microOBD 200: complete OBD interface in DIP-24

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• microOBD 200: complete OBD interface in DIP-24

microOBD 200 is the smallest commercially available OBD module. First production units are expected to become available in July. For those interested, the brief and STN11xx datasheet are available from www.microOBD.com.

Description

microOBD 200 is a quick and easy way to add OBD support to any embedded project. It is a complete OBD-II to UART interface in a DIP-24 form factor, designed for in-vehicle applications. microOBD 200 uses an enhanced version of the popular ELM327 command set, supports UART speeds up to 10 Mbps and is firmware upgradeable.

Key Features

* Supports all legislated OBD-II protocols and J1939 (heavily duty vehicles)
    * Fully compatible with the ELM327 command set
    * Extended "ST" command set for access to advanced functionality not available in the ELM327
    * UART interface
    * Bootloader for easy firmware upgrades
    * Large memory buffer
    * Solid automatic protocol detection algorithm, connects to more vehicles reliably
    * Smart keep-alive algorithm helps ensure a stable connection on ISO and KWP vehicles
    * Dimensions: 1.3" x 0.59"

Supported OBD Protocols

* SAE J1850 PWM
    * SAE J1850 VPW
    * SAE J1939
    * ISO 9141-2
    * ISO 14230-4 (KWP 2000)
    * ISO 15765-4 (CAN)
    * ISO 11898 (raw CAN)
    OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
    Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

microOBD appeared in CircuitCellar's New Products for July section:

OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
    Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

Comment

Great, just what I have been waiting for!

Comment

What is your project?

Comment

I am working on a standalone virtual dash using a PIC and a 2.8" color touchscreen display. It kind of fills the gap between a full blown carputer and a basic handheld scantool. This module will simplify my board layout considerably.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
            I am working on a standalone virtual dash using a PIC and a 2.8" color touchscreen display. It kind of fills the gap between a full blown carputer and a basic handheld scantool. This module will simplify my board layout considerably.
            Cool. Have you considered documenting and publishing your project?

Our company will pay $3k to the first person who gets his article featuring microOBD 200 published in a major electronics magazine. More details here:

http://old.nabble.com/microOBD-200-a...o29157656.html

Vitaliy

Comment

Well, that certainly gives me some incentive to get to work !
              I'll have to put my order in soon.

Comment

I absolutely LOVE this product... The shipping delays were killing me because I already have a completed product built around this, scantool.net gave me a $25 gift card to appologize for the wait, now that is what I call customer service!

I ordered my circuit boards before I even got the microobd200 units in... popped it into the dip socket and worked like a charm!

will be ordering 100 units soon!
                e46|700tsv 2005 model|sb51g xpc2.4ghz opus 150|I-bus|XM Direct&cables | slim slot USB DVD-cdrw|Hawking 54g|iGuidance 2.1-HoluxGPS
                sold it all... :-(

Coming Soon - 2007 BMW 335i UMPC install

Comment

Awesome stuff. What are you actually implementing? Can we see it?

Gary (-;
                  OBDGPSLogger, for logging OBDII and/or GPS data
                  OBDSim, an OBDII/ELM327 software simulator
                  mp3car forums: obdgpslogger, obdsim

Comment

Originally posted by chunkyks View Post
                    Awesome stuff. What are you actually implementing? Can we see it?

Gary (-;
                    Its a multi-gauge / usb scantool... the gauge, which is enclosed in car specific molded or laser cut enclosures to integrate into the dash cleanly functions as an obd2 multi-gauge, and also has 3 analog inputs for other sensors that obd2 lacks on lots of cars (boost, wideband, etc)... it then allows you to plug it into a computer for use as a ELM compatible scantool for further diagnostics without the need to buy another tool.

I have a photo of one installed into my 2010 audi a5, I just need to get permission from my business partners before posting it.

Would be nice to have an obdsim so I didn't have to run out to the car to test my code!

-Rick
                    e46|700tsv 2005 model|sb51g xpc2.4ghz opus 150|I-bus|XM Direct&cables | slim slot USB DVD-cdrw|Hawking 54g|iGuidance 2.1-HoluxGPS

Comment

Awesome stuff.

Someone should write a software obdsim like that; not having to drag my laptop out to my car and squish it between my fat belly and the steering wheel would be awesome.

Gary (-;

Comment

You mean like this one?
                        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                        Want to:
                        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Yes! Whoever wrote that is some kind of awesome hero upon whom accolades should be showered.

I'll bet that he saved himself freaking HOURS of IRRITATING DEBUGGING by writing that.

Comment

Originally posted by chunkyks View Post
                            Yes! Whoever wrote that is some kind of awesome hero upon whom accolades should be showered.

I'll bet that he saved himself freaking HOURS of IRRITATING DEBUGGING by writing that.
                            True... now if only I could figure out how to get it running for my application!

Is there a compiled windows version of the latest build that I could get somewhere? Also, my project is microcontroller based, not software on a PC, so I would need to set the obdsim to talk on a real serial port which would obviously go to my level shifter to get 5v TTL needed by my microcontroller's UART...

Here is my product... the brain of the unit (which contains the microobd200) is in a hide-away box, and it can also be used as an auxiliary display for my car-pc to show any info that is easier to read on this rather than the LCD.

Comment

Sure, the latest windows build is here:
                              http://icculus.org/obdgpslogger/down...2010-09-11.zip

As for treating imagining it's a hardware sim by using your serial port; in windows, point the COM port at a real COM port with the "-w" option, and you're good to go [no com0com needed]. Under Linux, use the "-t" option similarly.

Your device looks awesome when will it be available, and how much will you be selling it for?

Gary (-;

Comment

Working...
                              X