Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anything comparable to the alpine f#1 status?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anything comparable to the alpine f#1 status?

As the thread title says Is there a system out there that compared in options and SQ? I'm looking for something, to work off a carputer. Any ideas?

Audison Bit1, Zapco DSP, and ultimate Grail - Pioneer ODR processor(requires A90 controler to get it working)

Comment

Hmm looks like the audison isnt for sale yet...

And how would you get he ODR's to work properly? (i assume you mean using an ODR amp?)

The reason i am asking is that i am extremely interested in getting the best audio out of a carputer, and it seems like it could be possible if done right.

Comment

Originally posted by somelikeitfast View Post
        Hmm looks like the audison isnt for sale yet...

And how would you get he ODR's to work properly? (i assume you mean using an ODR amp?)

The reason i am asking is that i am extremely interested in getting the best audio out of a carputer, and it seems like it could be possible if done right.
        Remember, your SQ is only going to be as good as your weakest link.
        What are you running for a sound card?
        Active or passive crossover?
        DSP?
        What kinda speaker arrangement are you using? 2-way? 3-way? Location?
        What about cabling? Speakers wire? Interconnects? RCA's?

Whatever your feeding your amp, ANY amp, is going to get amplified, whether it music or noise or whatever...

As far as amps go, you can do much better than the Alpine. TRU is a fav of mine...Zapco is very nice as well...

Comment

I am still in the planning stages at this point, i just do not want to have to feel the burn of 'experimentation" if the data is to be had before hand.

Comment

I've desired to have the best SQ I can afford in my setup, and I think I've done pretty well...
            Maybe I can be of some inspiration?

The amps...TRU T4.65's...4 channels (4 drivers + 4 tweeter...sub is handled by 2 channel Alpine under the seat)

Pioneer Premiere PRS 6.5 + tweeter (AWESOME mid-bass performance)

Single, Aurasound 10" sub

Enclosure:

Yeah, it's liquid cooled with TWO Asus Xonar sound cards...

AudioMulch to handle crossover and other DSP

Handmade VenHaus speaker wire

Handmade interconnects with chassis mounted, gold plated RCA's...(Monster THX certified wire, Nakamichi solderless RCA's and Neutrik, gold plated 1/8" jacks)

Comment

so stupid noob question...

why two sound cards?

You processing two audio streams for sub mid/highs?

Comment

left and right channels or front and back?
                Um, I guess this is where you put something witty.WITTY

My Web site, in the design stage. http://home.comcast.net/~cstrachn

Modified RRSkinEditor http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65723

Comment

Originally posted by somelikeitfast View Post
                  so stupid noob question...

why two sound cards?

You processing two audio streams for sub mid/highs?
                  Subs, mids, highs and another pair of outputs for a pair of VU meters up front...
                  Remember, I'm running active crossover, so I need a seperate high channel and a seperate low channel...
                  And I have 4 drivers and 4 tweeters...that's 8 channels right there, or one 7.1 sound card...
                  And still another 3 channels for the rest...

Basically, forget about L/R channels in my situation...instead, each L/R channel (or jack on the sound card) is a high/low now...
                  I configured it so there is a sound card for all the left channels and a sound card for all the right channels...
                  Same with the amp layout...one for the driver and one for the passenger...everything is split down the middle.

And for the leftovers, one card outputs to the sub, the other the VU meters...

That leaves me with 2 spare channels...maybe a center channel, 5.1 or 7.1 setup in the future? Dunno...

The PRS speaker set are very nice, but the active crossover it comes with leaves something to be desired...
                  With active x-over, I can tune it for the best sound, and it's easily adjustable...
                  Also, this give finer control over delay as well, and I have several configurations just for delay settings...
                  i.e. delay for the driver, delay for the passenger, front/center delay amd a rear/center delay...
                  I wouldn't have it any other way!

Comment

Nice setup! What's with the liquid cooling though? Live in a extermely hot climate or computing algorithms for NASA?

I guess you wanted all tuning to be done from computer instead of an external audio procesor?

Comment

Yeah pretty slick setup, it seems that most folks are running windows...

(im a *nix dweeb)

Audio software is a bit lacking in *nix land, (tho good things have happened the last 4 years or so).

Looks like i have a ton of research ahead of me

Comment

Originally posted by volum3rider View Post
                        Nice setup! What's with the liquid cooling though? Live in a extermely hot climate or computing algorithms for NASA?

I guess you wanted all tuning to be done from computer instead of an external audio procesor?
                        Yeah, for sure...I'd use an external DSP if I was using a typical HU/amp setup, but since I'm already running a computer, well...
                        Just the best solution, and cost effective, and more versitile...

I went H2O cooling on my home PC well before this, and like it...and for the Car, I think it's even more practical...and just look at it! lol

Comment

Originally posted by UnrealTker View Post
                          As the thread title says Is there a system out there that compared in options and SQ? I'm looking for something, to work off a carputer. Any ideas?
                          Behringer DCX2496:
                          - quality DAC
                          - digital crossovers 1st-8th order
                          - time alignment
                          - digital EQ
                          - phase correction
                          - 6 channels
                          - can control all that with a PC interface if you want

SG

Comment

OK, I see some screen names that look familiar (DIY Mobile Audio). Guys, I'm a newb to car pc. I've looked into it multiple times but just never pulled the trigger...

Here's the deal. I need something to do 5.1 Dolby PL II decoding at Alpine PXA-H900 SQ levels (SNR & THD). What would you recommend in terms of motherboard and sound card.

System Components
                            Stock HU w Navi
                            JL Audio Cleansweep
                            Alpine VPA-B222 Vehicle Hub Pro
                            Alpine DVD changer
                            IPOD
                            Alpine touchscreen
                            Behringer DCX2496 (with 12v mod)
                            2 Alpine PDX 4.150
                            1 Alpine 1.1000
                            4 B&C 8NDL51
                            3 B&C DE250
                            2 B&C 6MD38

Comment

I posted this earlier but it seems to have vanished

I see a lot of user names that I recognize from DIY Mobile Audio... Guys, I have a question. I have been using an H701 as a 5.1 Dolby PL II decoder. The 701 sux and is going into the wifes ride. H900s are rare and costly. What can I build that will do the decoding with excellent SQ (great SNR and low THD and high automotive noise immunity)?

I am considering the following:
                              Intel BLKD945GCLF2 Mini-ITX Motherboard with Integrated Atom™ Processor
                              M3-ATX 125 Watt - Smart Automotive Power Supply
                              VoomPC-2 CarPC Enclosure
                              Panasonic Slot Load CW-8124 DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive 24x24x24
                              Major Brand 250GB 2.5" SATA Hard Drive
                              2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz, PC2-6400 RAM
                              Xonar D2/PM

Questions:
                              What software do I need?
                              I am looking to find a USB WiFi device. Any ideas?
                              Did I miss something?

One last thing...
                              I would like to use my laptop and remote dekstop functionality to control the Car PC and my Behringer DCX2496. Any downfalls?

Comment

Working...
                              X