Options for Tuning Via PC (cheating)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options for Tuning Via PC (cheating)

Another possible way I could see being able to tune, via the PC, would be to have the PC control the electronics, such as the crossover, etc. I know this isn't the PC doing the work, but it would be another graphical option to remotely control the tuning.

Are there any products out there that offer a USB/Serial/Parallel/IDEetc connection to use via the PC, for external processing?

Behringer DCX2496
    Behringer DEQ2496
    BSS Audio Sounweb 9088iis
    dbx Driverack 480 - Forums
    Peavey VSX-48
    PPI DCX-730 pdf
    Rane RPM26z
    Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.1
    Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2
    Zapco DSP-6
    Play with it, 'til it's broke.

That is how my set up is now, until i figure a way to do it with just the computer.. I use a Zapco DSP-6.

Zapco DSP-6
    Zapco DC series Amps with built in DSP
    Alpine PXI-H900
    Alpine PXE-H650
    Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2
    Sony XDP4000X

Pro type gear
    Driverack
    Rane RPM26 and other Dragnet systems
    Behringer 2496

I ma sure there are plenty more I am missing.
    Ours is the age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of men who try to.

ZAPCO DSP-6
    ARCAUDIO SE Amps
    Rainbow Profi CS365 & Profi Vanadium 12"

Comment

AltoMobile may also have PC controllable processors.

Comment

I try to subscribe along the lines of Mapleshade Records philosophy...
        "No mixing boards, no overdubs, no noise reduction, no multitracks, no compression, no EQ, no reverb,..."

But I can respect the whole DSP thing...
        I might measure and adjust the frequency range of my 'listening space' with an EQ, cause the inside of a car travelling down the highway
        isn't the best listening environment...

Comment

well, my way of cheating, tuning on the pc without actually tuning on the pc is with a dbx driverack 480... really sweet setup, i haven't installed it yet, but probably will soon.... I like the idea of a stand alone computer doing the job,. which is what most processors are really...

that thing, fed by an apogee mini dac should be one sick pc based & controlled system... ok, not actually processed on the pc itself, but that doesn't bother me one bit
          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by WuNgUn View Post
            I try to subscribe along the lines of Mapleshade Records philosophy...
            "No mixing boards, no overdubs, no noise reduction, no multitracks, no compression, no EQ, no reverb,..."

But I can respect the whole DSP thing...
            I might measure and adjust the frequency range of my 'listening space' with an EQ, cause the inside of a car travelling down the highway
            isn't the best listening environment...
            Sorry to tell you that the 7.1 set up you are trying to build......yeah.......... it is DSP that divides the 7+1 channels up, digital crossovers and delay and all..

As is any Volume control based in your computer..

You want the Mapleshade way, use One Deck, One Stereo Amp, and all passive crossovers....
            Ours is the age that is proud of machines that think and suspicious of men who try to.

ZAPCO DSP-6
            ARCAUDIO SE Amps

Comment

the mapleshade way sounds like it has no place in a car anyway, might be ok for an acoustically treated room or a studio, the car just does way to much damage to even think about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix509 View Post
                Sorry to tell you that the 7.1 set up you are trying to build......yeah.......... it is DSP that divides the 7+1 channels up, digital crossovers and delay and all..

As is any Volume control based in your computer..

You want the Mapleshade way, use One Deck, One Stereo Amp, and all passive crossovers....
                I thought we were talking about music in this thread?

All my music is wma lossless, compared against AccurateRip database for extraction accuracy, and "processed" thru the soundcard in much the same way a CD player processes it...
                I was refering to extra signal proccessing, digital or otherwise, post-soundcard, whether it be delay shifted or image shifted positional sound enhancement, EQ'd or normailized, volume balanced or effects added...

I think your talking about up-mixing 2 channel audio into 7.1...I won't be doing that...

I won't be running optical or coax out into an external decoder either...
                Digital lossless, converted to analogue, outputed to amps, and sent out to the speakers at full range using passive crossovers on all the main channels...

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post
                  the mapleshade way sounds like it has no place in a car anyway, might be ok for an acoustically treated room or a studio, the car just does way to much damage to even think about that.
                  Have a listen to some of their studio recordings, either at home OR in the car...(and I'm not talking about ripped MP3 copies)
                  Doesn't matter where you listen to it...it's pure, clean, unaltered music, and I think we can all appreciate that.

Comment

Originally posted by WuNgUn View Post
                    Have a listen to some of their studio recordings, either at home OR in the car...(and I'm not talking about ripped MP3 copies)
                    Doesn't matter where you listen to it...it's pure, clean, unaltered music, and I think we can all appreciate that.

I will agree with you on Mapleshade being great recordings.. I have also bought some of their Audio products to try..

Now, Back to Topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZAPCO DSP-6
                    ARCAUDIO SE Amps

Comment

ok, back to topic, but I think you missunderstood what I ment. I have no doubt or questioning of mapletree's recordings, I'm sure there awesome, I more ment that in a car processing is 100% necissary, & that method of no processing is not good for a car.

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post
                        ok, back to topic, but I think you missunderstood what I ment. I have no doubt or questioning of mapletree's recordings, I'm sure there awesome, I more ment that in a car processing is 100% necissary, & that method of no processing is not good for a car.
                        We are definately on the same page, Got to have precessing and I will opt for all digital processing here.. I would like to see some of the legendary cars from Speakerworks and others in the 80's early 90's face to face with todays cars with powerful DSPs..

If the old ones do sound as good, they did it at 10 times the cost and 20 times the time trying different speaker locations etc...

ZAPCO DSP-6
                        ARCAUDIO SE Amps

Comment

I don't think the ranes & the eqt's of then could keep up with the processing power of today, but then again I do think they were enough to get the job done too... would be an interesting comparison... I think it's more like drag racing, the early great ones were great for there time, but through technology , the best of yesterday is almost easily surpassed today.

Comment

Just for reference, here's a list of the available dbx products which can be PC-controlled:

220i
                            ZonePRO
                            Quantum II

I also checked with AudioControl, just for shiz n giggles, and they offer nothing PC-controlled.

Comment

If I go the DCX2496 route, will I lose the ability to use my DSATX Brainstem?

Comment

Working...
                              X