow top as a cranking battery is a less than stellar idea.

Comment

i know he never said what equipment he had, hence why i asked him 1st post....

Sony amps aren't what i'd call quality, so like Shadow said, about 500watt peak. If its the amp i am thinking it is (you'll have to tell me.. lets not assume things, ) it pulls ~40amp constant, 60 peak (has 2x 30amp fuses) Adaptor prob has a 10amp fuse considering that laptop needs a 70watt adaptor minimum (again with the assumption and the smiley smiley)

Take shadows advice, upgrade the set of subs and amp you have now.... And perhaps do a big three upgrade on the power side + better battery and alternator when you need it.

Comment

for a better sound add a big capacitor to ur amp, so that ur amp will get enough juice during high punch!!
                2006 Camry
                Compaq Laptop
                Holux GPS Iguidance 3.0
                7" Xenarc Touch Screen
                Carnetix 1900 Power Supplied, Wireless b/g

Comment

As far as upgrading my subs i have the mtx 7500's and i like them. I am not going for a loud system mine is built for quality. As far the amps what do you suggest is a good 1000 watt amp. How does a capacitor work and what is it.

Comment

A capacitor doesn't work. That's all you need to know. If you're going for SQ why are you using substandard equipment and 4 10s?

Look at Tru Technologies, DEI, Orion, JBL, MTX for amps.

Comment

so what do you consider to be a nice 10inch sub shadow.

Comment

i think a capacitor isn't such a bad idea... even without the audio system. My take on it is that it excels in the area of voltage regulation. In my car, pre-cap, i measured a drop from 12.2v to 10.7v at the battery during engine cranking. post-cap i measured 12.2 to 11.7v. That tells me that the capacitor's stored energy is helping take the hit from the starter. Could be good on a cold day. Not essential... but good. As far as audio goes... i've never measured my amp drawing much more than 6-10A, so I know i haven't had to tap that reserve at all... but we'll see when i install my sub how that goes.
                        Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
                        Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
                        Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

Stiffening caps are useless in car audio, PERIOD.

Good 10" subs:
                          Infinity Reference 10, RE10, Alpine Type S, Kicker Comp VR (least clean sounding), Alpine Type E and many more

Comment

I've seen you say that alot in various threads shadow... but little in the way of support for that theory. would you enlighten me?
                            Et ipsa scientia potestas est.

Worklog for my 2007 Civic Si ...f*** it...
                            Pictures of the Corolla (retired)here
                            Need to make something? Here are a few ideas.

Comment

I posted a showdown with and without a cap a while back using current and voltage readings that was pretty extensive. I don't feel like digging it up but if you're looking for info, search it.

Comment

Working...
                              X