Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBD-II Noob enquiry

Hey guys,

Just finishing the beginning of my build, and I'm looking to go for some more advanced tweaking now, namely OBD displays etc.

But I don't know where to start with this. I assume I need an OBD conector to some form of PIC controller to the computer etc.

Can anyone recommend a good starting location?

My car is a 1998 Toyota Caldina GT-T
    Engine is a ST215 3SGTE (same as a Celica GT4 or MR2)

I'm currently running Centrafuse 1.2, so any diagnostics that plugin to that as well would be awesome

Cheers Guys.

Any ELM based interface should work. I personally use the OBDPros interface with Centrafuse.

You'll first want to check that your vehicle is OBD-II compliant although being a 1998 model, it should be. To verify, check the Vehicle Emissions Control Information (VECI) Label which is located under the hood or by the radiator of most vehicles. If the vehicle is OBD II compliant, the label will designate 'OBD II Certified'.
    I installed my carpc into my pet Kangaroo, mate.

Comment

Does OBDPros run off serial, or another attachment?
      And would you be able to recommend any specific ELM-based interfaces?

Cheers

Comment

You can get either serial or usb versions of the OBDPros interface from www.obdpros.com . It is a an ELM compatible module and has quite a number of features a lot of other dont (software changeable baud rates, multiple protocols etc).

Actually, I've just ordered an SSM cable (Specific for Subarus to get extra data), so if you're interested in taking mine send me a PM. It's a serial version, but I'm using a serial-usb adapter so you can use either.
        I installed my carpc into my pet Kangaroo, mate.

Comment

PM sent

Comment

I have one of the ELM serial interfaces from OBDpros, very nice piece of hardware
            "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
            RevFE
            My Shop

Comment

Working...
            X