Audio Diagram.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio Diagram.

ok i think i have this thing figured out. after a couple days of searching i have decided on the onkyo se-90pci sound card. it seems to have good construction/reviews, is low profile, and supplies l/r rca outs. the line driver i bought prior to deciding on building a car pc just happens to have a 2 in/6 out setting. so heres what i'm thinking:

any thoughts?

hmmm... geuss 3500 worth of top of the line gear isnt high end enough. anybody care to comment from a sq pov?

Comment

I read your post yesterday, and it's all great stuff (better than I have BTW).

But IMO car audio SQ at that level is mostly about install/tuning. Show it to me in-car with some graphs from a calibrated mic on system response, then you'll get some feedback (probably more than you want )..

Comment

i don't plan on going to far into tuning (running passive) and the install will be pretty basic (VERY well deadened, woofer in stock location, tweet in kicks, sub in proper ib install i.e. trunk welded and sealed off). the idea is to have a great sounding simple install.

Comment

oh btw, what i'm most concerned about is the onkyo sound card. everything else i know/can figure out.

Comment

Sorry no offense by moving your post(s). Maybe my definition of "high-end" in the carpc world is different. To me I expect to see more advanced topics of discussion that merge carpc and electronics/processing/acoustics.

I saw a basic question asking about a soundcard/hardware and if it fits your goals then go for it. If you don't need a line in on the card perhaps a "USB DAC" might be another route if you are looking for a purist/simplistic approach.
            System always under construction

Comment

I'd probably look into the usb dac's in your instance since you're doing all of your x-over after the soundcard. another option, if you want to expandability is to go with the behringer 2496
              New System in progress:
              M10k
              Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
              Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
              Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
              Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
              Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
              My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

i checked out some of the behringer gear per your suggestion and i do like it, but i dont want to run another power inverter (my electrical is already complicated enough).

what makes a usb dac better than the dac built into the onkyo card?

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKonBLACK98 View Post
                  i checked out some of the behringer gear per your suggestion and i do like it, but i dont want to run another power inverter (my electrical is already complicated enough).

what makes a usb dac better than the dac built into the onkyo card?
                  unmolested signal mailnly. higher voltage outputs too
                  New System in progress:
                  M10k
                  Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                  My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

cay you explain what you mean by "molest the signal"?

just by comparing specs (which i loosely understand when applied to sound characteristics) the onkyo card has a high s:n, 24b dac, and high sampling rate (up to 192kHz).

*edit - the voltage isn't a huge issue as the ssld6 has a 1:4.5v ratio (13v peak).

Comment

sometimes a soundcard can add some dsp effects or some internal sampling conversion
                      New System in progress:
                      M10k
                      Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                      My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKonBLACK98
                        i figured thats what the deal was but high end /= advanced tuning.
                        Point noted, I'll move it back. Be really, two channel analog out of a PC is pretty boring. If I were to subscribe to the $$$ spent on equipment = high-end then that is a poor definition as well.

BTW, onkyo SE-90 is the best you can do for "high-end"? I can rattle off a handfull of cards that will cost lots of $$$ compared to that.

I'm just messing with you so please don't take offense, but seriously if you want the ultimate in 2 channel analog out, the Onkyo goes about mid level.

Comment

no offense taken. i went through every manufacturer site and every product listed trying to find something that looked like what i needed. this is my first voyage into higher end audio as well as my first into pc building so i wanted to keep it simple. when i was designing my system i spent months going through all kinds of set ups and gear and ended up deciding on quality gear in a simple configuration. this card seemed to go with that theme.

i ordered the onkyo card yesteday, although i'm not sure that the place still has it available. i'd be interested to hear of some other cards or even extrenal devices that fit the bill. only requirments i have are:

2 channel analog out
                          no external power supply
                          low profile card
                          bells and whistles kept to a minimum preferably

Comment

The low profile kills the list, but this is why it is important to have an idea/features of what you need. It makes the selection much quicker and easier. Not many people realize that.

The only other card that I'm not sure if you saw:

Audiotrak Prodigy HD2

There was a list of DACs here too, but no worries. Your choice is a good one. No reason to have buyers remorse.

Comment

i did see it (i know because the google link was purple) but i dont know why it didn't click as a contender. probably the result of my cram session.

i will keep it in mind should my onkyo purchse not go through.

Comment

Working...
                              X