Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low profile Sub woofers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Low profile Sub woofers

    Just passing on some info .

    These only need 3" of clearance. Time for some door subs


    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-f4CJCK0...w&i=130TSS2541

  • #2
    Exile makes much better low profile subs.

    http://www.exilecaraudio.com/2006/products/subwoofers/

    The XTEC is pretty much the best low profile sub. Only 3.5'' mounting depth and more than twice the power of the Pioneers.

    Comment


    • #3
      tang band and elemental design's make some shallow mount subs as well.
      New System in progress:
      M10k
      Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
      Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
      Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
      Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
      Transflective Xenarc

      My Car Pc Install
      My Boat Pc worklog

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by scott_fx View Post
        tang band and elemental design's make some shallow mount subs as well.

        actually i have a friend who put a pair of SQ 10s(eD) in his moms car he said they get quite loud for $55 each.

        note:

        There was an article in CA magazine, comparing the Clarion & Pioneer shallow 10". If i remember correctly the Clarion was better...im not sure i'll check back later
        screen name here use to be MegaloRESE15"

        Comment


        • #5
          phase linear/evolution has low-profiles too.... not that cheap though
          Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

          'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

          CarPC: none at the moment
          CLARION HX-D2
          CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
          CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
          CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

          Comment


          • #6
            JL also indtroducted one at CES this year not sure how any of these do from an SQ perspective but it certainly gives us a little more flexibility with installation.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by spoonraker View Post
              Exile makes much better low profile subs.

              http://www.exilecaraudio.com/2006/products/subwoofers/

              The XTEC is pretty much the best low profile sub. Only 3.5'' mounting depth and more than twice the power of the Pioneers.

              Just curious, but can you back up this statement about it being much better?

              How? In what way are they better? Do you have anything to back up this statement?
              Jan Bennett
              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

              Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MegaloRESE15" View Post
                actually i have a friend who put a pair of SQ 10s(eD) in his moms car he said they get quite loud for $55 each.

                note:

                There was an article in CA magazine, comparing the Clarion & Pioneer shallow 10". If i remember correctly the Clarion was better...im not sure i'll check back later
                i looked at the artcile today, yep Clarion scored a lot higher than the Pioneer.
                screen name here use to be MegaloRESE15"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
                  Just curious, but can you back up this statement about it being much better?

                  How? In what way are they better? Do you have anything to back up this statement?
                  Read the specs, almost everything is twice the pioneers. My door speakers get more power than those pioneer subs. They are just plain better equipment.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by spoonraker View Post
                    Read the specs, almost everything is twice the pioneers. My door speakers get more power than those pioneer subs. They are just plain better equipment.
                    Not to add fuel to the fire, but more power isn't aways an indication of performance. What if I don't have a lot of power? Maybe the pioneers are more efficient. Specs don't mean much in this world today. Things can look great on paper, but without a comparison you can't judge anything by specs alone. I don't doubt your statement, but I think before you can make a statement like that you better have more to back it up.

                    For example, I bought some 6.5 subwoofers that looked great for the specs, but damn were they grossly inefficient, didn't play as smoothly as my previous set of 6.5"s and didn't actually play as low either, even though the specs suggested it.

                    Pioneer subs are a well built product, not my favorite subs, but they make a decent product. I would be curious to know how the XTEC sounds.
                    System always under construction


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by durwood View Post
                      Not to add fuel to the fire, but more power isn't aways an indication of performance. What if I don't have a lot of power? Maybe the pioneers are more efficient. Specs don't mean much in this world today. Things can look great on paper, but without a comparison you can't judge anything by specs alone. I don't doubt your statement, but I think before you can make a statement like that you better have more to back it up.
                      Heck, if we're just going off of power, I guess my Focal Beryllium tweeters suck. Heck, the Focal Beryllium No 5, 6, and 7 kits must suck compared to most other. My Focal 16" sub must suck too compared to some of those SPL subs out there.

                      For example, I bought some 6.5 subwoofers that looked great for the specs, but damn were they grossly inefficient, didn't play as smoothly as my previous set of 6.5"s and didn't actually play as low either, even though the specs suggested it.
                      amen to that!

                      playing the spec game is all good and fine to give you a start. However, you should NEVER base your oponions purely on specs. Time and time again they have been proven to be grossly misleading.
                      Jan Bennett
                      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

                      Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        its all about Efficiency
                        screen name here use to be MegaloRESE15"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Also of good note-another thread on shallow subs for recommendations:

                          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ighlight=morel

                          Added: Also depth on the XTEC are 0.5" more than the pioneer I think? Might have a problem with mounting depth. The "best" speaker is the one that works best for the needs and application.
                          System always under construction


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            They are both ok subs, I just think the xtecs sound better. I pointed out the specs because nobody believes statements like that over the internet. I guess just read some reviews and do some of your own research.

                            Also exile is a very good company in general. Here's a response somebody posted from another thread...
                            i have a pair of x2400.1's they are some beasts and very solid well worth the money

                            ive heard a pair of xtec 6.5 and imo they sound as good as rainbows and cdt's that i had and were twice as much

                            customer service is stellar you can call almost anytime and talk to the owners/engineers morgan or brian they are very helpfull and knowledgeable....

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              2 things...

                              1 spec sheet's are not going to tell which is better...

                              2 chances are, in a door, you'll never be able to run these at full power handling anyway..., nor anywere near ideal conditions that resulted in the spec's to begin with....


                              I have a pair off illusion audio 10's in my front doors.... there is a ton of work necissary to have a configuration like this work though.... the doors need a lot of work or your doors will make more noise than the speakers.... any noise the door makes is a direct negative effect on the overall sound quality... so the speaker is NOT your limiting factor anyway belive it or not, untill the point that you have your doors 100% truly dead...

                              truth is, this is impractical to acheave on a car door that is still going to be used as a car..... add to this the fact that there is very little you can do to a door as a whole to affect the air volume of the enclosure, & the enclosure will leak, no question about that... all this means that the specs are even more useless in a real world aplication....


                              BOTTOM LINE:

                              my nd-10's can handle over 350w rms... my doors can barely handle them at 150 watts, & adding more power will take away rather than improve, unless i do a bit more reinforcing & adding more weight & other measures to seal better & make more ridgid....

                              if this was a competition vehicle I may persue the next level, but as my little street car it's good enough for me, I already have an extensive amount of work done to my doors, & they are pretty heavy as is... they close like a vault
                              MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

                              first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X