Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CHEAP $15 OBD-II scanner!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CHEAP $15 OBD-II scanner!

    check out this from hackaday: http://www.hackaday.com/2007/11/07/i...d-2-interface/

    some guy built his own OBD-II scanner and shows you the basics on how to build it, or he can ship you a development board for around $6 (you still have to assemble however.)

  • #2
    Cool...looks like you need to program the PIC though...

    Comment


    • #3
      well you could if you want to, the software is available on the website above, but the gentleman is kind enough to offer pre programed chips also. i think its 8 dollars.

      Comment


      • #4
        very interesting - it is actually http://www.obddiag.net/index.html . The website details everything very well. Should be very easy to get one up and running pretty quickly!

        I wonder what the difference is between this and a typical $100 ELM type OBD2 reader ?

        I am also curious what the refresh rate of this reader is ? Looks promising...

        Comment


        • #5
          I ordered one of these from this guy and it works great on most of the protocols. It is quick and accurate with all of the software he has linked on his site. I even tried it with some other software and it works. If anyone has specific questions about it I will try to answer.
          The Car 2005 Scion xB

          The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by fixerofallthing View Post
            I ordered one of these from this guy and it works great on most of the protocols. It is quick and accurate with all of the software he has linked on his site. I even tried it with some other software and it works. If anyone has specific questions about it I will try to answer.
            Does the kit include the OBD2 adapter or it is separate you have to order from mouser/digikey?
            I guess you have to email him for order cuz I can't find an order link.
            2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
            89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
            Y2K Accord Dell GX150
            RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
            EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by fixerofallthing View Post
              If anyone has specific questions about it I will try to answer.
              I just want to know what speed (refresh rate) are you getting ? i.e. if you are querying one sensor then how many times per second(Hz) does it refresh ?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MatrixPC View Post
                Does the kit include the OBD2 adapter or it is separate you have to order from mouser/digikey?
                I guess you have to email him for order cuz I can't find an order link.
                I had to order the cable seperate. From the link on his site. I have been emailing him for quite awhile and when he was ready to sell the kit he emailed me to announce the availability.
                The Car 2005 Scion xB

                The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by It's A Honda View Post
                  I just want to know what speed (refresh rate) are you getting ? i.e. if you are querying one sensor then how many times per second(Hz) does it refresh ?
                  The different software allows you to query single or multiple PIDS. The fewer the PIDS the faster the refresh. If only one PID is selected then it is so fast it looks like real time changes, especially if you are looking at a PID that is easy to change like the TPS or RPM.
                  The Car 2005 Scion xB

                  The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    its encouraging to know that it is fast but would you be able to give me an approximate number in hertz "Hz" or times per second ? You could give me an idea for either one pid or several pids.
                    The thing is that I already have an interface and I need to log 4 pids at a time to make a timing map, and that interface doesn't refresh that fast, so the information you can provide will really help me determine if it would be worth the effort to go after this one or not.
                    Thanks!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by It's A Honda View Post
                      its encouraging to know that it is fast but would you be able to give me an approximate number in hertz "Hz" or times per second ? You could give me an idea for either one pid or several pids.
                      The thing is that I already have an interface and I need to log 4 pids at a time to make a timing map, and that interface doesn't refresh that fast, so the information you can provide will really help me determine if it would be worth the effort to go after this one or not.
                      Thanks!
                      I will get a screen capture tomorrow while I am at the shop.
                      The Car 2005 Scion xB

                      The Truck 2004 GMC Canyon

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks, will be waiting eagerly for whatever info you can provide in this respect.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I wonder if he will come out with a elm327 version

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mstbone67a View Post
                            I wonder if he will come out with a elm327 version
                            Please find it at http://www.obddiag.net/multiadapter.html

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well not completely ELM327 since it's missing the CAN protocols I am sure he will get those added soon I imagine.

                              Moreover kit's priced at $ 40 plus add time of building it plus cables plus enclosures etc will put you in the ballpark of other ELM solutions.

                              I agree that for the adventurous and electronics hobbiest it would be a good project to work on and having more options is always good...

                              Mike

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X