computer and sound?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer and sound?

Ok, i've read and searched but i still don't understand how it works. I want the computer sound to play though my speakers. I have a head unit with an AUX input. But i always want to use the radio? But i want to hook up a computer radio this way i don't have to go to the head unit every time i change the station. so i can just change it on the touch screen. So heres how i think it works? Get a Y-spliter from the sound card. run those cables to a AUX adapter plug the AUX adpater to the headunit. The keep the headunit on AUX? The buy like a USB radio card? So i can play the radio though the PC then just have it come out of the speakers? Thanks for any help. -cnelson.

The computer's audio goes into the Aux input of yoour headunit.
    Want to listen to the radio? Select it with the headunit.
    Want to listen to a CD? Select it with the headunit.
    Want to listen to the computer's audio? Select it with the headunit.

You're seriously over-thinking this...

And USB radio cards/dongles aren't designed to be used while going 60 down the freeway or dealing with buildings and such. Their reception is usually poor.
    If you want PC radio, the best solution is the HQCT (Hi Quality Computer Tuner, I believe). Information here: http://xtronic.be/?id=91&lang=2
    I believe the mp3car.com store has or had them available for purchase.

If you're going to go that route, there is really no reason to retain the headunit. The PC's audio can go straight to the amp or amps. That's how my system is/will be.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Ok, so if i do keep my head unit in case i want to listin to the radio or something, but i'd also have a differant screen for the computer so would it go something like this; Is this a pretty easy way to do it?

Comment

you got it. but the ground for you computer will be attatched to the 'box to have the pc power on, and power off the right way' aka.. 'psu with shutdown controller'
        New System in progress:
        M10k
        Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
        Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
        Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
        Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

what does psu stand for? and i've searched but couldn't come up with a answer. how to you hook up those shut down controllers? Do you have to tap into the motherboard? Also if i used a laptop how would i run wires to? Like, how would i run a postive and negitive line from it? And if i used the touch screen that would only controll the volume for the computer not for the speakers correct? I would use the head unit to controll the volume for the speakers? Thanks for any help. -cnelson.

Comment

please read the faq emporium
            New System in progress:
            M10k
            Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
            Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
            Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
            Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
            Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
            My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by cnelson View Post
              Ok, so if i do keep my head unit in case i want to listin to the radio or something, but i'd also have a differant screen for the computer so would it go something like this; Is this a pretty easy way to do it?
              Eerything in the blue circle is a DC-DC PSU. There are several models in the store here: http://store.mp3car.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=2
              They are specifically designed to power a PC, as well as startup/shutdown a PC with the vehicle's ignition.

Another option is the box to have PC power on. and power off the right way, also known as a startup/shutdown controller, or SSDC.
              Attached Files
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I really think you should spend some time reading here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78795

and then here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51489

All of your questions should be answered in those two threads.
                Jan Bennett
                FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Ok, i've read up on everything but i don't really understand one last thing; Do i wire the shutdown/start up contoller right to the bettery? Or the igition? Also does this controll my monitor or just the computer? I think if i'm correct i can set it to turn on boy with the car and off with the car rgiht? -cnelson.

Comment

wire it to both. It has to have a constant and it has to have an ignition source so it knows how to turn on.

it can control the monitor if you wire it up as such.

most DC-DC PSUs have start-up and shut-down controllers built in.
                    Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Ok, i searched for "DC-DC Power Supply Wireing" but only one theard came up and it wasn't that helpful. I was looking at this; http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetai...Code=PWR%2D004 But i don't understand how it connects to the computer or how it connects to the monitor? Is it just like a postive wire? Or do i have to like connect it to the motherboard somehow? I'm sorry if i didn't search the right terms. But any help is great. Thanks. -cnelson.

Comment

I don't want to come across wrong, but one reason you might not have gotten the results you were looking for is that it's spelled wrong.

"Wiring"

If you've never seen inside of a computer, I'd suggest taking apart your home desktop.

That PSU has a ATX style molex connector on it that connects to the motherboard. As for connecting to the monitor, you need to splice the wires in to the needed wires. It's going to be positive and a ground.
                        Jan Bennett

Comment

Alright thank you. Sorry i didn't notice my stupid spelling error. Just a quick question. Would a laptop be hooked up the same way? Like would the motherboard have the ATX connecter also? I just want to make sure because i'm thinking about useing a laptop for the project. Thanks again. -cnelson.

Comment

no on the laptop - and that's been covered probably a hundred times already. I will tell you to search on that one.
                            Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                            X