To those who have implemented tuning on the PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To those who have implemented tuning on the PC

I have a few questions for things I'd like to add to the FAQ. I've had a LOT of people PM me asking me questions. Since I haven't implemented this in my own vehicle yet, I cannot answer. Some of these questions don't really have an answer anyways, but maybe collectively we can come up with some good guidelines.
    • What's the minimum processor speed needed to run audio tuning software?
      • For a fully active set-up with pay-for software? (I mention these options because the pay-for and the free software tuning seems to be different in terms of intensity)
      • For a fully active set-up with free software?
      • For a 2-way set-up
      • For a 3-way set-up
      • For a 5.1 set-up
    • What sound cards work for this project?
      • For a fully-active with pay-for software?
      • For a fully active set-up with free software?
      • For a 2-way set-up
      • For a 3-way set-up
      • For a 5.1 set-up

While I completely understand that the minimum processor requirements will vary greatly depending on your set-up and how detailed you want to get with tuning, perhaps we can give people a minimum overall?

I'd also like to ask anyone who has fully implemented tuning in the car to list off their hardware specs and the software they are running. Maybe this will help others that are trying to get started in this game.

I'm also wondering if another sub-forum just for tuning on the CarPC might be a good idea since there's so much information involved with it. Your thoughts?
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

I can give you a computer speed that I have tried and does not work..
    VIA C7 1.5GHz
    It's a popular chipset and I am sure many have wondered about this.. so there is the answer.

The soundcard that I did get to work is the
    Presonus Firebox. http://www.presonus.com/firebox.html
    This was with fully active VAC, and the free versions of Console and ASIO4All.
    I used a multimeter to measure the Signal voltage of the firebox. I got between 5-7 volts before clipping. If I recall correctly, Up to 10 -13 volts clipping. It has six ouputs, one headphone out, 4 inputs and can be powered through firewire. Pretty decent card for software ASIO based tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by ironfinger View Post
      I can give you a computer speed that I have tried and does not work..
      VIA C7 1.5GHz
      It's a popular chipset and I am sure many have wondered about this.. so there is the answer.
      Thanks for the info! However, can you please elaborate on which method did not work and on what you were trying to achieve exactly? Is it what you have listed below?

The soundcard that I did get to work is the
      Presonus Firebox. http://www.presonus.com/firebox.html
      This was with fully active VAC, and the free versions of Console and ASIO4All.
      I used a multimeter to measure the Signal voltage of the firebox. I got between 5-7 volts before clipping. If I recall correctly, Up to 10 -13 volts clipping. It has six ouputs, one headphone out, 4 inputs and can be powered through firewire. Pretty decent card for software ASIO based tuning.
      Also here, can you give us some insight as to what the rest of the harware was that worked with this set-up? How many channels were you running, etc.?
      Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

The via 1.5 chipset could not handle the winamp/VAC/ASio4All/Console approach. this method: http://www.mp3car.com/wiki/index.php..._Tuning_Method

I tried running 5.1 channels in Console.. with only EQs plugged into the fronts, center, rears, & sub; no crossovers or time alignment, just 30 band EQs. As soon as I hit play, 75% of the processor was consumed.. chug-a-lug!

The Presonus Firebox worked with the above setup.. but the computer just was not powerful enough. If I had a powerful cpu, I am positive that this sound card would be most excellent. However, it's a soundcard that is taylored towards the recording studio, so while it will work great for the above method, there are better and cheaper options for a stand-alone setup.

Comment

Hardware:
          Mini ATX M2NPV-VM + Athlon X2 4200+
          Audigy 2 ZS
          Opus 250w

Software:
          Foobar
          KX Project
          Console
          AIXcoustic Electri-Q (full version)
          Voxengo AudioDelay

Right now its driving a 5channels fully active setup.
          Electri-Q is used for crossover and tuning. Right now, it is only loaded 3 times, 1 for tweeter, 1 for mid-woofer, 1 for sub-woofer. It will probably be loaded 8 time in the final 7 channel setup. 3 Audio delay are loaded too but dont seem to use lot of power.

