Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New FLI 800 Amp with Mutant 12" Sub

Hi guys,

Basically I've just bought as it says in the title, a new FLI 800W Amplifier, and a 12" 600W Max Output Mutant Sub. I've set it all up, and have only got the sub connected to the amp, speakers currently connected to the Head unit. Everything is working ok, how ever I have a slight problem which I'm hoping you guys can help me with.

Even with very low gain on the amp and 0 Bass on the Head Unit, if I put the volume over 36 (Volume goes up to 47) the sub seems to start going mental and does not go with the music but seems to go wrong... not sure what the sub is doing when this happens but its certainly not right, and if the gain is set higher, then the sub has this problem when the volume is low.

I would really appreciate it if some one could give me some advice as to what's wrong and how to solve the problem, the amp has a lot of stuff to fiddle with and I'm leaving it now for some instructions from you lot. I really would like to put this thing at full blast and see what its like, hopefully with a high quality
    Thanks

Stu

Mutant Sub Here: http://www.mutant.uk.com/mt12sb.html
    FLI 800Amp Here: http://www.fliaudio.co.uk/index.asp?...=s-loaded.html

what do you mean the sub starts going mental?

it stops playing, it doesn't play at all? be more specific...it's probably just distortion

Comment

hmmmmmm here goes....

I'll give you some first tips though

The gain is not a volume-knob, you have to set it up carefully. Furthermore, I think your phase might be reversed, meaning you have connected your voice-coil the other way around (+to- twice instead of +to+ and -to-). One other possibility could be your amp isn't powerfull enough to keep the sub in control...

And I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but you might not expect high quality from that equipment
      Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

CarPC: none at the moment
      CLARION HX-D2
      CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
      CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
      CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

Comment

Originally posted by spoonraker View Post
        what do you mean the sub starts going mental?

it stops playing, it doesn't play at all? be more specific...it's probably just distortion
        He means the sub isn't in control....

CLARION HX-D2

Comment

It's like distortion, but more than distortion, because it has no rythym with the music at all and even if I pause the song, the sub continues with unusual booming noises, its not a constant boom.

And even when I turn the volume back down the sub continues with this booming, so I have to turn the Headunit off wait about 10 seconds and then switch it back on again. Hope this helps to answer the question!

Comment

OK.... ditch the amp..... you're making it clip!!!

CLARION HX-D2

Comment

The amp is brand new, surely FLI would not risk making a poor product simply because they could be sued if there product ruins other products?

I think your phase might be reversed, meaning you have connected your voice-coil the other way around (+to- twice instead of +to+ and -to-)
              If this was the case, surely the music just would not play?

Comment

Oh and surely there is no point ditching the amp if I can still listening to music just, not with my sub as loud as it should go?

Thanks for the advice guys keep it coming.

Comment

Originally posted by stuartm010 View Post
                  The amp is brand new, surely FLI would not risk making a poor product simply because they could be sued if there product ruins other products?

If this was the case, surely the music just would not play?
                  Double wrong I'm affraid.

They're making products that are conform to certain standards and for the rest they assume that people who buy their products are knowledgeable... AND... Those standards are so low manufactures just can make crap and sell it....

2. If this is the case, the sub will only play towards the magnet insted of the other way around....

CLARION HX-D2

Comment

Originally posted by stuartm010 View Post
                    Oh and surely there is no point ditching the amp if I can still listening to music just, not with my sub as loud as it should go?

Thanks for the advice guys keep it coming.
                    Doesn't matter what you say or do... at a certain point the amp will fail on you and possibilities are it is going to ruine your sub and or other speakers also!

CLARION HX-D2

Comment

Originally posted by IC-C30 View Post
                      2. If this is the case, the sub will only play towards the magnet insted of the other way around....
                      Ok, sorry I'm a newbie so would you care to explain what you mean by that, sounds like my old physics lessons

Doesn't matter what you say or do... at a certain point the amp will fail on you and possibilities are it is going to ruine your sub and or other speakers also!
                      I'm guessing you know this from previous experience? Ok whats the best thing to do, take the sub back to the shop I bought it from and exchange it for...?

Comment

hehe

see, a speaker that produces sound "pumps" it's sound out in a direction away from the magnet.... when you reverse the polarity the cone will retract instead of push.... simple as that...

CLARION HX-D2

Comment

Oooh nice one! right, I'm going to quickly try changing that now then and have a fiddle, see if I can sort it! Thanks

Comment

I got to know all I know by ,,, and some more you know

CLARION HX-D2

Comment

If it continues even when the music isn't playing that sounds like you're just picking up a TON of noise. Did you make sure to run your RCAs on the other side of the car as the power wires?

Comment

Working...
                              X