GM Bose Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM Bose Question

Hello. I'm new here. I (read: my computer buddy) have the PC side of my build pretty well figured out. The problem I am running into is that I have a 200 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and it has the factory Bose system in it, and i am planning on going completely headunitless. My question is, for those of you who have done installs on Grand Prix's before, were they Bose cars? If so, how did you get around this? Will I need to get all new speakers and run all new wires and such? Any help appreciated.

J. Green

Typically you can find some sort of bypass module that will allow you to add an aftermarket stereo, add an input, or retain functions of amplified systems.
    One of these company's are here http://peripheralelectronics.com/prods.asp
    Since you said you plan to go headless one thing to consider is if your radio is used for the chime module or various functions (Onstar), you may want to retain these options by finding a bypass for your vehicle. (see above link)

I plan on doing an install on my Aurora which has the Bose system throughout, but I can't wait to gut it all and put in some real amps and speakers. Only thing I have to worry about is losing chimes and such, but they have bypass's to help with that issue.

I know this isn't exactly the info you are looking for, but it may help some.

Comment

Here is the radio wiring diagram for your 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix with the amplified (BOSE) audio system.

2000PontiacGrandPrixRadioWithAmp.pdf

From what I can see, there wouldn't be any problem hooking up a computer or other line-level source directly to inputs of the factory amplifier. The only problem you may run into is, like bungee said, the OnStar system. There is an adapter to keep the OnStar working after removing the factory head unit, but it is about $100 USD. If you don't have OnStar (or don't care about keeping it) I think you won't have any problems interfacing with your BOSE system.

To help with the connections at the factory headunit connection at the dashboard location, you can use a harness adapter. You may want to solder RCA jacks to this adapter for easy connection to a PC.
      http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hIpFgFu...00&I=120701858

I believe that you can successfully and cheaply connect your PC's sound card to your factory BOSE amplifier after removing the headunit. I don't believe any purchasing of speakers or running of new wires is necessary.

FYI - There might be some issues if your factory BOSE headunit says "RDS" on the faceplate. If it does, it may be a different story.

Good Luck.

Please note: I have not done an installation in this particular vehicle before, therefore I can only offer suggestions based on the diagrams. I cannot guarantee that these diagrams are correct or that my suggestions are valid.
      ** Denotes an "in car" post
      In-Car posts made from passenger seat - Be safe, Don't Post and Drive.

Comment

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. Thankfully I don't have Onstar. So that is one less thing to worry about. I hate my chimes anyway, so deleting them would not be a problem either. The guy that had the car before me wired somthing in to one of the map lights, and since I've owned the car, it will go off as soon as the key is out, since it thinks the light is still on, so deleting that would cut that out of the picture. I have an aftermarket PAC OEM-2 adaptor on it now, which has RCA outputs on it. Right now they are not being used, so I may be able to connect those. If any one has any other ideas or sugguestions I would appreciate it. And keep the good info coming. Need to learn as much as possible, since I don't do a whole lot of wiring or stereo work. I can, I jsut prefer not to, I am more of a motor guy.

J. Green

Comment

The RCA jacks on your PAC OEM-2 are outputs, not inputs. You will want to connect your computer audio signals directly to the factory harness *instead* of the PAC device.

What head unit are you using now? I'm a little confused. If you are using a PAC adapter, I'm guessing that you are using a aftermarket headunit already. If you are indeed using an aftermarket head unit along with a PAC adapter, I would assume that you *would* be using the RCA out jacks of the PAC OEM-2 adapter. I would think that using the RCA outs (as apposed to the high-level outs) would be required because you are interfacing to a factory amplifier. I am confused because you said the RCA jacks on the PAC unit are unused.

Any more information you can give us about your current setup will help us to give you better suggestions.

Peace.
          ** Denotes an "in car" post
          In-Car posts made from passenger seat - Be safe, Don't Post and Drive.

Comment

OK, my current setup is an Alpine single disc head unit run though the low power speaker side (under 60 w.) to the PAC OEM-2 to the factory harness. I also have a pair of 10's in the truck, but otherwise its pretty stock. I would have used the RCA outs had I been able to find any RCA ins on the factory amp, looked all over that thing, and to the best that I can tell, there are no other imputs than the factory harness.

J. Green

Comment

I would suggest you use the aftermarket harness to feed signal into the factory amp. Just tag on RCA's to the speaker leads of the adapter. Keep in mind you'll still have to power the factory amp turn-on lead too. Should be pretty straight forward as long as you dont cut off the factory plug. A new data module harness from Peripheral (m/n:GMCO) will have RCA's already, along with RAP (Retained Accessory Power), constant, ground, amp turn-on in a nice, easy package. Perhaps you already have that with the adapter that you currently use for your Alpine.

Good luck homey!

Comment

Monkey:
                I don't quite remeber how its currently wired (been over a year since I put it in), but I do know that the factory plug on the stereo is still quite intact, and I know for sure that the harness on the amp end is also intact. I will not be doing the wiring myself, I have a good friend who is brilliant with wiring. But all of the info I can get for him to take advantage of, would be most helpful.

J. Green

Comment

Working...
                X