Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi A4 OBDII Protocol?

Hi,
    I currently own an Audi A4 Quattro 1997, I have found the OBD-II port, but cannot seem to connect to it with any software. (I have tried PCMSCAN, DashCommand etc, to no avail)
    The OBD-II port has 3 connections, see the pic.

Is there any missing?

I use a cheap chinese ELM 327 reader (USB) which works perfectly with my Mazda MPV.

Any ideas as to why I cannot connect to my Audi?
    1997 Audi A4 Quattro Car-PC Worklog

Just to confirm, where are you located? Are you sure your vehicle is OBD2 compliant?

That being said, there's a reason the cheap chinese units are... well.... cheap. They don't work with all cars.
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Comment

Just to confirm, where are you located? Are you sure your vehicle is OBD2 compliant?
      I am in New Zealand. The car was made in Germany, then exported and sold (new) in japan. Then came over to New Zealand 5 years ago.

That being said, there's a reason the cheap chinese units are... well.... cheap. They don't work with all cars.
      Yea, I thought it could be the cable. I just wanted to know if even the origional VAG-COM cable will work with the 3 pins in the ODBII port? If so, Ill buy one of them.

Comment

I am in New Zealand, the Audi was made in germany then exported to Japan (new) then imported to NZ.

True, So would getting a VAG-COM cable be worth it?

Comment

If you live outside the USA, then OBD2 has no meaning and does not apply to your vehicle.
          You need VCDS which can read ALL systems, including ABS, Airbag, Airco, etc.
          That is sold by ross-tech.

Comment

The current cable that I have (Chinese ELM327) works fine on my Mazda MPV though..

Comment

I feel your frustration!

Hey NZ Hawk.

I'm Having troubles reading my ECU as well. I'm Using Dash Command with the PPE OBDii link. It all works great with the other cars i've hooked up to but.....with mine......no real luck.

It will read only 22 PID's out of 220 or so. Doesn't even include RPM.

After talking to the support guru's at PPE, they are certain that their software supports my car and have suggested that my ECU may have been reflashed at some point.

Is this possible with yours?

Anyway, my cars going to the Subaru doctors tomorrow to get hooked up to the "real" ECU computer and all should be revealed. Fingers crossed.

PB21

Comment

Hmmm, My car has definintaly been reflashed. Some performance mod by the previous owner...
                Could this be the issue!?, Damm.

Comment

Fingers crossed

Hmmmm yes, could possibly be the problem

The tech i've been talking to at Subaru here in Wellies is quite keen to see Dash command working as well so, with a bit of luck, he'll help me get it working tomorrow.
                  It's possible my ECU may need to be reflashed either back to Subaru specs or possibly just with an updated ROM.

Anyways, will try and let you know how it goes tommorow

Heres hoping

Comment

Damn, thats crap, buying a VAG-COM cable to see if it is my crappy cable, which I sincerly hope it is lol.

I am interested to see how yours go, keep me updated! Thanks!

Comment

A while back I made up a VAG-COM compatible serial cable for a friend. Its actually quite easy to make and from what I remember the cable available off the net requires a certain version of VAG-COM software to work.. This should give you a head start. I managed to re-calibrate the throttle body and worked out the dash gauge test sequence. I didn't monitor the serial commands but im sure its quite easily done with a serial analyzer or logic analyzer.

-Hope this helps.

Comment

No Luck :0(

Well,

Went into Subaru service today. They hooked up the ECU to the factory diagnostic system and it appears my ECU is completely stock and not modified in any way.

We also tried dash command on 2 other legacy's while i was there, one newer, one older.

The older Legacy worked 100% while the newer Legacy wouldn't even establish a connection.

It appears at this stage that dash command doesnt support Subaru's (or at least Legacy's) past about 2003. I have however contacted the PPE techs again and I'm still hopeful of coming up with a solution and getting it working. It's a fantastic little program!

If your Audi has definately been re-flashed then I suppose it's possible that it could be causing you issues.

Anyways, good luck for getting it working. Hopefully it won't take too much

PB21

Comment

Interesting. I cant wait to see if my cable is causing me problems.
                          I dont see how a modified ECU is to blame though, they only change a few parameters no ?

Did you take any pics of DashCommand working? :P

Comment

No I didnt take any photos but there is a video on youtube showing it working.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQplsXqmaMk[/media]

Personally i wouldn't have thought a re-flashed ECU would be the problem either but the PPE techs suggested that as a possible cause so yeah........don't really know.

Anyways good luck

Look forward to hearing if you get it going

Comment

@Civic Modz

How did you create the cable? any pics/guides?

Comment

Working...
                              X