LF: OBD2 - Import - "Build your own kit"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LF: OBD2 - Import - "Build your own kit"

Has anybody found an OBD2 to PC serial adapter kit (ie. the you-solder type) ?? I'm looking for a REALLY cheap OBD2-to-serial adapter
    -James-

Tech tips and more - http://www.techguys.ca

*NIX command for today: rm -rf /bin/laden

Join the club. I just want to be able to read speed, rpm, maybe oil or fuel levels etc. There arent any decent circuit diagrams out there!
    loply

Comment

yeah I would love to have one too... now that I've got a xenarc and I'll have a *****'n display if I can find a decent interface I could make some kick *** monitoring program.... mind you this has to be ODB-II that will work with a BMW M3

-ryan
      -- WireSix, Inc. --
      MP3Car Lives Here!

Comment

Looks like you can get a chip that does all the heavy lifting for $32 from Alex Peper... details here. It should be relatively trivial to add the support electronics. Perhaps one more clever than myself could design a PCB we could have produced. We could wind up with a little kit. Alex even offers quantity discounts on the chip; maybe a group buy? I'm interested.

Comment

I found a chip from http://www.elmelectronics.com/

It looks like it will be easy to connect...but ya probably have to roll your own custom display solution

Comment

what about OBD1? I haven't seen any connectors or programs for OBD1. is OBD1 just completly differnt? I have a 90' Acura Legend and I would love to be able to monitor my engine from my TFT.
            sv24, 733mhz celeron, 80gig hd, 5.6" MA Audio tft, x10 remote, RF Keyboard.

Comment

Hmm .. doesn't look too difficult with the chipsets above .. I'll keep searching to see if there is a more direct (perhaps, raw) interface ..
              -James-

Tech tips and more - http://www.techguys.ca

*NIX command for today: rm -rf /bin/laden

Comment

I posted a pic of a schematic for an ALDL-serial converter for my OBDI Syclone a while back. Not sure if all ODBI stuff is the same or what, but it works for me with $8 in parts. Do a search in this forum for ALDL and you should find it. My whole reason for a carputer is to run DataMaster...

Comment

search for LT1 or LS1 F,Y and B body sites there are a bunch of people that can "read" a OBDII PCM but only afew out there that have mastered programing,

DataMaster
                  LT1 edit
                  AKM electronics
                  If you come out talking sh1t don't try to turn around and wipe you azz.

Comment

Oh, I think I can program with the best of them. If I can figure out how to make (or where to buy) a low-cost hardware interface, I'll happily write all the code required (and share it with anyone who wants it).

Comment

auto tap
                      my ride my team

2001 Civic EX- lowered, 18", NOS
                      12.1"touchscreen, gps, dvd, tv, fm
                      NO RADIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by InvisiBill
                        I posted a pic of a schematic for an ALDL-serial converter for my OBDI Syclone a while back. Not sure if all ODBI stuff is the same or what, but it works for me with $8 in parts. Do a search in this forum for ALDL and you should find it. My whole reason for a carputer is to run DataMaster...
                        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...?threadid=9000 is the thread I was referring to...

Comment

I just got my OBD-II scan tool from Alex at www.obd-ii.com I got the Tricom which is the probably the best one they got. It works with my 97 Tacoma. Its got a digital dash display with 2 big guages and 4 smaller gauges. All 6 guages are configurable to display anything your car can send to the OBD-II port. I only plug it to test it once cuz im still putting my system together. I was able to display RPM, MPH, engine load, Air intake temp. I only messed with it for about 10 minutes. The fastest update time is 1 second. I hope the new software cuts down the update time to quarter second or at least half second. Anyway I really think it's worth the 183 I spent.

http://www.obd-2.com/dashg.htm

I was considering the scanner from www.autotap.com but their enhanced all in one scanner is $490. If you have an LS1 engine, their system works with the EFIlive which has a bad *** virtual dash display.
                          NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
                          If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by cproaudio
                            I just got my OBD-II scan tool from Alex at www.obd-ii.com
                            oops its www.odb-2.com
                            NEW complete and updated My project with 100+ pics on 7-4-03
                            If you have a Shuttle FV24 motherboard in perfect working condition for sale, please PM me.

Comment

Hi:

I made my OBD-II interface on the basis of this schematics:

http://www.planetfall.com/~jeff/obdii/

It has been working perfectly for months...

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                              X