Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Startup/shutdown engine via ODB-II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Startup/shutdown engine via ODB-II

    I am at the very very early stages of planning my Car-PC. I am a ham radio operator, and intend to integrate my radios into the system. With this, there are times when I would like to use them away from the car, and would like to control the car's engine (for use as a generator) via ODB-II. I would also like to include some security so that without my previously entering a code, it kills the engine if a password isn't entered in a certain amount of time, or before the car is put in gear...

    Does anyone know if this control via the OBD-II is possible? Anyone know of any projects that implement some of what I have suggested that I could research?

  • #2
    Originally posted by kc8ufv View Post
    I am at the very very early stages of planning my Car-PC. I am a ham radio operator, and intend to integrate my radios into the system. With this, there are times when I would like to use them away from the car, and would like to control the car's engine (for use as a generator) via ODB-II. I would also like to include some security so that without my previously entering a code, it kills the engine if a password isn't entered in a certain amount of time, or before the car is put in gear...

    Does anyone know if this control via the OBD-II is possible? Anyone know of any projects that implement some of what I have suggested that I could research?
    What kind of car do you have? None of these things can be done using generic OBD-II, but on certain vehicles you can indeed start or kill the engine by sending messages on the bus.

    Vitaliy
    OBDLink MX: world's smallest, fastest, most advanced OBD/Bluetooth adapter with SW and MS CAN support. Read the review to learn more.
    Need to look up a diagnostic trouble code? Try the most up-to-date, free DTCsearch.com!

    You cannot send me a private message using this forum. Use my email instead: vitaliy[@]scantool.net.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Vitaliy View Post
      What kind of car do you have? None of these things can be done using generic OBD-II, but on certain vehicles you can indeed start or kill the engine by sending messages on the bus.

      Vitaliy
      kill can be done with some CAN messages but can engine start really be done? I thought they used rolling ciphers and all that good stuff so that a thief can't plugin a laptop and override the engine immobilizer?
      openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
      - Always Recruiting Developers -
      Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

      Comment


      • #4
        Sorry, I realized I should have put details about my car in last night right after I hit the submit button.

        I have a 2005 Dodge Stratus sedan with a V6 engine, and an aftermarket remote starter. I know, I could always interface into a starter remote to start the car, but it would be nice to do it via the OBD-II connection. I intend to have the OBD-II in use for other information and diagnostics, especially since my car is already over 100K mi

        Comment


        • #5
          Interfacing with the remote start is going to be the only method that you will find success. The Status (if equipped with an immobilizer) uses a security algorithm that is not trivial to crack. The immobilizer does, however go over the vehicle's data wires, but, again, you would need to crack the algorithm and secret key.

          You would also need to simulate a key turn as this vehicle does not support sending a message to crank the engine. This key turn is an analog mux output that has 0-12v range. You would need to connect this to some sort of analog output on a micro-controller board (arduino might work). You can find the key state values by tapping into the key mux wire at the key ring. You could alternatively use a resister latter output if you don't want to use an analog device. I'm not quite sure what the resister values should be.

          As you can see this is not an easy task. Depending on what type of remote starter you have you may be able to simply trigger the remote start to crank and put out a 12V output on a Brake wire to cancel the remote start.
          Hack your car's CAN BUS at www.canbushack.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
            kill can be done with some CAN messages but can engine start really be done? I thought they used rolling ciphers and all that good stuff so that a thief can't plugin a laptop and override the engine immobilizer?

            Yes, start can be done. Some remote start systems use CAN messages from the WCM (wireless control module) to initiate the remote start sequence. I had a windows mobile phone talking over bluetooth to an ELM327 that would do this.

            Comment

            Working...
            X