OBD 2 support for car models

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBD 2 support for car models

Is there an organized list anywhere that will tell you what OBD2 sensors are available for your specific model? For example, my 2001 Hyundai Elantra will tell me my air intake temp but won't tell me my fuel pressure. Can I find out anywhere if my car is even supposed to give that data?

Thanks!

Here's a list of what a car may send: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs
    The keyword here is "may". It does not have to use everything from the list.
    However, anything that is not on the list will not be send out, nor will it be recognized by a scanner.
    In your case, even when there is a pid for fuel pressure, it does not mean that it is supported by the car. Most normal petrol injected cars do not have a fuel pressure sender, so the pressure is unknown to the ecu.

Comment

Is there a way to find out from the dealer or a specialized place which PID's my car should be sending? Basically i have a OB2 reader and I want to find out if it's working properly or if my car isn't sending out all the data.

Thanks.

Comment

Download pcmscan. Use the trial version and it will tell you what PID are comming out of your car. http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...scan/index.php
        Lilliput EBY701, M2-ATX, Intel 1.8 GHz, 1GB Ram, 160 GB 2.5 hard drive, Centrafuse, Garmin Mobile PC, GlobalSat BU-353.
        My 2000 Saturn SL2 Worklog

Comment

I don't have a car computer yet, this scan I'm doing is on the iPhone. Any chance someone who has a 01 elantra could run the scan? Or maybe somewhere its documented?

If not it sounds like a matrix someone could make up, would be a helpful resource.

Comment

What skeet2331 mentioned would work, another approach would be to download the Pid reader from http://www.glmsoftware.com/Downloads1.aspx and it will tell you the supported pids.

OR

If you are comfortable with a serial terminal like hyperterm etc you can send a 0100 to the device and post back what you get and I can tell you what PID's are supported

All of the above assume that you have an elm type OBD II reader.

Paul
            OBDPros scantool

Comment

The issue with what skeet said and with the Pid reader, they both seem to require a car PC, which I don't have yet. Im looking at the OBD II data on my iPhone. So that might be my roadblock, without a car computer I'll have to get a different device to read the Pid data.

Comment

Originally posted by optikalefx View Post
                The issue with what skeet said and with the Pid reader, they both seem to require a car PC, which I don't have yet. Im looking at the OBD II data on my iPhone. So that might be my roadblock, without a car computer I'll have to get a different device to read the Pid data.
                Keep searching the web. Maybe not for the iphone yet but there is OBDII software out there for the Palm Pilot. Can't remember which one sorry.

The matter of OBDI codes seems enormously complex. There are some generic standard codes and each manufacturer adds their own to these.
                RodW
                2007 Toyota Hilux with a CarPC..

Worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...ota-hilux.html
                OziExplorer GPS Embedded in RR: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/sb-s...iexplorer.html

Comment

Originally posted by optikalefx View Post
                  There's already an OBDII solution for the iPhone. REV is the name of it.
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I know, Thats what I'm testing.

Comment

OBDII software out there for the Palm Pilot
                      OBDGauge. Actually it's really cool, although the tool to extract the log from the .pdb file didn't work at all for me, but that's probably a[nother] 64-bit incompatability [grrr palm... grrr].

If you are comfortable with a serial terminal like hyperterm etc you can send a 0100 to the device and post back what you get and I can tell you what PID's are supported
                      Don't forget you need 0120 and 0140 too [although technically you need to check 0100 to make sure 0120 will work, and check 0120 to make sure 0140 will work... in practice, 0120 and 0140 will just throw errors if they're not available].

Although to be honest, there's just about nothing higher than 20 that anyone who isn't a software and hardware engineer cares about. Also, all the cool kids use minicom :-)

No, seriously, I've been reading OBD docs and writing OBD software all day.

Gary (-;
                      OBDGPSLogger, for logging OBDII and/or GPS data
                      OBDSim, an OBDII/ELM327 software simulator
                      mp3car forums: obdgpslogger, obdsim

Comment

Originally posted by chunkyks View Post
                        Although to be honest, there's just about nothing higher than 20 that anyone who isn't a software and hardware engineer cares about.
                        Depends on what type of Oxygen sensors the cars has. If they are wide-band sensors you would be very interested in pids 24-2B or 34-3B.

Comment

What skeet2331 mentioned would work, another approach would be to download the Pid reader from http://www.glmsoftware.com/Downloads1.aspx and it will tell you the supported pids.
                          I also just added support for this to obd gps logger.

Example output from my mini:
                          Code:
                          kibbles-2:obdgpslogger chunky$ ./bin/obdgpslogger -p
                          Opening serial port /dev/cu.OBDKeyPro-DevB-1, this can take a while
                          Successfully connected to serial port. Will log obd data
                          Your OBD Device claims to support PIDs:
                          01: Monitor status since DTCs cleared
                          03: Fuel system 1 and 2 status
                          04: Calculated LOAD Value
                          05: Engine Coolant Temperature
                          06: Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1
                          07: Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1
                          0B: Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure
                          0C: Engine RPM
                          0D: Vehicle Speed Sensor
                          0E: Ignition Timing Advance for #1 Cylinder
                          0F: Intake Air Temperature
                          10: Air Flow Rate from Mass Air Flow Sensor
                          11: Absolute Throttle Position
                          13: Location of Oxygen Sensors
                          15: Bank 1 - Sensor 2/Bank 1 - Sensor 2 Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage / Short Term Fuel Trim
                          1C: OBD requirements to which vehicle is designed
                          1F: Time Since Engine Start
                          20: PIDs supported 21-40
                          21: Distance Travelled While MIL is Activated
                          23: Fuel Rail Pressure (diesel)
                          2E: Commanded Evaporative Purge
                          2F: Fuel Level Input
                          30: Number of warm-ups since diagnostic trouble codes cleared
                          31: Distance since diagnostic trouble codes cleared
                          33: Barometric Pressure
                          34: Bank 1 - Sensor 1/Bank 1 - Sensor 1 (wide range O2S) Oxygen Sensors Equivalence Ratio (lambda) / Current
                          3C: Catalyst Temperature Bank 1 /  Sensor 1
                          40: PIDs supported 41-60
                          41: Monitor status this driving cycle
                          42: Control module voltage
                          43: Absolute Load Value
                          44: Commanded Equivalence Ratio
                          45: Relative Throttle Position
                          46: Ambient air temperature
                          47: Absolute Throttle Position B
                          49: Accelerator Pedal Position D
                          4A: Accelerator Pedal Position E
                          4C: Commanded Throttle Actuator Control
                          56: unknown
                          kibbles-2:obdgpslogger chunky$
                          Have fun,
                          Gary (-;

Comment

bus initalize fail

hi i have elm 327 circuit given in the data sheet of ic.i am getting error bus init error except for honda cars.why this is so????????

Comment

What specific cars is it failing in?

Comment

Working...
                              X