JVC head unit high noise floor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JVC head unit high noise floor

Hey all, I've got a JVC KD-LH915 head unit, and I've noticed the noise floor is very high. It doesn't increase with volume, it's there as soon as the volume is at level 1, and is quite audible when there is no music playing, or at low music volumes. It does it with CD/mp3, SD card, and aux in, probably radio too. It's done it since new, nothing has changed. It's not interference, as it does it with the car off too.

Has anyone come across this, and is there any way to reduce it?
    I'm not sure if this is related to it, but the difference in volume between 0 and 1 is pretty big, i.e. 0 it's off, 1, you can hear it pretty well.

I'm thinking possibly something to do with the amplifier gains, or the fact that the pre-outs are 6v, so the level into the amplifiers is pretty high?

*ST185 Celica GT-Four Group A Rallye (Alltrac Carlos Sainz edition)*
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96292

Originally posted by tooch View Post
    Hey all, I've got a JVC KD-LH915 head unit, and I've noticed the noise floor is very high. It doesn't increase with volume, it's there as soon as the volume is at level 1, and is quite audible when there is no music playing, or at low music volumes. It does it with CD/mp3, SD card, and aux in, probably radio too. It's done it since new, nothing has changed. It's not interference, as it does it with the car off too.

Has anyone come across this, and is there any way to reduce it?
    I'm not sure if this is related to it, but the difference in volume between 0 and 1 is pretty big, i.e. 0 it's off, 1, you can hear it pretty well.

I'm thinking possibly something to do with the amplifier gains, or the fact that the pre-outs are 6v, so the level into the amplifiers is pretty high?

6v preouts would help eliminate that, not cause it. What's the input spec on the amps. With 6 volts the gains should be turned way down on most amps.

Comment

Hmm ok, I wasn't sure about that

I have no idea what the input spec on the amps is, I might have a play around with the gains tonight actually, cheers for the help

Comment

Originally posted by tooch View Post
        Hmm ok, I wasn't sure about that

I have no idea what the input spec on the amps is, I might have a play around with the gains tonight actually, cheers for the help
        I think you probably already know this, but the quick old fashioned way is just turn the HU about 80% up with the amp gains all the way down. Then slowly bring them up a little and see what happens. Shoudl only take a second.

Comment

Originally posted by Postman View Post
          I think you probably already know this, but the quick old fashioned way is just turn the HU about 80% up with the amp gains all the way down. Then slowly bring them up a little and see what happens. Shoudl only take a second.
          I did this with my old head unit, but I was probably too excited when I installed this one, and probably banged it in and hooked it up

Thanks for reminding me of that method, I'll have a crack at it tonight

Comment

Dude, you are a champion

I had a play around with the gains last night, and you were correct! They are nearly all the way down now, there is still a tiny bit of white noise, but it's inaudible when the car is running.

Many thanks!

Comment

Cool! No problem, sometime the simple things we forget cause the most issues. Glad that worked out for you!

Wish I could get rid of my noise problems that easy.....

Comment

Working...
              X