Can this software be used on a regular carpc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this software be used on a regular carpc

I am very new to carpc's I have yet to install one but have followed the forums for years. I have a ford diesel and the banks power system. Banks power just released this product the Banks IQ http://www.bankspower.com/banksiq this product is stated having windows embedded built in. My question is if i were to purchase this unit and install a car pc could i use the carputer to view and control this device from the carputer touch screen. If so how would it be done im totally new and have no idea what windows embedded is in comparison to xp, vista, 7, ect. Thank you for the help in this area i want both the banks IQ and a carputer but dont want too many seperate controls for everything i would like a single piece to do it all!!!. Thanks again...
    Car PC Status
    --[-----------]

Can Someone kick me to get me motivated to start cutting up my truck

Vehicle- 2006 Ford F250 FX4 King Ranch Crew Cab Black on Tan with a Bank's Power 6.0

Windows embedded is based on windows xp and is very similar. If you can hook up that thing to a normal computer then you should be able to hook it up to a carpc too.

EDIT: looks like that thing is basically a little computer, so I dont know if you want to bother with having a carpc TOO as then you would just have 2 computers, and you probably only really need one.
    -James
    Car: 2004 GTI VR6 24v Turbo 2.8L, GT35R, 630cc, Unitronic, Bosch 044, etc, etc..
    Main PC:i7 [email protected], 6GB DDR3, MSI X-58 Pro-E, Win 7 x64 RTM, Scythe Mugen2, 128GB G.Skill Falcon, 2x ATI4850 512MB Crossfire, Auzentech X-Fi Forte, Grado Labs SR-80

Comment

lol gotta love the "HUGE" 5" touchscreen display... as oppose to tiny 5" touchscreen display....?
      ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
      2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5
      >"Say what you mean and mean what you say"<

Comment

extide... thanks for the info on embedded. how would i know if i could control it to my pc or not. or even better could i pull the software off of the unit and install it on the carpc running xp? thank you
        Car PC Status
        --[-----------]

Vehicle- 2006 Ford F250 FX4 King Ranch Crew Cab Black on Tan with a Bank's Power 6.0

Comment

The site says windows ce doesn't it?? Not windows embedded
          openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
          - Always Recruiting Developers -
          Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

your in deed right it is ce my mistake... Does that help or hurt what i want to do? thank you for pointing that out.
            Car PC Status
            --[-----------]

Comment

Originally posted by honda4x4nut View Post
              your in deed right it is ce my mistake... Does that help or hurt what i want to do? thank you for pointing that out.
              Win CE software can only be run on winCE and its derivates (like windows mobile)

Comment

ok well how about.... can windows xp, vista, or 7 run a program that allows full control of the windows ce device? if so what software is that? How about virtualization? thanks so much for the help. How
                Car PC Status
                --[-----------]

Comment

Windows CE runs on ARM (not i386) so none of the binaries are compatible with regular windows.

What do you mean 'control'? You need to think of this second device as another computer, like a cell phone or palm, running windows CE. What exactly do you want to control? This isnt a simple answer.
                  -James
                  Car: 2004 GTI VR6 24v Turbo 2.8L, GT35R, 630cc, Unitronic, Bosch 044, etc, etc..
                  Main PC:i7 [email protected], 6GB DDR3, MSI X-58 Pro-E, Win 7 x64 RTM, Scythe Mugen2, 128GB G.Skill Falcon, 2x ATI4850 512MB Crossfire, Auzentech X-Fi Forte, Grado Labs SR-80

Comment

I would like to have all of the info on the ce device displayed and changed or edited from the xp device(carpc).... ie change power setting on the ce device from the xp device. Please let me know if im still not clear... I at a loss so thanks for the help.
                    Car PC Status
                    --[-----------]

Comment

Not sure how else to say no you can't do this.

Virtualization will not let you access the hosts serial ports and an x86 build of winCE would require you to have the source to the application to recompile it.

Comment

Well that just sucks...............
                        Car PC Status
                        --[-----------]

Comment

Banks IQ is a custom hardware product

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
                          Not sure how else to say no you can't do this.

Virtualization will not let you access the hosts serial ports and an x86 build of winCE would require you to have the source to the application to recompile it.
                          I just went through this with Banks. They gave me the link to download the IQ software. I wasn't able to install it on my carpc. They said it is a customized piece of hardware.

I am not buying the Banks system. I would like to go to the switch that they sell. I would really just check the interface, then program the equivalent into my CarPC with a DIO card and resistors card. I have everything else with OBD-2.com and other applications.

If anyone has the resistances/ wiring mapped out for the Banks switch, it would be helpful.

I am worried about where they are going. They have the "proprietary Banks Buss" and all proprietary hardware. I originally bought the powerpda package just to get it to work. The docking station (custom board) died and now I need another. They only sell the IQ. Their docking station is the weak point of the palm system. The palm is still working.

From what I have seen, the IQ only has cons for me. I already have the full PC and would never need the pc in the IQ. It may not last longer than the tungsten. If it dies, only Banks can fix it. They will probably just replace with the current generation instead of fixing.

Gale (Banks). If you happen to see this.... You should open your system interfaces up to the public. Look at Iphones. There are millions of apps for these. People buy the phones to run the apps. Just imagine if you published your interfaces/protocol. Maybe something would happen like Magellen connect up to your tuners/ OBD2 interfaces. A fully connected GPS could warn the driver when he needs to fill up. They would know the remaining miles in the tank and the locations of the gas stations. Maybe Iphones could connect to you. Everyone who has kept a proprietary protocol/ no API has not kept up with the times. Those who help others with API's and open systems are usually very successful. You control the hard, under-hood issues. Lots of people will write software for you. You can certify them if you like.

People don't need 2,3,4,.. specialized computers in their cars. One will do.

Comment

Working...
                          X