DashCommand Review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DashCommand Review

Im going to be doing a review of DashCommand (for windows) and would like to make it as informative as i can so, I thought i would ask you guys if there is anything you would like included in the review.

For example; Is it compatible with windows 7? Do you Have any questions you would like answered on a specific function of the software etc etc.

So if you have any requests then please let me know and i'll try my best to review it accordingly and find the answer for you guys.

Hope to hear from you soon with your comments.

Hope everyone has a Great Christmas, take care

Best Regards

Mpg

Can DashCommand display miles per gallon used. and what pid is required ?.

Comment

I would like to get an idea for the gauge refresh rate particular with the faster mode of OBDLink and what impact multiple gauges on the same screen have (i.e. monitioring multiple pid's).

Ohh and screenshots are good.

Comment

Yes dashcommand can display MPG if you use a script to do so as it is based on a calculation of PIDs. The new Dashcommand supports scripts.
        2011 Nissan Frontier SL
        AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
        OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

Thanks for the requests, i will detail these in my review.

Hopefully will have the review completed in the next week or so.

If anyone has any more requests it would be great to have them in soon, so that i can detail them in the review for you guys?

Best Regards Michael

Comment

Nearing completion of the dashcommand review.

Anymore requests?

Comment

Sorry for the delay, but My DashCommand review is now uploaded to the site

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/revi...ml#post1369775

Comment

thank you for the review. I have downlaoded the demo and the latency for the RPM gauge is really bad. I just want to confirm whether it is a limitation the demo, since that is what's holding me back from making the purchase.

Comment

What is the year/make/model of the vehicle and what OBD-II hardware interface are you using?
                  Brian @ Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc.
                  http://www.palmerperformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by PPE View Post
                    What is the year/make/model of the vehicle and what OBD-II hardware interface are you using?
                    2008 Mazdaspeed3, and I'm using this BT OBD2 dongle:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16921

Also, receiving and displaying with Jensen NVX3000PC, running Win XP w 256mb ram and 1GHz processor.

Comment

Originally posted by Fobio View Post
                      2008 Mazdaspeed3, and I'm using this BT OBD2 dongle:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16921

Also, receiving and displaying with Jensen NVX3000PC, running Win XP w 256mb ram and 1GHz processor.
                      Hi fobio,

I an doubtful that PPE have reduced the speed for the trial version.
                      Have you added extra PID's to the data logger? some PID's can cause delays in the refresh rate of the gauges/displays, during my test of the software i had the RPM gauge running smoothly (refer to page 13 of my review)

One possibility is the slower transmission of data as you are using a bluetooth OBD interface.

"The reason Bluetooth slows things down, is because of its "burst" nature: you get very high bandwith for a very short period of time, but there is a long delay between the bursts. This works well for streaming large amounts of data (e.g., audio), but is not optimal for OBD where messages are small in size, but need to be delivered as close to real-time as possible. The situation is analogous to transporting five people via a rocket train: even though it has 5000 seats, and can get from London to Liverpool in 30 seconds, there are three hours between departures" (email from Vitaliy @ scantool.net)

All my testing in my review was performed using a usb OBDLink interface.

All your computer spec if fine as per PPE defined system requirements Link

Hope this is of help to you.
                      I will try to check this out with a new bluetooth device i have not yet tested or used, and will let you know how i get on

If you have anymore questions let me know.

Comment

Thanks Moysie!

I'm going to try it again tonight with a eee901 to eliminate the NVX3000PC as the culprit...if I can deduce it is a case of the BT dongle, then I shall look into other hardware options before making the purchase.

thx guys...

Comment

Originally posted by Moysie View Post
                          One possibility is the slower transmission of data as you are using a bluetooth OBD interface.

"The reason Bluetooth slows things down, is because of its "burst" nature: you get very high bandwith for a very short period of time..." (email from Vitaliy @ scantool.net)
                          Given that it is probably a CAN vehicle, I would personally suspect the adapter as well, but I don't think it is fair to say it is inherent to Bluetooth. It is more a matter of how BlueTooth is implemented.

On my daughter's Saturn ION (CAN, 500 Kbit), I can make about 84-90 PID reads a second over Wi-Fi. On the late model Mazdaspeed at the office (also CAN, 500 Kbit), I can get about 60-64 with the same adapter.

I haven't tried Dashcommand on either of those vehicles, but I have tried it with the exact same Wi-Fi interface on my '01 Chevy Suburban (J1850 VPW) and gotten very good gauge responsiveness (I don't know the exact polling speed because I didn't know how to get that info out of Dashcommand when I tried it). So I'm pretty sure it isn't an overtly slow RPM gauge is a software issue.

Now, here is the thing. I have a prototype of the same adapter with BlueTooth, and I can get almost (but not quite) the same performance on the same vehicles. The problem is when you take the simplest path to bluetooth, say replacing the wired serial connection to an ELM chip with an implementation of the BT "SPP" profile.

This might sound logical, but the SPP profile was seemingly designed with an old serial Hazeltine data terminal in mind. Basically keystrokes in one direction and bursts of response data in the other. The per packet latency is high, say 25-40 mS (maybe higher if both host and device have crappy SPP implementations). The ELM serial interface is small blocks of data spaced out in time. So latency can be a killer implementing BT this way.

But, just because something is the easiest path to BT doesn't mean that the performance problems it can cause are inherent in the wireless technology itself. Look at a Wii or Playstation 3, both seem to demonstrate very clearly that low latency, small data block communication over Bluetooth is readily obtainable!

-jjf

Comment

btw...I didn't add any extra PID's as yet...I have used the demmo main gauge set...then also tried a customized Mazdaspeed gauge set...now since I have the demo, I wasn't expecting anything but the RPM needle to respond, so I highly doubt it was a PID set issue, and if I did suspect that ws the case, I wouldn't even have bothered to investigate further...

I also want to mention that the BT OBD2 reader looks exactly like the blue one in construction, except it was the original batch that has a orange base from the OBD2 male plug, but a clear top with a red LED and mini-USB port. I might try to plug that thing into the carpc with USB.

Comment

So I went and tested it...

with the eee901, there's still the tiniest, but acceptable latency...so now I know it's not Dashcommand/demo or the BT dongle that is causing the issue, it is strictly my under powered NVX3000PC that hits ~90% cpu usage when Dashcommand is running.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X