In standard mode (analog or digital), not in eco mode, console will use around 7-8% of the cpu. In Linear IIR (The one i use right now), it will be around 30% (i think everything is processed twice, so this is why it is so hungry).

Routing and master volume is done via the KX Project. Foobar use kernel streaming to output data to KX and KX record it in Asio for console. The resulting 5channels from console are connected to master volume then jack output.

Foobar play stream in 24bits and resample to 48000hz in high quality.
          Carputer Athlon X2 4200+
          800tsv - Audigy 2 ZS - PowerMate - Wifi 802.11n
          All Audio Tunning done via Software. 7 channels.
          CDT ES-07 - HD2 - DRT25
          ED Nine.2x
          ED Nine.4
          ED Nine.1
          ED 110v.2 (x2)

Comment

BenOBS - since you have implemented KX drivers tuning and are using Foobar, would you mind contributing?

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-...rocessing.html

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-...rocessing.html

It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
            Jan Bennett

Comment

Here is my setup, I'm kind of a cheapo person, so I didn't opt for top end computer hardware until I felt I needed more.

Hardware
              -Intel mATX D865GVHZ mobo
              -Pentium 4M 1.8GHZ (Socket 478 laptop processor)
              -512MB PC2100 RAM
              -Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HIFI
              -Seagate 7200RPM 3.5" harddrive

Software
              -Directwire (Routing WDM stream to ASIO)-came with my soundcard
              -Console (Full pay version)
              -Frequency Allocator (Full pay version-not the lite full version)
              -One of the free 31 Band EQ's listed on wiki page-one for each left and right channel before going into frequency allocator-so 2 instances
              -Voxengo Stereo Delay (4 instances)
              -Winamp

8 channels or a 4-way stereo setup.
              -Tweeters
              -Midranges
              -Midbass
              -Subwoofer

I was seeing approximately 50% CPU usage with my setup. I'm probably going to switch my EQ to the ElectricQ free one. I am also aware that ElectricQ can be used for EQ AND crossover, but I think I will stick with frequency Allocator since I already bought it, and it's a little easier to use for setting crossover points.
              System always under construction

Comment

Damn good deal...

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ewpost&t=26023

Comment

Originally posted by RedGTiVR6 View Post
                  I'm also wondering if another sub-forum just for tuning on the CarPC might be a good idea since there's so much information involved with it. Your thoughts?
                  I vote yes for another sub-forum just for tuning on the CarPC. I'm slowly starting to save up some money to go active and I'm trying to acquire more knowledge on the subject.
                  02' JETTA 1.8T | WORKLOG ALBUM

Comment

I'll second that, one forum for general car audio & another for high end & pc tuned audio would work well I think, there are some guys that just want to get sound out of there pc, & then theres the real diehards who know sound is just noise & want an audiophile solution... seperating the 2 sounds like a worthwhile thing I think
                    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Hmmm, well as far as the idea of a separate tuning forum, that could lead to more sub-forums. How much would we divide it into subforums before it would start to look more and more like a regular car-audio forum?

I have only seen a handful of people wanting more advanced tuning topics and I think there is a ton of great info already in the wiki. It could use some more additions, but I think most of the methods are in place ATM. I think the ASIO/VST method could be expanded on because there is more than one way to skin a cat and it is the most complex.

Maybe I/we could go back in time a bit and dig up all the old treads pertaining to tuning and lump them into a new FAQ?

What types of info does everyone want?

Comment

Initially, I made the suggestion because it seemed like there were a lot of threads going about it...in reality, there's maybe 1 or 2 threads about it total...not enough for a sub-forum.
                        Jan Bennett

Comment

hm, guess your right... how about a subforum for high end stuff, kinda like show off you project & then works in progress kinda setup? maybe still not enough for that to I guess...

Comment

then I'd see users getting confused about where to post their work logs...because let's face it...some users think their install is the hottest stuff since sliced bread...when some of us would look at it and wonder....
                            Jan Bennett

Comment

no, I'm sorry, I just ment a forum within a forum, "like" the worklog section is set up...

Comment

Working...
                              X