No announcement yet.

OBD 11 on a Smart ForTwo

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBD 11 on a Smart ForTwo

I have a Smart ForTwo, 2003, 700cc model. A few weeks ago the engine started to run on 2 cylinders and the dashboard management light came on.

I have done a few checks but want to see what caused the management light to show (still on) before going further. I suspect a piston ring at this stage as it is a common fault and the oil had run below minimum.

My problem is trying to get a diagnostic reader or software for my laptop that reads Smart. I have read that every car after 2001 in the UK has the same protocol but these Smarts may be a law to themselves. After all, you need to take off the rear bodywork to change the lower 3 spark plugs (there are 6)......

I do have a USB KKL lead (USB to OBD11) that I have used my VAG-COM software with but VAG-COM refuses to look at the Smart.

Can anyone help or even point me to a decent code reader for less than 100? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to mp3car. This forum (the obd2 forum in particular) is primarily for integrating on board diagnostics with car computers. If you have vehicle specific non-carpc related questions perhaps you will be better of checking a forum which deals with your car specifically. I would hate for you to wait around for an answer here, only to realize it could be better answered on a more appropriate forum.
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    My Shop

Does the diagnostic connector in you're car have pins 6 and pin 14?
      Then it is possible that it uses the Can protocol and not the K-line.
      Does it have pin 7 in the diagnostic connector?
      Then it is using the K-line but you need an EOBD/OBD2 scanner.
      I know the latest versions of Vag-com can also read EOBD/OBD2, which version do you have? And can it read EOBD/OBD2?