Component speaker recommendations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Component speaker recommendations

I need to get some input here. I've only got Infinity Reference series top-of-mind right now. Anyone have some recommendations or other brands to suggest?

you know, i've been spending a lot of time over at http://www.diymobileaudio.com/
    and there is a wealth of knowledge about non pre-package component speakers. I'd do some reading over there and see if anything strikes your fancy and maybe you can meet up with someone in your area to take a listen. A huge chunk of it depends on installation...the other chunk is your budget. I heard a set of dynaudio 3 ways that blew me away but those are pretty pricey. i have cdt's right now and are pretty happy with them (for the price) but some people don't like them...so it all comes down to what sounds good to you.

After i complete my install i think i'm going to try some seas drivers and other diy-type drivers just to experiment.
    New System in progress:
    M10k
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
    Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
    Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
    Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

check out this too:
      http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ead.php?t=6193

those should be easy to find. maybe go listen to them.
      New System in progress:
      M10k
      Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
      My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

When I think of good components I think of Rainbow, Focal, Diamond, Morel. Actually I heard a set of Eclipse components the other day that really impressed me.

Comment

Originally posted by blkwrx View Post
          When I think of good components I think of Rainbow, Focal, Diamond, Morel. Actually I heard a set of Eclipse components the other day that really impressed me.
          the dynaudio's floored me
          New System in progress:
          M10k
          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

No ones mentioned MB Quart? By far the best speakers, they can be bright, but with proper tuning that just means more potential

Comment

MB Quart by far the best speakers?

That's a pretty bold statement, and obviously coming from someone who isn't very knowledgeable or experienced...

While they may be good, they aren't in the list of 'The Top' for sure.
              Jan Bennett
              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Scanspeak Revelators...

Comment

Just heard a set of CDTs, seems like a great set. My price range is something under $200, so I might keep looking...

Comment

Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
                    MB Quart by far the best speakers?

That's a pretty bold statement, and obviously coming from someone who isn't very knowledgeable or experienced...

While they may be good, they aren't in the list of 'The Top' for sure.
                    Wow I didnt know we were insulting people we didnt know here. I dont know how you say im not knowledgable or experienced, and in all my experience with speakers, I would say bang for buck MBQ is definately the way to go. You get like 8% better sound from focals that cost 1k. I dont find that neccesary, any speaker will sound good with a clean signal and good power. Even stock speakers can sound amazing... Not like high end components, but definately a good signal is as much of an upgrade as speakers themselves can be

edit: just because your female doesnt mean you get the typical "girl" respect all male-abundance leg humping forums give

Comment

Originally posted by FyreDaug View Post
                      Wow I didnt know we were insulting people we didnt know here. I dont know how you say im not knowledgable or experienced, and in all my experience with speakers, I would say bang for buck MBQ is definately the way to go. You get like 8% better sound from focals that cost 1k. I dont find that neccesary, any speaker will sound good with a clean signal and good power. Even stock speakers can sound amazing... Not like high end components, but definately a good signal is as much of an upgrade as speakers themselves can be

Thumbs up to this guy. I work at an audio shop as an installer. Signal and good power FTW! I use Kole audio components in my setup which is probably the cheapest set you can find. Sure they arent a great speaker but fed by my ClarionHU through my old school USAMP 442 they sound every bit as good as a high end pair on a ****ty amp. If you didnt see the label one might think they are a high $$$ set of comps. I paid a whopping $45!! (had to hear them for the price haha)
                      My carpc post: Relocated a/c + 6000 watts and 300hp *tons of pics*
                      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...highlight=6000
                      http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2...burnoutzf6.jpg

Comment

Sound is a personal preference, that said if you think MB Quart is the best for you then that is great. Personally I have never heard them, but all speakers have their own way of producing sound. The MB Quarts you speak of may have a "brighter" sounding tweeter or less/more midbass than a comparable set. (Example)

That said to the OP I would suggest doing some searches at caraudioforum.com as there is wealth of information there. I have heard very good things from others on the CDT line of drivers and for around $200 the CL and EF series seem to be quite popular. I have certainly heard MB Quart, JL, Rainbow, DLS, ID, Boston, EDi, Crystal and a couple of other brands brought up in these types of discussion.

