Only DashCommand can connect to my OBDII device

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only DashCommand can connect to my OBDII device

I'm putting together my carPC system and am hoping to include OBD in there. My OBD device is supposed to be version 1.3 and compatible with the following protocols:

Code:
    SAE J1850 PWM (41.6 kbaud)
    SAE J1850 VPW (10.4 kbaud)
    ISO 9141-2 (5 baud init, 10.4 kbaud)
    ISO 14230-4 KWP (5 baud init, 10.4 kbaud)
    ISO 14230-4 KWP (fast init, 10.4 kbaud)
    ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID, 500 kbaud)
    ISO 15765-4 CAN (29 bit ID, 500 kbaud)
    ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID, 250 kbaud)
    ISO 15765-4 CAN (29 bit ID, 250 kbaud)
    SAE J1939
    My problem is that none of the OBDII programs I've found can read it besides DashCommand. Is there a way to see how DashCommand is connecting to the device so I can try those settings in other programs?

Also, the demo of DashCommand only displays RPM. From what I've read, that's either because the demo version limits me to seeing only RPM, or I need to download PCMSCAN and tweak the PIDs for my specific car. I saw both of those explanations posted but I didn't see a definitive yes or no on either of them.

Any help would be fantastic.
    1999 SVT Contour

Laminar,

You can use a serial port monitor to see what DashCommand is sending to the scan tool.

However, I'm pretty sure the problem is that most programs rely on the algorithm built into the ELM327; DashCommand has a more robust search algorithm, where it manually sets the protocol, sends a request, and looks for a response.

Vitaliy
    OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
    Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

Comment

Thanks for the info, any comments on the limitations of the DashCommand demo?
      1999 SVT Contour

Comment

Our DashCommand software will only allow you to view the Engine RPM until you purchase the full version. After you have a full license key, it will unlock all of the parameters available for your vehicle.

If you would like to see what parameters are supported by your vehicle, you can download our ScanXL software and it will be able to connect and validate the parameters without a license key. The PID Config tab in ScanXL shows you which parameters are supported by your vehicle.
        Brian @ Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc.
        http://www.palmerperformance.com

Comment

Fantastic, that's exactly what I needed to know.
          1999 SVT Contour

Comment

Working...
          X