X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW 20pin > 16pin ODB Connection Problems

I recently purchased this BMW 20pin>16pin OBD conversion cable,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:MEWN:IT&ih=01

I cannot seem to connect to the cars ecu, it starts to connect but then fails and says unable to connect to protocol. The cars a 1998 BMW 523 with the 20pin under bonnet diagnostic connector.

Anyone have any ideas as i work as a self employed mechanic and wanted to use this to reset BMW's service/inspection lights and read fault codes etc. I've been very happy with how the ELM327 has been reading compatible 16pin OBD protocols.

I read that it was compatibile with BMW this is why i bought the adaptor cable.

Thanks!

I'm sure there are experts here who can tell you - but if you're still searching you can always check out bimmerfest (com) - I think it's pretty much the core place for BMW-specific info that tends to get service related.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by TLDevelopments View Post
      I recently purchased this BMW 20pin>16pin OBD conversion cable,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:MEWN:IT&ih=01

I cannot seem to connect to the cars ecu, it starts to connect but then fails and says unable to connect to protocol. The cars a 1998 BMW 523 with the 20pin under bonnet diagnostic connector.

Anyone have any ideas as i work as a self employed mechanic and wanted to use this to reset BMW's service/inspection lights and read fault codes etc. I've been very happy with how the ELM327 has been reading compatible 16pin OBD protocols.

I read that it was compatibile with BMW this is why i bought the adaptor cable.

Thanks!
      You can experience issues with scanners that search for protocol's and convertor cables such as this. I would suggest you look at getting a single protocol tool (ISO) or buy one of our handheld Peake Research tools that are designed for the job

Gareth
      UKOBD

Comment

Working...
      X