Alpine 700/701 upgrades?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpine 700/701 upgrades?

Wondering if anyone here has any information on upgrades for the internals on the 700/701? I've seen the page in German, but there's literally no details.

I'm really interested in the schematic for the 701.

I've got a few thoughts on some other pie in the sky upgrades that I think would be killer, but not being an electrical engineer I have no clue if they are possible.

For instance, a better volume control module...even moving to an analog volume control. I'd also like to change one of the tos-link inputs to a digital coax input...but I don't know what that would take.

I'd also LOVE to somehow hack the 701 and get rid of the controller all together and make an application for the PC...ha! Yeah right...
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

There is a pretty detailed technical post over on ECA that was done by werewolf awhile back. I'm pretty sure the general consensus was you can't do much. There are some benefits that particular DAC offers but it's not really upgradeable if memory serves me correctly.

However having said that converting one of the outputs to coax should be doable. As two the other thing on your wish list there's always posts about hacking the Ai-NET protocol for simple tracking/volume commands but nothing ever seems to come to light. It would be cool though

Give jc2, Kevin7909, or werewolf a holler over at ECA

Comment

I've read the review by him, but that's all it was....just a review. He didn't go into detail about exactly what could be upgraded. I do know that there's a number of things that CAN be upgraded though as I've talked to a number of people who have actually done it.

However, they have always paid someone to do it and never went into detail online about what was or could have been done....

If I end up paying someone to upgrade mine, I'll post the info up.

This is the thread btw:

http://www.elitecaraudio.com/forums/...threadid=87972
      Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I thought the cost to upgrade did not make it worthwhile. How much were you quoted to upgrade it?

two zapco DSP6's an option?
        System always under construction

Comment

I've recently learned about the DSP10 that Zapco has coming out. That MIGHT be an option...

The initial research I had done indicated only a couple hundred bucks to upgrade the 701, I'm finding that's not the case.
          Jan Bennett

Comment

Ah, so they went to a 10 channel. Last I heard they were working on an 8 channel. Nice.

Comment

yeah - so the Elite Car audio crew has just confirmed what I thought in the past...lol

Anywho, I think I'll end up just keeping the Alpine the way it is for now and focus my money elsewhere in the car...like rebuilding the pillars to have a set for shows only since the Be 3" needs more air space than I'm currently giving it and new seats so that I can actually move them further back than stock.
              Jan Bennett

Comment

Have you at what point moving the seats back kill stage width?

Comment

yeup - that's why we're going to be remaking the pillars...can't move the seats back and keep the same pillars that were designed with the old seat location in mind.
                  Jan Bennett

Comment

yikes... I can't post worth anything when my mind is in la-la land. I remembered seeing Mark E post something about every vehicle has a point where going back so far will make stage width crumble.

I'm in the process of aiming my kicks and what what I have, I've seem to hit that point on the very last click of the seat. Seas w15cy with Peerless HDS tweeter, relocated hood release and wiring clips to free up room, removed dead pedal (support still there for the carpets "structural" integrity, but hacked half away for more room.)

Sorry for the OT.

Comment

Originally posted by pwntbypat View Post
                      yikes... I can't post worth anything when my mind is in la-la land. I remembered seeing Mark E post something about every vehicle has a point where going back so far will make stage width crumble.

Sorry for the OT.
                      hehe since you went OT I'll just sort of add to it.

"Stereo" is based on an equilateral triangle. Therefore, path lengths sould be as close to equal as possible. between drivers and between yourself and each driver. You can increase the perceived width by introducing some slight early reflections on the drivers side pointing to the exterier...or you can attempt another method. It' won't be easy though and I doubt you have the room for it in a VW.

Comment

C'mon durwood. You know I know that . I know you know I already told you about my buddies car that I'll hopefully get to build using that, special, method.

Comment

hehehe I know I know, just stating it again for anyone else that might come across it.

I think I finally found a way to implement in my car. Now I have to test it. Then actually do it right and make it look pretty.

Comment

Jan, since you decided to not pursue this, I hope you don't mind going OT a little farther.

I've already found a way, but not in the VW. In a 94 aura Legend. It's a buddies and all it needs is brakes and I can tear into it. unfortunately for me to take it on, I have to get rid of my 85 GTI, which also needs brakes... HAH

Check this out. The top MDF is the normal level for the dash. The bottom level is the cross-member. There's a good 6-7 inches between them. It is completely flat left to right on the cross-member. I would remove the HVAC and mount a subwoofer in it's location, then possible install speaker pods on something similar to track light... track for adjustability. Perfect location for ambiophonics. I already have all the parts, literally, for a second carputer (just found out my x-mystique works with asio4all... go figure) and the gauges could easily be relocated to the center-console.

Comment

If we ever decide to go trailer queen for the GTi, we'l be pulling the dash, no questions.

There's no way I would drive that car without the 3" steel cross-member that's in the dash being there. If for some odd reason, someone were to plow into you, without that cross member, you're screwed. Not to mention not having at least front impact air bags isn't so cool either.

We put over 20k miles on the GTi last year just going to shows across the country...

If, by some miracle, we come up with about $60k for a new truck and trailer, then and only then will we consider ripping the dash out...until then....we can only dream...BIG!

I'd love to be able to do away with the dash....there's only so much you can do with a full dash in the car. We're kinda at that limit now, but we'll work with it.

Looks like a pretty cool project there!
                              Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                              X