Do you prefer softer highs, or a tinnier sound?... This will help to know when choosing a tweeter for the set. It is hard to know what you like without hearing them, but there is some info available if you search a little to find out which set does certain aspects better (less/more midbass, detail etc...)

I am looking for a set personally and am leaning towards the CDT EF61-FG or the Edi 6500's from the research I have done so far.

Comment

Originally posted by FyreDaug View Post

edit: just because your female doesnt mean you get the typical "girl" respect all male-abundance leg humping forums give
                          you want to know why I shot it down?

it's because you didn't qualify your statement in the least.

You didn't say they were the best in their price range, you said very little, and certianly didn't qualify it at all.

You know why you need to qualify that statement?

Because B&Ks can be considered the best out there period as well. The best out there usually doesn't bring money in the picture. The best out there in their price point, THAT brings money in the picture.

The 1k price for 8% better performance is worth it to some folks, myself included. If I want to be successful in my classes and I want the best out there, that means the cost:benefit ratio is high. However, depending on what you're into, the return on the investment is WELL worth it.

Have you ever noticed that the million dollar home is not necessarily 10X the square footage of a $150,000 home. It's the quality of the build, it's the structural integrity, it's a lot of things that the average home owner wouldn't even know to look for, much less be able to tell the difference.

However, in 10 years, that million dollar home, still looks like a million dollar home, while the $150,000 home is down to about $80,000.

Also, I'd like to know why you stooped so low as to bring sex into this? That's a stretch man, a big one. Not to mention a rather lame attempt at trying to make a stab at someone.

You know why I said that you must not know what you're talking about? Because anyone who does know what they are talking about would NEVER make a statement like that. Anyone who does know what they are talking about would also qualify their statement.
                          Jan Bennett
                          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post

However, in 10 years, that million dollar home, still looks like a million dollar home, while the $150,000 home is down to about $80,000.

Off topic but bad analogy. Homes that were $150,000 ten years ago are now million dollar homes.

A $150,00 boat is now a $50,000 boat.

As for the speakers I think the 8% is worth it also. But it's really more than 8%. But then again good speakers can be had for less. The $1K Focal that were mentioned are in the same catagory as $300 MBQs as far as I am concerned. Don't like either. Some people love the old Utopias or the K2Ps with the TN-52s. I want to jab myself with a pencil every time I hear them.

As far as clean signal and power, as long as your using a decent amp thats doesn't figure much into the equation. As long as it's not a Boss amp from the flea market it shouldn't be much of an issue.
                            2007 Tahoe
                            Opus with iBase 896 and Pentium M 735 Transflective Xenarc Alpine DVA-9861, PXA-H900, Sinfoni 45X2 (2) 90x2, Genesis Dual Mono, JL 1000/1 (2), Focal Be tweeters, ScanSpeak Revelator Mids, Dynaudio MW170, Dayton 12" Ref.

My Install

Comment

I personally didn't like the MBQuart Q's as a whole. If I hadn't of gotten them for a super fabulous deal ($250) I never would have bought them. Tweeters were way too bright an no amount of tuning could get rid of the whispiness of the tweeter. Too much emphasis on 's'. I prefer silk over metal tweeters but that is my preference. I sold the tweeters and crossovers a while ago.

The midbass driver from the Q's produced very nice mibass with a decent low extension for a 6.5" driver...However, 4 years later the cone is sagging, the glue on the rubber surround is starting to release and I am now in the market for replacing them. This was before Fosgate bought and sold MBQuart to Maxxsonics. Just an FYI.
                              System always under construction

Comment

Working...
                              X