Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBDII Wifi Dongles?

All,

I'm looking to expand my OBDII dongle collection to include a wifi dongle, so's I can get obdgpslogger doing its thing with those too.

What are people's experiences with such dongles? Do you have any you specifically recommend? Which ones are most affordable?

As per usual with OBDII stuff, visiting google leaves me traversing a rabbit hole of unrelated things that tend to lead back to the same few pages in the end.

Gary (-;
    OBDGPSLogger, for logging OBDII and/or GPS data
    OBDSim, an OBDII/ELM327 software simulator
    mp3car forums: obdgpslogger, obdsim

PLX Kiwi WiFi is the best

http://plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/

The Kiwi WiFi from PLX Devices is the best on the market currently. It's the smallest and cheapest ($149) and has worked flawlessly for me. I've built mobile phone and desktop software around it, as it uses the ELM327 AT command set, making it simple to code for.

OBDKey (http://www.obdkey.com/wifi/index.asp?) also offers a WiFi dongle, but I found that the packaging was too long to be usable, as the case would stick out and hit my leg while driving.

Hope this helps.

-Mike

Comment

Hrm. I hadn't found the kiwiwifi.

I think that if 150 bucks is the cheapest at the moment, I'll hang on a while for the price to drop a bit. Probably just implement a network plugin for obdsim for the fun of it while I wait :-)

Gary (-;

Comment

Am I right in my understanding at a high-level that using the wifi key is as simple as
        1) {do wifi hoojery to make stuff able to talk to other stuff}
        2) telnet to relevant port on the dongle [port 23, in the case of obdkey?]
        3) Talk normal elm327

?

Gary (-;

Comment

Am I right in my understanding at a high-level that using the wifi key is as simple as
          1) {do wifi hoojery to make stuff able to talk to other stuff}
          2) telnet to relevant port on the dongle [port 23, in the case of obdkey?]
          3) Talk normal elm327

More or less, yes, for most of the WiFi devices, the procedure is:

1.) Connect to the 802.11 AdHoc network provided by the device
          2.) Open a socket to the IP Address that represents the WiFi scantool, which in the case of the Kiwi, you would connect to 192.168.0.10, port 35000.
          3.) Start your ELM327 command cycle (i.e. warm reset, pull protocol, supported PIDs).

-Mike

Comment

Easy enough.

I don't suppose you have a posix-compatible system [ie, OSX, Linux, Solaris] sitting around and a few minutes to try something for me, by any chance?

Gary (-;

Comment

Sure, I have a Mac and VMs of Vista, Ubuntu and CentOS. What did you want to test?

- Mike

Comment

I just implemented a "Socket" generator for obdsim, which "may" work with wifi OBDII dongles.

To try it:
                Code:
                svn co svn://svn.icculus.org/obdgpslogger/trunk obdgpslogger
                cd obdgpslogger
                mkdir build; cd build # Separate build subdir
                cmake ..
                make
                # Drops binaries in "bin" dir in top level checkout
                PATH=`pwd`/../bin:$PATH ; export PATH
                obdsim -g Socket -s host:port -o
                The "-o" on obdsim causes it to launch obdgpslogger attached to the pty it creates. Needs cmake to build, but that's about it for base compilation.

Should work on any posix-ish machine that can address the dongle. All I've been able to do so far is set it up and use it with localhost:echo.

Thank-you! I greatly appreciate it. There's no hurry on this, just whenever you find yourself a few minutes to try it :-)

Gary (-;

Comment

Hi Gary
                  If you want to set up a remote connection I can provide you with an IP address and a port number so you can access my bench based ECU range
                  Sinclair (OBDKey)

Comment

OooooOOooo. That would be fantastic!

Do you have linux, cygwin, or mac boxes?

Thanks,
                    Gary (-;

Comment

Remote access to OBDKey WiFi

Hi Gary
                      the way it would work is that i would assign you an ip address and a port number then you can access remotely using that. You wouldn't need any OS specifics from my side.
                      Sinclair

Comment

PLX KiWi WiFi initialization issue

Originally posted by mgile View Post
                        More or less, yes, for most of the WiFi devices, the procedure is:

1.) Connect to the 802.11 AdHoc network provided by the device
                        2.) Open a socket to the IP Address that represents the WiFi scantool, which in the case of the Kiwi, you would connect to 192.168.0.10, port 35000.
                        3.) Start your ELM327 command cycle (i.e. warm reset, pull protocol, supported PIDs).

-Mike
                        Hi Mike! I wrote you to you fuzzyluke support mail, I don't know if you received. BTW I write here, maybe someone else could help.

Following your procedure everything works great: I connect to the device opening a TCP Socket (LINK led stop blinking and becomes fix), requesting and reading PID data. I tried this though iphone and using telnet through terminal on a macBook connected to the PLX (in this case no socket manual creation is needed).

The only problem is that, if I don't send command for about 10 seconds, connection is closed: "connection lost by foreign host" and LINK led starts blinking again. I have to reboot the initialization process in order to play again with ECU.

Here my initialization process:

1) open TCP socket to 192.168.0.10:35000 and save input and output stream objects (OR SIMPLY: telnet 192.168.0.10:35000)
                        2) start writing to output object:
                        +<CR>
                        ATZ<CR>
                        ATE0<CR>
                        OBD commands: example: 01 0C (RPM) and answer is right 41 01 XX XX.

If no commands, connection is closed as said.
                        I also tried to set the protocol with ATSP0 (auto) and ATSP3, ATSP4, ATSP5 and after that I set the wakeup time: ATSWFF (5 seconds), without success.

Someone can help?
                        Thank you very much.
                        covitod

Comment

OBDKEY is also $296 shipped to the US.

Comment

Hey guys,

I'm interested in this stuff too.

I was amazed to find a bluetooth obd dongle out there for $16,
                            does this do what you want?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bluet...motiveQ5fTools

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                            X