Help Needed Wiring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed Wiring

I have a head unit with 2, 4 volt preouts and a amp with one input for the sub. Does anyone know a interface line is made to make it so I can use both head unit outputs? AL.

More Information On Wiring Problem

Does anyone know if some one makes a interface line that makes it safe to connect a set of RCAs from a two to one. I have a Alpine head unit that has two sub outputs and the Soundstream amplifier has only one input. I'm looking for a interface line that safely converts a stereo signal to a mono signal so the amplifier uses both 4 volt pre outs, Thanks AL.

Comment

do you have two sets of RCA outs....why would you want to connect both?

For the most part, hus out there that have 2 sets of RCA outs will have one set marked for front, one for rear and inside the HU, the rear can be turned into a sub output.

You would not want to take two sets of RCA outs from the HU and mate them into one set into a mono amp, that just doesn't make any sense.
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Wiring Problems

The Alpine HU has a stereo signal to the subs outputs. The new amp has only one. so in short I would only be sending one side to the amp, AL.

Comment

lets see here:

you should have two sets of red RCA outs on the HU, and two sets of white RCA outs.

THat's a 2 sets of rca outs. both with a white and a red.

Your amp should have a red and a white RCA in.

Correct?
          Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
            lets see here:

you should have two sets of red RCA outs on the HU, and two sets of white RCA outs.

THat's a 2 sets of rca outs. both with a white and a red.

Your amp should have a red and a white RCA in.

Correct?
            You are correct! The old amp had two inputs and the new amp has only one, AL.

Comment

Wiring Help Needed

Originally posted by IDOXLR8 View Post
              Here is a post I sent to the MP3 Store..... Do you sell or know if some one makes a interface line that makes it safe to connect a set of RCAs from a two to one. I have a Alpine head unit that has two sub outputs and the Soundstream amplifier has only one input. I'm looking for a interface line that safely converts a stereo signal to a mono signal so the amplifier uses both 4 volt pre outs, Thanks AL.

Comment

Can't you just use a Y adapter (2 female to 1 male)?

Comment

because it's dumb? You're not making a difference whatsoever. The signal stays the same. two 4volt inputs combined are still running 4 volts. It doesn't increase or decrease. You're not MAKING an 8volt input. Same with splitting, lets say you take a 4volt preout and split it for TWO amps, you're not essentially sending 2volts one way and 2 volts another way. You're still sending 4volts into both...again it depends on the splitting hardware.

http://www.bcae1.com/ycable.htm

Comment

Originally posted by LaxPlaya8513 View Post
                    because it's dumb? You're not making a difference whatsoever. The signal stays the same. two 4volt inputs combined are still running 4 volts. It doesn't increase or decrease. You're not MAKING an 8volt input. Same with splitting, lets say you take a 4volt preout and split it for TWO amps, you're not essentially sending 2volts one way and 2 volts another way. You're still sending 4volts into both...again it depends on the splitting hardware.

http://www.bcae1.com/ycable.htm
                    You are using the word dumb CAREFUL!!! I enter this forum thinking that I'm dealing with some of the best in knowledge in this area! I know about the voltage thing and that was never posted because thats not the issue here! The issue is you have a stereo signal to a amplifier and the two can not be just joined together with out some sort of interface that keeps the left and right signal from grounding each other out, AL.

Comment

that's because sub amps are MONO. Meaning they only need one input. One side of the RCA set.

That's it.

What model amp is it.
                      Jan Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
                        that's because sub amps are MONO. Meaning they only need one input. One side of the RCA set.

That's it.

What model amp is it.
                        Thanks for your follow up! Soundstream D'Artagnan 5.1 Theatre Amp 6 Channel. This amp is set for 2 fronts 2 rears 1 center (5 channel) and 1 sub (6 channel) and input are set the same. I understand the mono and voltage thing its just the HU is giving the amp only half the information because its a stereo signal coming from the HU. AL.

Comment

Thanks for your follow up! Soundstream D'Artagnan 5.1 Theatre Amp 6 Channel. This amp is set for 2 fronts 2 rears 1 center (5 channel) and 1 sub (6 channel) and input are set the same. I understand the mono and voltage thing its just the HU is giving the amp only half the information because its a stereo signal coming from the HU. AL.

Does your alpine headunit give you an option in the settings to change the sub out from stereo to mono? Most of the newer higher end alpines give you this option. Otherwise if it doesn't you could just buy an external crossover that will allow you to switch the stereo to mono. Look on ebay. Here's an option, a little overkill but the sub output has a stereo/mono switch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acoustic-XM-3-Mo...QQcmdZViewItem
                          System always under construction

Comment

Originally posted by durwood View Post
                            Does your alpine headunit give you an option in the settings to change the sub out from stereo to mono? Most of the newer higher end alpines give you this option. Otherwise if it doesn't you could just buy an external crossover that will allow you to switch the stereo to mono. Look on ebay. Here's an option, a little overkill but the sub output has a stereo/mono switch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acoustic-XM-3-Mo...QQcmdZViewItem
                            Thanks for your follow up! I'll look in to those two options, AL.

Comment

Even beter...

I looked up your manual. You can change the setting on your headunit. No need to buy anything.

Page 7 in your Alpine CDA-7878 manual.

-press and hold "setup" until you enter the setup
                              -press the ">>" track up button until you get to "subwoofer"
                              -press the "mode" button to toggle stereo/mono
                              System always under construction

Comment

Working...
                              X