Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody ever use a FM Modulator like this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever use a FM Modulator like this?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-33Kg98a...142FMMOD01#Tab

I have an 03 Jaguar that I am considering adding a computer to. The audio system is a nightmare, no aux inputs and I dont want to change the head unit out. Jaguar makes an adaptor for ipods and audio devices but its $320, so its my last choice. Anybody have any luck with FM Modulators liked i linked?
    03 Jaguar Xtype Sport
    Viper GTS on the Way!

I would recommend anything, and I mean anything, BUT that. I got one of those 2 days ago and plugged in my Mp3 player (CarPC parts are in the mail) and it sounds horrific. It my just be that I am using it in a 2000 Maxima (I have heard bad things about radio modifications in Maximas) but from my experience it is bad. Whenever there is no music playing but the modulator is turned on there is some pretty obvious noise (static, crackling). Plus when there is music it sounds just plain bad (i.e. like it's being played over AM). This might be isolated to Maximas/Nissans but from the experience I've had I have to recommend against it.
    Max Messinger
    Computer Expert
    Car Newbie

2000 Maxima CarPC Progress: 99%--Basic computer fully installed, full stereo overhaul planned for the future

Comment

any FM modulator is going to give horrible performance, period, end of story.
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Not for the audiophile but good enough IMO, the reviews on crutsfield are good too. I had one, (like it) on a cd changer, no complaints. IMO. Go for it.

Take the same precautions in roughting the wires to avoid noise and i think it will be ok. Again, in my opinion.
        OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
        Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
        Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
        BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
        M2-ATX Power Supply
        RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
        Windows XP SP3

Comment

it's not just an audiophile I'm basing my oponion on...it's the numerous complaints I've heard, my husband has heard (in his 10+ years of installing), various friends who have given it a try and who could care less about great audio.

The sound is NOT very good.

If you're ok with something that will sound the equivilant of those free AM/FM pocket radios that are handed out as gimmes at various functions....then you'll be fine with an FM transmitter.

By it's nature, if you go with an FM transmitter, the audio signal will NEVER be any better than FM radio. FM radio is one of the poorest qualities of audio out there.

If you care at all about your sound, you will find another way to go other than FM mods
          Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I just wish I had realized this before getting it and the Nissan antenna adapters. At this point I plan on ripping the thing out and splicing the PC audio out straight into the speaker system.

BTW, if you still want one after hearing all this I will probably be able to sell you one in a few days
            Max Messinger
            Computer Expert
            Car Newbie

2000 Maxima CarPC Progress: 99%--Basic computer fully installed, full stereo overhaul planned for the future

Comment

verymuch like the one i had in my 4runner. its HORRIABLE!!! still better than a wireless transmitter, but it is still horrible, and you will be very dissasatisfied!

save your money and buy a proper headunit with aux in.

edit, btw im not an audiophile.
              1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
              Pictures
              Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

well, i dont have a whole lot of options. it seems that jaguars use fiber optics for the audio, so its a pain to tap into. They offer an adaptor for around $250-300....just seems like a lot. Changing the head unit is not an option, i like the factory look. I wanted to do the jaguar on the cheap, and spend more money in the vette when i get another one. for $30 i guess i am willing to try a modulator.
                03 Jaguar Xtype Sport
                Viper GTS on the Way!

Comment

The jag probably uses M.O.S.T.

I've been told that there are adapters out there that are made by the same companies that make the wiring harnesses to use for aftermarket radios.

Haven't found them yet though.
                  Jan Bennett

Comment

Ya'll know the difference between a FM modulator and a FM transmitter, right?

I agree a FM transmitter is terrible but FM modulators feed directly into the FM antenna and in my experience, the sound is no worst (well, maybe a little) than FM radio. Almost 50 people a crutsfield rated that particular modulator 4 of 5. They can't be all that bad..IMO.

BTW, Fortunately, i have an old beat-up ford truck that i can chop-up any how. I chopped-up the dash to make this one particular HU fit..one with AUX in
                    OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
                    Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
                    Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
                    BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
                    M2-ATX Power Supply
                    RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
                    Windows XP SP3

Comment

i had a modulator, hard wired. horrible!!!
                      1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 in Evergreen Pearl Metallic, Lifted, Locked, and Armored. CarPc in custom console with molded touchscreen.
                      Pictures
                      Photobucket is being updated, if a picture i posted no longer works, please PM me.

Comment

Killervette, that fm modulator will probably be good for you. I used one very similar, it was an older Jensen, but looked exactly the same and it worked very well.

Yes, it's not the best way to go, but if you take your time installing it, grind down your grounds to bare metal, you should be happy with the results.

If you spend the money now on a better quality fm modulator, the results will be that much better. Some of the cheaper battery operated ones are complete trash.
                        www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

Sounds good....thanks for all the opinion guys. Its appreciated. I will keep you informed on the status of the Jag-puter?? lol. And also, will update you on the vette or viper puter when I decide what to get.
                          03 Jaguar Xtype Sport
                          Viper GTS on the Way!

Comment

^^ i cant wait to see both =D

btw, i really didnt like my fm modulator... i just got an amp and took out the HU altogether, worked alot better too.. fuller sound, less noise ^^ took 1.5 more hours though
                            2004 Impreza WRX CarPC Install

I am willing to host any legal downloads that may benefit the CarPC community - PM for info

"When you go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, you don't need a made up character called fast. Thats what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."

DG4L

Comment

Working...
                            X