Help Choosing a Head Unit.. Please..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Choosing a Head Unit.. Please..

I'm going to be swapping my stock head unit out for something after market.. I'm not really sure what yet.. My question is, how will my sound change?? I have a Scion xB and from what I understand, the stock head unit is "EQed" for our cars. With an aftermarket head unit make it sound better/worse/same?

Also, I'm not quite sure what the RMS wattage is on the stock Scion radios.. I dont need anything louder, but I'd like the aftermarket head unit to be at least as loud as the stock unit. What wattage should I be looking at??

To be honest, I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible.. I'm going to be using this as a backup to a CarPC system. I'd hate to be on a long drive and the computer die and I'm left with no music at all.. So, I'm going to use the HU has an amp.. Only thing is, I'm looking for something that has rear inputs.. I've been looking at these three radios:

Clarion DB365USB: http://www.cardomain.com/item/CLADB365USB
    Jensen CDX6311: http://www.cardomain.com/item/JENCDX6311
    Kenwood KDC-MP632U: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-osCC5wB...32U&i=113MP632

The Kenwood would be my first choice if money wasn't a factor but its almost double the price than the Clarion and Jensen. The Kenwood has the highest wattage @ 22w x 4 RMS, Clarion @ 19w x 4 RMS, and Jensen @ 16w x @ RMS.. I'm not sure how big of a difference these wattages will yield me compared to stock.

Any help or suggestions?? The is the last part I need to order for my CarPC and I'm really stuck on it.

You won't notice the difference between 4x16 watts and 4x22watts to be honest.

I absolutely wouldn't buy jensen!!! And betweend kenwood and clarion, I prefer clarion. My advise: Go listen to those 3 (and maybe some more) HU's and make up your mind. As I said, you won't hear the difference if you go by the figures of that output, BUT the volume and sound may differ between one and the other because of the certain quality of used components.
    Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

CarPC: none at the moment
    CLARION HX-D2
    CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
    CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
    CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

Comment

Originally posted by IC-C30 View Post
      You won't notice the difference between 4x16 watts and 4x22watts to be honest.

I absolutely wouldn't buy jensen!!! And betweend kenwood and clarion, I prefer clarion. My advise: Go listen to those 3 (and maybe some more) HU's and make up your mind. As I said, you won't hear the difference if you go by the figures of that output, BUT the volume and sound may differ between one and the other because of the certain quality of used components.
      Unfortunatly, the only thing I can find locally is the Jensen. Everything else doesnt have rear RCA inputs.. Everything at stores around here have the front input which WOULD work but I dont want wires running in front of the stereo.

So, I'm going to have to buy blindly. To give you an example, "Dual" radios are big here

Comment

dual is the biggest crap you could buy!!

I'd sugest looking into something from clarion, pioneer or alpine

CLARION HX-D2

Comment

How about Kenwood vs sub $100 Clarions?

Comment

close call, but I still prefer clarion, that'd rather have to do with the fact it matches my amps, since clarion is the same concern as McIntosh.....

See, if you buy a -$100 HU, they all are pretty much the same in my opinion, the difference lays in little things.... (as long as you stay away from sony!) so maybe you should come up with a few models to compare?

CLARION HX-D2

Comment

close call, but I still prefer clarion, that'd rather have to do with the fact it matches my amps, since clarion is the same concern as McIntosh.....

See, if you buy a -$100 HU, they all are pretty much the same in my opinion, the difference lays in little things.... (as long as you stay away from sony!) so maybe you should come up with a few models to compare?
              I did in my original post.. Its between these two now:

Clarion DB365USB: http://www.cardomain.com/item/CLADB365USB
              Kenwood KDC-MP632U: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-osCC5wB...U&i=113MP63 2

Comment

Ow, I'm sorry, I'll look at them and let you know.

I couldn't find any info on the manufacturer's site that made me much wiser (models weren't even on the website), so can't help you....

CLARION HX-D2

Comment

Ow, I'm sorry, I'll look at them and let you know
                  thx

Comment

after comparing the specs (for what I could find), the kenwood seems best choise.... FM-reception is better on the clarion though....

CLARION HX-D2

Comment

after comparing the specs (for what I could find), the kenwood seems best choise.... FM-reception is better on the clarion though....
                      I hate bugging you with 1000 questions, but could you tell me what specs make the Kenwood better? I'm still learning about headunits so I'd like to know just for future purchases.

Comment

better SNR
                        higher output
                        broader frequencyresponse

that's about it for what I could find on info to compare both units

CLARION HX-D2

Comment

better SNR
                          higher output
                          broader frequencyresponse

that's about it for what I could find on info to compare both units
                          Cool.. As long as its not better because its has useless features I wont need in my situation, I'm sold on it..

I'll probably order it tonight..

Thanks alot for the help!

Comment

I'm a SQ-guy, so the less useless features, the better but I'm ripping out the HU in a matter of time to replace it with only a car-pc, I'll use a HQCT for radio instead.

CLARION HX-D2

Comment

I'm a SQ-guy, so the less useless features, the better but I'm ripping out the HU in a matter of time to replace it with only a car-pc, I'll use a HQCT for radio instead.
                              Me too.. I dont care if the display is in color and animated and if the head unit will serve me a cup of coffee. I just want it to do its job and sound good..

HQCT?? What is that?

Comment

Working...
                              X