Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob with ELM327 needs help!

Hi all!!

im new to all this and have recently bought an ELM327 off Ebay to try and connect to my car and read error codes etc.

BUT, im having trubble getting the thing to connect to ANY car...

Im not sure weather its driver problems or what, but i simple cant get it to connect at all, i tried differant software (DigiMoto 4.03, ScanTool and Pro scan5.1) and none no matter what i have tried will connect...

On ProScan i managed to get it to Open Serial Port, Detect Interface, Initialize interface. BUT when it came to Initialize OBD-II it failes.

Can anyone point me in the rite direction from driver or anything else they think may be the problem?

Im using a Laptop running XP.

Cheers
    Keith

Buying a knock-off ELM from ebay is a crapshoot as to if it will work or not. Chances are you got a bad one... but try opening the interface with a serial terminal (like putty or CRT) and send it commands, see if it responds correctly. perhaps try ATZ, ATI, or 010C just to see if you get responses.
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Comment

Connecting to what car?
      openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
      - Always Recruiting Developers -
      Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by malcom2073 View Post
        Buying a knock-off ELM from ebay is a crapshoot as to if it will work or not. Chances are you got a bad one... but try opening the interface with a serial terminal (like putty or CRT) and send it commands, see if it responds correctly. perhaps try ATZ, ATI, or 010C just to see if you get responses.

i have no idea what you just said... haha

But yeah, i wasnt expecting much from it as i wasnt going to fork out crap loads for something ill probobly bearly use.

and the cars i have tried to connect to are a Rover 25, new Honda Civic, New Landrover Disco, and a Corsa C.

Comment

should work fine with any of those cars...make sure the device is correctly detected as a serial port and that that serial port is correctly selected in the software you're using.

I use a $4 ELM off ebay and it works flawlessly.

Comment

Thats whats anoying me :-s

all seems fine from what i can tell...

I payed 20 for this thing... lol

Comment

Did you double check both of those things?

Comment

What error does it give? Like BUSY, UNABLE TO CONNECT, DATA ERROR, BUS ERROR, CAN ERROR?

Comment

If i check my device manager its setup at Com3 and the software is also looking to that port so i belive it is setup right...

And as for errors, on Digimoto i get Unable To Connect.

And i think on Scan Tool it said Bus error...

What would be best to do to give you a better error report?

Comment

The ScanTool guys have a nice simple app called STNTerm
                    http://www.scantool.net/scantool/downloads/utilities/

That can give a little more raw info.

Comment

Not sire if i was suppose to type anything... but i press every one of them buttons and all seems ok except the last one!

Comment

So you are connecting to the Elm ok, just not to the vehicle.
                        Besure to have Vehicle turned on when connecting?

Comment

all the cars i have tried this on have been turned on :-s

Comment

Yeah, it looks like it's working but not hearing anything from the ECU. I wonder if these things have bad cables or something?

Comment

i just gave it another go on my Rover 25 and the Land Rover and the landrover connected for a long while Via Digimoto but bearly anything worked.

Then tried my Rover and it bearly worked for like 20 seconds then died again.

hmmmm stressfull....

So you are thinking it could possibly be the Serial to OBD-II cable thats fluffed?

Comment

Working...
                              X