Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elm327 Serial to Laptop USB

Hey, my first post!

Just bought (not arrived yet) a Elm327 OBD-II, serial version. Laptop is usb only. Is a simple serial to usb adapter all I need? (could it really be that simple?)
    The free software I've DLed is serial only so guess I'll need one that also recognizes usb ports.
    Any Recommendations?

Originally posted by MrFrost View Post
    Hey, my first post!

Just bought (not arrived yet) a Elm327 OBD-II, serial version. Laptop is usb only. Is a simple serial to usb adapter all I need? (could it really be that simple?)
    The free software I've DLed is serial only so guess I'll need one that also recognizes usb ports.
    Any Recommendations?
    You can buy serial to usb adaptors that show the usb as a serial port. Unsure if it will work in your case, but there's a pretty good chance it will. Look on eBay, they're cheap.

Comment

hardware solution

Originally posted by MrFrost View Post
      Hey, my first post!

Any Recommendations?
      As you say, a simple USB to serial adapter will get the signal into your PC. It will come with its own drivers that make the PC recognize the serial device as a standard com port. No other software will be needed.
      ~Jimmy

Comment

Thank you both, very much!

Comment

Downloaded and installed Huge Pine USB to UART driver and plugged in my 2 dollar adapter.
          It's all 5 by 5!
          Thanks Again.

Comment

Driver Needed

can anyone please send me the driver for the Huge pine usb to serial comm port driver for windows vista 64 bit

Comment

Windows Vista 64

Your the first person that is using windows vista 64 bit for scanning car computers.

Good Luck!

Comment

ELM 327 usb serial

Why didn't you buy an ELM327 USB version. You can get both serial and USB versions.
                All you do then is use the default WinXP or Vista driver and it works fine.
                Had a USB version for a week now and seems fine.
                I keep trying to find cars with different protocols just to test it out.

Comment

Cyborg,
                  Since you have a working system. I just want to get the same one you have to avoid compatibility issues. Can you tell me what s/w you use with the ELM327 USB.

Comment

Camy990,

I've been using Vista Home Premium on a laptop. I've used ProScan 5.1 and ScanTool.net.
                    Both work well. Versions of VAG-COM above 409.1 need a dongled interface and I couldnt as yet get it to work. There are alot of other free tools out there if you look. Vista installed its default drivers for the USB ELM and worked first time. I've installed it on an XP Pro desktop aswell and that used its default drivers. If you test your setup it wont find the interface untill you plug it into a car and turn the ignition or start it, also make sure the caris OBD compliant. After 2004 diesel after 1996 petrol I think.

If theres any other questions get back to me.

Comment

Appreciate for your help Cyborg. The ElmScan 5 USB ScanXL model at scantool.net should have more than what I need.
                      I'm using a laptop with xp home OS and PIII processor, hope it works. Will find out soon.

Comment

Why you shouldn't buy ELM327 clones

Why you shouldn't buy ELM327 clones

Summary: The cheap Chinese PC-based scan tools that are sold under the "ELM327" name on eBay, are not the real thing. They're using the same PIC chip that the real ELM327 is based on, but the firmware is buggy and generally supports only two protocols: CAN and ISO (very very marginally).

How do you know?

I work for ScanTool.net, and we routinely buy and test competing PC-based scan tools. The only competitor that uses the genuine ELM327 chip is Obd2AllInOne. By the way, despite the inferior quality of their product and technical support, we price match their tools.

Aren't you biased?

Sure I am. Doesn't make what I say any less true.

Best regards,

Vitaliy
                        OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
                        Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

Comment

Do me one for $12 US (plus P&H) and we will talk.
                          Deathstar Worklog

Comment

You get what you pay for

soyfish,

We're constantly working on reducing the cost and increasing the capabilities of our hardware (it helps that we're selling more scan tools than anyone else -- economy of scale), however the old saying "you get what you pay for" still applies.

Sure, the ELM327 clones work fine on some cars. But what do you do when you get the scan tool in the mail and it refuses to connect (a virtual guarantee if you have a Ford or a GM)? I imagine that shipping the scan tool back to Hong Kong is bound to be a bit of a hassle.

Re: $12 for a scan tool, it's not enough even to cover the cost of materials, not to mention labor and technical support. So they make up for the loss in the "S&H" part (~$30, last time I checked). One of the reasons they do that is to reduce your incentive to return the scan tool -- if you do, you only get the $12, and you pay for shipping both ways.

Vitaliy
                            OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
                            Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

Comment

There are faulty ELM327 clones and then there are clones that work well, I have yet to run into a single user that has had problems running the OBDPro with their OBD II compliant vehicle.

In fact our OBD II interface is guaranteed to work with all 1996 and above compliant vehicles and we stand behind our product by offering a full 1 year warranty and a 30 day return policy, as well as offering prompt phone and email support if people have problems installing software etc.

There is no reason why if someone implements the OBD II protocols correctly the scantool would not work, infact there are a number of products on the market from companies as varied as Snapon to DrewTech that offer exactly what an ELM327 can do so I am not sure how anyone can make a blanket statement on how clones are bad....

Sure some folks on Ebay are extremely unethical when they take an ELM chip steal the code and burn their own micro but at the same time there are honest folks who work hard and develop products that create competition in the free marketplace which is always good for the end user...

Well sorry for the long winded message back to the normally scheduled OBD II discussions :-)

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X