No announcement yet.

Elmscan 5 USB Question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmscan 5 USB Question

Does anyone know if leaving the Elmscan 5 cable plugged into the car while the car is off will kill my battery? I have noticed that when I have it plugged in and turn the car off the power light still stays on. I just want to make sure I don't leave it plugged in and end up with a dead battery in the morning!

Thank you,

Well, I have one plugged in all the time ...
    - but I start the car every day.

I have read that people do have them connected all the time.
    Owen Brotherwood, Denmark

It seems like when the Elmscan isn't in use it uses very little power. It seems like the only thing on is the light. I haven't done a test to see how much power it actually uses, but I think you'll be fine.
      My Nearly Complete Car:

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)

And as a comment: if the ELM device is bluetooth, it can be it is discoverable also without the ignition off.
        I'll be investigating this latter
        Owen Brotherwood, Denmark

Thank you guys I will try it and see what happens!

I do not use the Elmscan, use HPTuners for scanning/logging/tuning - had a problem where if the device was plugged in and the car was not run for around 3 days the battery would be dead.......... added a relay to switch the OBD2 power line off if the ignition is off and all is well
            If anyone gives me a rev - I give them the Bird