Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something for Linux besides FreeDiag/ScanTool?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something for Linux besides FreeDiag/ScanTool?

Right now the plan is to use Suse in my carputer with a VM running XP or 2K and In Car PC to monitor my OBD2 port.

That sucks!

Is there a reasonably mature and stable package with a nice GUI for Linux? This has to impress customers, that's why I like In Car PC (for it's looks) and why I don't particularly like FreeDiag/ScanTool.

Then again, my navigation will be limited to the capabilities of GPSDrive unless I use a VM to run something like iGuidance for turn-by-turns (don't say roadnav to me ), so I may be stuck with a VM anyway (Feel free to suggest a Linux-based navigation program that's actually good at resolving turn-by-turns and solve that dilemma for me.).

Even so, I'd like the OBD2 monitoring to be done in the host, not the VM.

Is there anything (yet)?

TIA,

J

Why not just use Winblows until such time decent applications are available for Linux?

It makes life so much easier.
    F6 Tornado Project Log ; HP Blackbird Watercooled Server

Beta Tester for Centrafuse and 3dConnexion (No business affiliation with either)

Comment

Originally posted by mrbean_phillip View Post
      Why not just use Winblows until such time decent applications are available for Linux?

It makes life so much easier.
      Because this is my license plate:

http://litljay.com/plate

...and this will be on the spare tire cover:

http://litljay.com/toughtux

I wouldn't want to be a hypocrite!

Comment

Lol - good one.

Ah well, you have to hang tight for decent supporting apps for linux Your carputer should be up and running in, mayb, 3-4years then....rofl.

Seriously though, I luv linux, but having no/few supporting apps is crap, and hence the reason I am developing a XP Embedded image for my setup.

Good luck though, and keep us posted.

Btw, the image on the spare tyre-cover would look mean, nice choice!
        F6 Tornado Project Log ; HP Blackbird Watercooled Server

Beta Tester for Centrafuse and 3dConnexion (No business affiliation with either)

Comment

Maybe not so long! I just noticed a blurb in the GPSDrive FAQ commenting that turn-by-turn navigation may be on its way using NASA's OpenStreetMap system.

Cool!

Comment

Working...
          X