OBDII software that shows Vehicle Calibration ID

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBDII software that shows Vehicle Calibration ID

I am in a very desperate situation and I urgently need to verify the vehicle calibration id (or code) that is in use on the PCM I have installed in my vehicle. A new PCM was just installed, and I don't think its flashed right.

Is there any free program that anyone is "POSITIVE" shows me the VEHICLE CALIBRATION CODE in use in the PCM?

I'm getting like 6-8mpg and have been troubleshooting a MPG problem for over 2 years.

I don't know of any free software, but ScanMaster definitely supports it.

Do you have any kind of PC-based scan tool? You can request CalID manually (using a terminal), and we can help you decode it.
    OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
    Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

Comment

Our ScanXL software will show you the Calibration IDs for all OBD-II modules in the vehicle that report that information. It will also show you the CVN numbers from each of the modules.

If all you want is just the calibration numbers, our ScanXL software will show you that without you having to purchase a license for it. Just connect to the vehicle and go to the OBD-II Settings tab to view it.

You can download the latest version from here.
      Brian @ Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc.
      http://www.palmerperformance.com

Comment

You guys rock! I really can't tell you enough how much this helps me out. To be able to eliminate this as a possible culprit with my OWN eyes, instead of trusting the shop, is invaluable. I am in the middle of a 2 year long ordeal trying to get this vehicle right.

Thank you PPE for letting me know the trial version will give me that information. I'm downloading it now.

PPE - Does your company sell anything that produces diagnostics/analysis..... like that would do a summary review of a drive and then state the results and/or if there are any problems? Is something like that REALLY MEGA expensive?

Vitaliy - I'm an IT person, so I am interested in querying it manually too. Do I use telnet or something like that? What are the commands necessary? Assume I'm an advanced user, but explain what software method I would use.

Comment

OH, and I am using a scan tool "INTERFACE" that I bought for about $30 from Tokyo. It is an ELM device, but I do not know the version. I can tell you though it supports EOBD, OBD, CAN and says RoHs Compliant (OBDII) and it connects via USB. It is using a FTDI manufactured driver and says its at location "FT232R USB UART" in the device manager of Windows XP.

Comment

The 1995 3.8L Ford Windstar is OBDII compliant. When i load ScanXL the only option for connection is Generic OBDII, but this doesn't give me anything at all in the OBD settings tab for vehicle information. All it says is $10 Engine computer. I also tried setting it up for the 1996 Windstar and tried the various connection options "Ford Powertrain" etc... and I still am not getting ANY type of vehicle specific information such as calibration ID. HOW COME?

Comment

Originally posted by searcherrr View Post
              Vitaliy - I'm an IT person, so I am interested in querying it manually too. Do I use telnet or something like that? What are the commands necessary? Assume I'm an advanced user, but explain what software method I would use.
              Set up Hyperterminal for 38400 (or 9600 baud), then try:

ATSP0
              011C

If you bought an ElmScan 5, you could use STNFinder utility to find which port it's on, but for your interface you have to look in Device Manager/ports and see if you can guess which one it is.

Best regards,

Vitaliy
              OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
              Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

Comment

Vitaliy - I'm assuming that you want me to hit enter after every one of those numbers? correct?

Also, each of those alphanumerics is a command right?

These are the universal OBDII query commands that get me engine calibration ID?

Before I try this does it matter that the PCM is a 3rd party PCM?

Comment

Haven't used hyperterminal in ages, but i'm pretty sure i connected it right. it says its connected and i chose com4 cause thats what it is, but when i try to type anything in the white space window of hyperterminal no text appears. What am I missing here?

Comment

Hyperterminal has options to show what you type or not. A lot of chips have an echo feature which sends back whatever it received, you would want to turn that on. Don't know what the command is, but you'll want to find it and type it in first (without seeing what you wrote of course), and after that you should be able to see it
                    2001 Mustang Convertible Worklog
                    Indigo Custom Frontend (Flash/Delphi)
                    Blog

Qube v1.3 Now Available at the mp3Car Store!!!!!!
                    The simplest IO controller you'll ever use!

Comment

ok, Vitaliy - here's what I got from those commands (was able to do it using another OBD program):

ATZ ELM327 v1.3
                      ATE0 OK
                      >ATSP0 OK
                      >0100 SEARCHING...
                      >0100 41 0 BF 9F B9 80
                      >011C NO DATA
                      >0900 NO DATA
                      >0902 NO DATA
                      >0904 NO DATA

What does all that mean? HOw come NO DATA for all those? What does the one that looks like a mac address mean?

Comment

I have on a table EEC from European Ford Mondeo 2.5V6 (year 96) and it signals to me that it is only OBD I (one, not II). It is still protocol Ford PWM/SCP, but can not answer on many PIDs. Only very few pids is accessible. Not Lambda tests, ....
                        Is there any cheap soft solution for it ?
                        Tomas

Comment

Originally posted by searcherrr View Post
                          ok, Vitaliy - here's what I got from those commands (was able to do it using another OBD program):

ATZ ELM327 v1.3
                          ATE0 OK
                          >ATSP0 OK
                          >0100 SEARCHING...
                          >0100 41 0 BF 9F B9 80
                          >011C NO DATA
                          >0900 NO DATA
                          >0902 NO DATA
                          >0904 NO DATA

What does all that mean? HOw come NO DATA for all those? What does the one that looks like a mac address mean?
                          PID 00 reported the following PIDs as "supported": 01, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 0C, 0D, 0E, 0F, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 18, 19. That's a lot of PIDs, but 1C ("OBD system requirements") is not supported, meaning that the vehicle is not OBD-2 compliant.

Further, when you sent "0900" you asked the vehicle which infotypes (CalID, CVN, VIN, IPT, ECUNAME) are supported. It responded with "NO DATA", meaning that none are supported. So then, of course, you got "NO DATA" when you requested VIN and CALID (0902 and 0904).

So unfortunately, your Windstar is not OBD-2 compliant. Does it have a sticker under the hood, that says it is?

Vitaliy

Comment

It is OBDII compliant. I have had Autozone, myself, and others use OBDII code readers on it before.

The X variable here is that I have a 3rd party PCM installed and I'm wondering if because its not the OEM PCM if its lacking some typical data it should have. IE: CalID is necessary for proper engine functioning. For it not to be in there scares me.

I will look at the sticker for you, but I already know the 95 3.8L Windstar is OBD2.

I also recently have gotten "Vehicle Data Bus Corrupted" error msg while using the EasyOBDII program after going WOT and I got disconnected. I wonder if electrical gremlins are erasing PCM data?

In any case I will look for the OBD2 Compliance sticker. Wish I would've known to use these programs when I had my original PCM in.

EDIT: I also know for a fact that 1996 was the starting year for OBD2 compliance therefore "A COMPLIANCE STICKER" or certification may not have yet been available to any car maker..... yet Ford followed the OBDII standard in developing the 1995 3.8L Ford Windstar because it requires no special code reader. A generic plain featured "code reader only" with OBD2 compliance can read from this PCM.

Comment

Well, I don't know what the deal is really. A moderator in another forum has a sticky up saying ALL years Windstar are OBD2 compliant, but the sticker doesn't say it under my hood. I will look at the PINS tomorrow and see if ALL of them are there too. I found out thats another way to tell.

Still, again it responds to OBD2 programs/datalogger.

Comment

Working...
                              X