Mongoose questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mongoose questions

I had some questions. I have searched and came up with nothing.

What kind of microcontroller is the mongoose based on?

Is there a version of mongoose in the works that supports all protocols like the Mobydic & Elm?

Can you use mongoose to remap fuel / timing tables etc?

Thanks a bunch.

Originally posted by types9 View Post
    I had some questions. I have searched and came up with nothing.
    I participate on this forum, but feel free to email or call tech support too. If you're (un?)lucky you'll have me answering the phone!

What kind of microcontroller is the mongoose based on?
    It uses a AT91SAM7S. This is a fantastic processor that lets us communicate at full-speed 12mbps USB with lots of memory to buffer the OBD-II traffic in case windows decides to "go out to lunch" for a while. You know Microsoft...

Is there a version of mongoose in the works that supports all protocols like the Mobydic & Elm?
    There's always a tradeoff among performance, compatibility, and cost. With Mongoose we decided to make a high-performance, affordable SAE J2534 standard vehicle interface cable. Each cable supports CAN and one legacy protocol which seems reasonable to me since most people's next car will be CAN. Some tools do less at a lower cost, others do more at a higher cost, but I think Mongoose offers great overall price/performance.

The next two (big) announcements will be related to ECU flashing and CarPC software. I don't forsee us trying to duplicate the ones you mentioned. Our niche is usually high performance with good value.

Can you use mongoose to remap fuel / timing tables etc?
    Sure, the cables can flash an ECU and many automakers use J2534 tools to calibrate the motor. With all the auto industry layoffs, a lot of their internal software has leaking onto the internet especially Ford's ptdiag software. But you'd have to look around yourself since that's not something that I could help you find.

Comment

Thanks for the response.

I had another question. Currently what software packages out there support the mongoose aside from PCMScan. Im guessing any J2534 software but Im not familiar with any of them.

Regarding the ECU programming, is there any software that you are aware of, that isn't from the manufacturer, but rather 3rd party?

Thanks again.

Comment

If you are interested in programming against the vehicle (in .NET), you might find the Cardix programming model to be useful. It provides support for J2534 devices and comes with sample applications, one of which is a simple OBD data display utility ("ShowOBD").

More info at:
        http://ipsecostelematics.dnsalias.net/Cardix/

Comment

Working...
        X